Author Topic: Laird getting worked at Malibu  (Read 12650 times)

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Laird getting worked at Malibu
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 11:11:37 PM »
My observation from watching Malibu on the web cam is that basic surfing etiquette is thrown out and its a bit of a free for all regardless of the size. On one of the days from the surf generated by this Hurricane there was nearly 200 out in the water with everyone dropping in on everyone. Just seems to be the way it is at that break.  No offense So Cal folks, but really glad I live in Maui after watching that circus in the water. 

Killafornia

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »
Who is this?

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »
it was just as crazy  in santa cruz but not all  places  in cal are like that  just like  probably not all places in maui are sup friendly. My understanding is that  locals there don't really like  haoles. especially  old fat one with beards. Is this true?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 03:59:02 PM »
just looking at that wave and  i see at least 4 guys trying to paddle up the face directly in front of 2 boards   Yeah that is  crazy  and no etiquette what so ever.  don't get me wrong that sup guy  is also way out of line unless he is falling and also out of control.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »
as for laird verbally assaulting anothe surfer if that surfer was doing what any of those guys in that photo are doing,   the guys paddling up the face, the short boarder who dropped in and the sup who appears to be  hacking the head off of the  dropper inner, were doing he  probably deserved it.   

I always heard that  you acted with respect or got  taught respect later  especially in hawaii.

beachcruzer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 04:00:13 PM »
Who is this?

That dude on the SUP is just bailing off his board. Look at the photo . . . he's a least 3-5 feet in front of the guy on the shortboard. He's not taking a hack at the shortboarder and wouldn't come close if he tried!

beachcruzer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
He caught an outside bomb and three proners - surfers cut him off.  He had to straighten out and take a very long set on the head then get dragged south to near the pier.

So who's the douche now?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 10:17:06 PM »
Who is this?

That dude on the SUP is just bailing off his board. Look at the photo . . . he's a least 3-5 feet in front of the guy on the shortboard. He's not taking a hack at the shortboarder and wouldn't come close if he tried!
Whether he's taking a hack, or just bailing off his board without a leash.....both are way wrong IMO.  Guys like him are screwing it up for all of us. 

Surf some crowded places long enough, and you're going to be surfing around folks paddling out....if you don't have the ability to surf around them, sure as hell don't bail an untethered board in their direction!

I've had to avoid more than one loose, bailed board coming at me sideways through the surf, and I can tell you, it's one of the most frustrating, and helpless feelings you can get out there....not to mention dangerous.

I'm sure there's more to the story than what that single picture shows, but just from the looks of it on the surface....it doesn't appear he has any business, out there in that lineup.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »
Who is this?

Whether he's taking a hack, or just bailing off his board without a leash.....both are way wrong IMO.  Guys like him are screwing it up for all of us. 

Surf some crowded places long enough, and you're going to be surfing around folks paddling out....if you don't have the ability to surf around them, sure as hell don't bail an untethered board in their direction!

I've had to avoid more than one loose, bailed board coming at me sideways through the surf, and I can tell you, it's one of the most frustrating, and helpless feelings you can get out there....not to mention dangerous.

I'm sure there's more to the story than what that single picture shows, but just from the looks of it on the surface....it doesn't appear he has any business, out there in that lineup.
Not so sure that he doesn't have a leash  maybe you just can't see it from that photo  and is it possible he is bailing to avoid the shortboarder who dropped in on him or the 4 or 5 guys prone paddling up the face in front of him.  That being said  I think this defines a zoo.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 10:54:38 AM »
Looks like a lame little scam.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 12:56:10 PM »
Might be a regular thing for this guy at Malibu

http://www.surfimages.com/blog/2012/06/05/vince-klyn-accused-of-assault/

Just realized this is Warchild from Point Break!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:58:27 PM by DesertSweeper »

beachcruzer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
Who is this?

Yeah, didn't notice that he wasn't wearing a leash. That changes things. It's a kook move anyway you slice it. Just don't think calling it assault is remotely accurate. Hope that log didn't take anybody out.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »
Pretty funny picture sequence. Both of those guys look like PIA people I'd want to avoid.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »
ditto

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 06:09:11 PM »
Might be a regular thing for this guy at Malibu

http://www.surfimages.com/blog/2012/06/05/vince-klyn-accused-of-assault/

Just realized this is Warchild from Point Break!

I met Vince when I was living in LA. Seemed like a mellow guy just happy to still be able to on the water despite his accident.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
April 26, 2024, 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut