Author Topic: Boards for 300lb folks?  (Read 25940 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Boards for 300lb folks?
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 02:56:39 AM »
...as a pure wave ridding board there is NOTHING LOOSER and faster down the line.

Accusations that I said my boards are the "best" and everything else "sucks" are absurd...
Please use the quote function
and show me where I have said that...actual text...words...facts...it's easy to use...
Just because I'm not a cheerleader for your brand...or, perhaps I used to be, doesn't mean that I say, or said, your brand "sucks"...

Case in point, is where I challenged Jim's fanatical Fanatic statement above on page 1 of this thread, that "there is NOTHING LOOSER and faster down the line"...if there is not a double standard in effect here, then playing by the same rules, that says that EVERYTHING ELSE IS SLOWER AND STIFFER...EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS...EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD JUST STOP MAKING BOARDS...GAME OVER...;-)

The manufacturer is not making hyperbolic statements like that about their product...a fanatical dealer is...;-)

Plenty of places to buy boards these days...a few more than when we started...;-)
Our market continues to grow...and, it's the same with any other good company...

The customer service at our shop is exceptional...and, has been for 15 years...we've stoked out 1000's of people with the right board, the first time...
Our customer testimonials speak volumes...

http://surfingsports.com/customer_testimonials.asp

We are also quite responsive with email and phone calls...my staff is hooked up from start to finish everyday answering questions and helping folks...plus, fielding questions on social media...well over 10,000 friends and fans on Facebook...etc...we try to answer every single question the best we can in a timely fashion...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2014, 03:40:59 AM »
I called five different shops a year ago. The only one that never returned my calls was in Santa Barbara..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 05:03:16 AM »
I don't think I saw Rob ask specifically about wave riding.
I have a Hooked and a Fisherman. I find them both more than stable tho I am about 75 lbs shy of the target customer here. The Hooked is far more stable in rougher water. I think it has to do with the tail shape mostly, very similiar to the Odyesseus board.
The one thing I can take away from this thread that I will post is that I see nothing noting the Fisherman as a candidate, whether concurring or disagreeing its recommendation, from one of the first shops I could find anything about on it tho it is mentioned in a previous post from a different shop. It does seem to be past over so as to disagree with other suggestions.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2014, 05:16:38 AM »
I have a Hooked and a Fisherman. I find them both more than stable tho I am about 75 lbs shy of the target customer here. The Hooked is far more stable in rougher water. I think it has to do with the tail shape mostly, very similiar to the Odyesseus board.
The one thing I can take away from this thread that I will post is that I see nothing noting the Fisherman as a candidate, whether concurring or disagreeing its recommendation, from one of the first shops I could find anything about on it tho it is mentioned in a previous post from a different shop. It does seem to be past over so as to disagree with other suggestions.

Thank you for noticing. That was one of my recommendations..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2014, 05:28:26 AM »

Wardog, you know I love you, 4 boards and numerous visits tell my story.  Seriously from a long time customer, your tone on these posts needs some finesse.  All here are SUP supporters, I  wouldn't want negativity to drive a potential sale away from you and the crew at sup sports.  Please reconsider some the the direct attacks, It is considered rather unpolished forum protocol.  I believe I've earned the right to say two things, you're a good guy and the tone of recent postings is not an accurate representation of your stoke.

Wardog, you know I love you, 4 boards and numerous visits tell my story.  Seriously from a long time customer, your tone on these posts needs some finesse.  All here are SUP supporters, I  wouldn't want negativity to drive a potential sale away from you and the crew at sup sports.  Please reconsider some the the direct attacks, It is considered rather unpolished forum protocol.  I believe I've earned the right to say two things, you're a good guy and the tone of recent postings is not an accurate representation of your stoke.

"Sorry Jim...but, this is not Facebooklandia...unless, you want it to be...;-)
Every day happy happy...sunny sunny...teddy bears and flowers...peaches and cream...;-)"

Has a Facebook Account, lives there too. Slams loyal customers that try to help.

"I have a degree in Oceanography...and, geology...plus, engineering...etc...a lifetime in enviro science...and, I don't try and tell you how to run your business...just saying...;-)"

Is that a Triple BS, you also Pile it Higher and Deeper.

"Believe me, there is a fundamental difference between hobbyists and those that are creating/manufacturing product and trying to make a living in the sport...walk a mile in my shoes...consider the ramifications of forum activity in your own industry as a business owner/entrepreneur..."

This is a Democracy. Perhaps you will do better in a Totalitarian State like the way you run your business (bubble).

"My tone is my tone...take it or leave it...I speak the truth...read my written words very carefully...I do not claim anything that is not absolute and true..."

We all drank the koolaid and believe that. Keep pouring.

"Call me a maverick or whatever...but, I'm not afraid to call BS on unproven hyperbole...and, that is a bitter pill for some to swallow..."

Maverick is not the first word that comes to mind.
You would recommend Blue Planet (something you never carried) over a brand you used to carry and endorse.

