Author Topic: Advice Simsup and Hammer, East Coast.  (Read 9454 times)

OilheadCJ_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Advice Simsup and Hammer, East Coast.
« on: June 30, 2014, 05:12:31 AM »
Hello.  I'm sorry to ask one of these questions, but I don't have access to either board where I am (Atlantic City, NJ area), and was hoping for some advice.

I am currently on a 9'7" surf tech channel islands caddi, volume is 144, width a hair under 30 per the specs.  I'm 6'1", 170lbs, and have been SUSing about 1 year, with no significant prior surfing experience.

While I intend to keep this board, since it is a really fun ride, I am interested in a Simmons style board, but am not sure if it is right for the area I am in, or for me. 

I was looking at the 8'11" Hammer, and the 8'8" S2 or S3 from Original SimSUP.  Those sizes because I would like to keep the volume about the same as what i am on, and because where we surf, there is a bit of a paddle out to get to the break, and to get back in.

I know this is a very subjective question, so I am hoping for some general thoughts. 

Thanks in advance for your advice, I do appreciate it.

OilheadCJ_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Simsup and Hammer, East Coast.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:41:14 AM »
I'm an idiot.  How do I move this to the Gear forum?  My apologies.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:16:39 AM »
Don't sweat it, if Admin feels it needs to go he'll move it, but no harm done. I consider the topics to be like a menu in a restaurant. A set of suggestions and an ingredient list. Might piss off the chef (Admin) sometimes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 08:39:11 AM »
Welcome to the zone. Can't help you with moving the post, but can say I think you're on the right track with those boards. For typical East Coast conditions, going shorter while keeping good width through the nose and tail can be a really good call. They can be very lively and make better use of the rather limited wave faces we have, where boards like that might fit better in those sectiony pockets. Without all the nose of a bigger board in front of you, you'll find yourself taking whole new approaches to what you can do on a wave.

As for paddling, they won't be as fast as your present board, but that width fore and aft will make them surprisingly stable. You might even want to consider, at your weight, going even a little bit shorter than you're thinking, especially as you're going to keep the CI Caddie. Good luck.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 09:05:27 AM »

I am currently on a 9'7" surf tech channel islands caddi, volume is 144, width a hair under 30 per the specs.  I'm 6'1", 170lbs, and have been SUSing about 1 year, with no significant prior surfing experience.

I'd recommend going down to at least 130L if you are comfortable on your 144L.  I am 155lb and very comfortable on a 7'10 x 30" x 4.25" 118L Simmons style board (Infinity Phoenix v2). 

Maybe go 31" wide since you are taller. 
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:20:12 AM »
Simmons shapes ride different than rounded pins, and it took me a while to get in the habit of repositioning my rear foot on cutbacks and other turns.  I like how they surf but they do have a different feel, and I love how easy they are to catch waves on.

A good person to talk to about these is Linter, he's owned both models you mentioned, he's east coast, and he may even have more than just advice to offer...(I heard he was planning to sell one of his boards soon).  You could do a search for his threads on his Simsup, Hammer, and new pig.   I'd also agree with anon that 130-135 would probably be optimal, liter wise.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »
I'm really a fan of L41 SIMSUPs - especially the latest ST model. I put up a review recently on the Zone. It is super stable and really surfs much narrower than it's width. Surprisingly I've found lately that it holds a good line in the bigger stuff. I'm 6'1" 230lbs and 136 liters is plenty for me and I don't have ninja balance at all. I surf beach breaks in San Diego.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »
thanks, jim, for calling me into this thread, but i don't think what i say will be of much help, since i've never ridden an L41 of the type the OP is contemplating.  plus, it sounds like he wants more performance than anything i've ridden (and, if that's indeed the case, he might prefer the L4 to the Hammer, which more of an all-arounder).

let me say this, however.  since my supig arrived 2 months ago, i haven't wanted to ride anything else. in small summertime EC waves, this thing is unbelievable in terms of the fun factor.  i mean, i've been having a blast in shin high surf, leaning into pivot turns and just cruising along.  mine weighs 30 pounds and that gives it tremendous glide and swing weight.  it will catch a ripple and it will stay on that ripple for miles.  i loooove trying right-go-left turns on take off, and the supig does this majestically (whenh im up to the task).

put another way: i have a brand-spanking new hammer in my garage, and have only ridden it once.  nuff said.

p.s., i ride it most often on my local point and reef breaks but i've taken it out in beach breaks a few times and, again, i can't imagine a funner board.  plus, it draws lots of gleeful man-that's-rad attention from old-school longboarders in the line up and on shore, which (i think) lessens any tensions that may exist, me being a SUP'r and all ....

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:09:16 PM by linter »

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »
Hello linter.
Two questions after looking at the Super Pig. Are you left handed? Are you a goofy foot?
Just asking because of the handle placement.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
Yup and yup.  I asked for the handle to be put where it is, and I"m glad i did.  works much better than center placements.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »

I'd recommend going down to at least 130L if you are comfortable on your 144L.  I am 155lb and very comfortable on a 7'10 x 30" x 4.25" 118L Simmons style board (Infinity Phoenix v2). 

Maybe go 31" wide since you are taller.

Just for reference, I'm 205lbs (mediocre ability) on a 7'10" Phoenix V2.  And yes, the Simmons shape works great in Jersey surf.   

OilheadCJ_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 12:36:21 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate all of the information, and it is a lot to consider.

I am looking for something a little different that the caddi, though I am still learning overall, so this may not be an immediate option.  There is one group I surf with saying to stay with what I have until it can't do what I want it to do, and the other group thinking more along the lines of experimenting, having a quiver, etc.  The challenge is that in my area, most of the shops only carry the main brands, and much of the stock is geared toward the introductory boards.

I did email Kirk as well, and he suggested a 8'8" S3 for overall ease of use, but did say that I might outgrow it quickly.  I'm not old, but I am not a youngster, so being 45, new to this, and limited to weekend sessions, vacations, and the random skip work day, I don't know if it would be wise to go to small and too low volume, leading to too difficult a paddle.

Tough decisions...

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »
Fly to San Diego and you can try mine...

OilheadCJ_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 06:24:29 PM »
Now that would be a fun demo, without a doubt!

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »
Oilhead,
I'm a just a ways up the coast from you, and since I'm a board junkie I'll give you my 2 cents! I've been SUSing 5 years surfing 49. I'm 168 and 5'10"
I've owned an 9'2" Allwave, way to big for me now, also tried the 8'10" same. I had a wide point Supsports 8'10 also way to big. What I was looking for was trying to SUS with that short board feel. Well I needed a shorter board! I had a Corban Vibe, now I was moving in the right direction, it was still 130 ltrs. 29" wide! Next a L41