"Fact is, you have a number of people that come on here trying their damdest for whatever reason, to influence a couple dozen people...pretending they have no brand or shop affiliation...in actuality, it's downright ludicrous...I can go down the list of icons and pin each poster to their preferred brand...it kind of reduces objectivity...and, then there are people shilling other people's stuff out of a garage with no overhead on Craigslist, and the like, and it's is slowly eroding viability...authenticity and legitimacy,  of innovation and progression...in this sport, IMO...whatevers..."

Objectivity is skewed when you "Focus" on One Brand.

"Meanwhile...others try and pretend that they actually have a *real* store and have *real* employees with *real* operating hours...etc...and, all that comes along with being legit...paying taxes...work comp...etc...but, fact is it's not true...these days, any 15 year old with a modicum of skill, can throw a SUP web store up in an hour...and, it's off to the races..."

Like you say, run your business your way. Some of us have Kids and actual responsibilities beyond self indulgence. You don't have to pay for workers comp for family.
Stores that are run by Father, Mother, Sons and Daughters (dogs and cats) are truly Mom & Pop's Shops.

"As far as finesse...hmmm...we'll be alright...we're coming up on 10 years with standup paddle sports in our name...and, nobody else can claim that...yet...;-)"

Claim it..but no barrel

What is the difference between Genius and Stupidity?

Stupidity has no bounds...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2014, 05:49:07 AM »
++++++Ralph!! The constant barrage of long photos is a distinct turn-off. As an ex-corporate marketing Gumby I would conduct a survey to see whether of not the current methodology is having the desired effect. I doubt it! But that us just a personal opinion..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2014, 06:12:51 AM »

We have used the Fisherman in the past for guys over 300#...for some, it's overkill...all depends on ability and whether the paddler plans on staying over 300#...

Kevin was 310# in the pic below, with two of his sons on it as well...he is now down in the 260# range riding our 9'5" x 33" Hammer...we've had several clients make this same exact downsizing...

We've also had a number of clients successfully go from the 11'6" NSP to our 9'5" x 33" Hammer...and, they couldn't be more stoked...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2014, 06:19:29 AM »
I called five different shops a year ago. The only one that never returned my calls was in Santa Barbara..

We're not the only shop in SB...but. if you are saying it was my store, I'd like to know...that would be an anomaly if it is the case...fact is, we have a voice mail to text conversion service for missed calls that leaves an audio file and also pings by email and text...so, I can easily look that info up in the archives with a name, date, or number...additionally, every staff member gets the same email on their smartphones...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2014, 06:49:17 AM »
Objectivity is skewed when you "Focus" on One Brand.

"Meanwhile...others try and pretend that they actually have a *real* store and have *real* employees with *real* operating hours...etc...and, all that comes along with being legit...paying taxes...work comp...etc...but, fact is it's not true...these days, any 15 year old with a modicum of skill, can throw a SUP web store up in an hour...and, it's off to the races..."

Like you say, run your business your way. Some of us have Kids and actual responsibilities beyond self indulgence. You don't have to pay for workers comp for family.
Stores that are run by Father, Mother, Sons and Daughters (dogs and cats) are truly Mom & Pop's Shops.

"As far as finesse...hmmm...we'll be alright...we're coming up on 10 years with standup paddle sports in our name...and, nobody else can claim that...yet...;-)"

Claim it..but no barrel

What is the difference between Genius and Stupidity?

Stupidity has no bounds...

As a mom and pop one stop SUP shop, I'm quite familiar with all of the big corporate windsurf brands...;-)
That "one brand" focus that you are referring to Ralph, comes after years of riding and selling many other brand's boards...helping them with design and product improvement...etc...Starboard, Naish, NSP, Boardworks, Exocet...Jimmy Lewis, Surftech...Bark, Imagine...Blair, Bill Foote, Coreban...Mistral, Amundson...Uli...SOS...etc...etc...and, focusing our efforts on offering better designs and value...plus, trying to build as much product here in California as we can...

Besides, we do sell our clients other brands from our shop, if our line doesn't offer what they need...haven't seen too many board companies not jump at the opportunity to put their boards in our shop these days...;-)

My wife and I own our store 100%...that's mom and pop...me and Deb...we're stoked to also employ great folks from the community...several have had lifeguard and fireman careers...

You seem to have a lot of advice about running a SUP retail operation...do you actually operate a brick and mortar SUP retail store?
Sorry, it's a bit confusing these days about what actually constitutes a SUP business...;-)

p.s. I'm baffled by your innuendo and indirect name calling of "stupidity"..."totalitarianism"..."nuts"...etc...don't think that I have thrown that your way...whatevers...if you would like to, we can talk about it face to face...perhaps some of your wisdom will rub off...;-)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:52:51 AM by SUPsports »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2014, 07:54:52 AM »
"Fanatic AW 9'10 (You know I was gonna say THAT!) but as a pure wave ridding board there is NOTHING LOOSER and faster down the line. Plus the rails are thick enough to give the 33" plenty of stability and grab"

BS!!!
Please post up pics of yourself proving your statement...show me (us) real pics of wave riding that proves that statement...quite frankly, I haven't seen it...just saying it doesn't make it so...sorry...BS filter in effect...

Real pictures...not graphical representations from big Euro based corporate windsurf companies add credibility where I come from...;-)

It's a little unprofessional to be attacking other dealers on this board.  It may be counterproductive to your sales too.  As a potential customer, I am not inclined to buy from you after reading your comments to other sponsors here and in another place on the Zone. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2014, 07:59:46 AM »
++++++Ralph!! The constant barrage of long photos is a distinct turn-off. As an ex-corporate marketing Gumby I would conduct a survey to see whether of not the current methodology is having the desired effect. I doubt it! But that us just a personal opinion..

Agree.  SupSports, if you must post so many promotional photos, could you at least resize them so they don't use up so much real estate on the board.  Maybe cut down the resolution too, so they are easier to scroll. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:03:37 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2014, 09:05:44 AM »
I have to throw out some props to Jim K and others such as Easy Rider as well. Living in a somewhat isolated area in BC has it's drawbacks, but the benefits are that I get to order gear from dealers in two different countries.  I have purchased a board from Warren a province over in Edmonton and Jim sent my Kenalu from the States not long ago. These guys are cordial, and will promote their wares here, but in a kind and professional manner. They will both assert themselves in a discussion on the zone, but also know when to back down, or just keep it mellow. Other dealers should follow their lead.

Calling other dealers out for so called 'BS' in the way that is being done here with very little tact, is really disappointing to say the least. Especially when it comes from another shop owner. Speaking of BS. I recall boasting of an 11 foot surfboard not long ago besting 12'6" and even 14 footers in 'GPS' testing. No specifics. Nothing on how these tests were done, nothing mentioned course length, conditions, or times. Nothing about paddler ability, who these paddlers were or any other variables. No video of these so called tests either. No actual proof. Just words on the web. Just endless boasting and chest beating, along with countless pictures continually inundating this website. Over the top man.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:18:31 AM by robon »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2014, 09:35:21 AM »
OK...I get it...

FANATICS ARE THE BESTEST FASTEST MOST LOOSE SUP ON THE WAVE FACE BAR NONE...and, don't you question it, either...

Now that that issue is settled...hmmm...a forum where nothing goes challenged and you can say whatevers...as long as you give discounts...

So much for my discount...BTW, Fanatic's logo should be a hornet...HOLY FREAKIN' SHMOLY!...;-)

Speaking of BS. I recall boasting of an 11 foot surfboard not long ago besting 12'6" and even 14 footers in 'GPS' testing. No specifics. Nothing on how these tests were done, nothing mentioned course length, conditions, or times. Nothing about paddler ability, who these paddlers were or any other variables. No video of these so called tests either. No actual proof. Just words on the web.

ummm...don't take my word for it...Rod did a pretty good job laying it out in this testimonial about our 11'1" One World...we have others...and, of course, the 11'11" One World Surfari is even faster...but, I won't bore you with the BS...or, pics...;-)

3/16/13
Subject: One World 11’1″
Hi Paige and Warren,
My One World got to Miami in perfect shape. Great packing job.
It took a week for the wind to finally come down (actually its been months ) so this morning it was time to launch the board for the first time.
By the way did I say how beautiful the double sided Australian Pine is , well it is!
The board is a pleasure to carry , I weighed it when I got it and its 27 lbs , 4 pounds lighter than my old 12′ Naish Glide . The One World paddles as fast as my Starboard 12’6″ x 31″ and the Glide. I am not a fast paddler . This morning I averaged 3.5 mph on my 3.38 mile paddle per my Garmin GPS.
The board does have incredible glide for an 11’1″ board . Better than all of my other boards .
It is also very stable which makes it easy to take pictures from . I only used the WD 9.25 Free Weed instead of the thruster setup and the board paddles quite straight .
I am very happy with the board and thanks for all the extras . Thanks to the Stand Up Paddle Sports crew , this is my fourth board that I have bought from you and it has always been a pleasure .
Rod Perry (Miami, FL)

This post had no pics...so, I suppose that cuts a post where I put 3 pics up in 1/2, as an average...
I must be the only person that actually uses a desktop computer on broadband...my bad...sheesh...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2014, 09:45:34 AM »
I don't think snarky replies are the answer.  Maybe you could use a photo editor to cut down the file size of the pictures you post.  They are too big and it's annoying to have to scroll to see the entire picture and to have your images take up so much real estate.  I'm using a fairly high screen resolution too.  Smaller files would make things more convenient for your customers. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:15:07 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »
Thanks for the new Odysseus Pics, DJ.  Looks like a fun family and friends board and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger.  As long as I can outpaddle those short surfing sups on slow and sloppy waves, I'll be happy.  Funny, on the Naish site the picture still shows "ODYSSEY".

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf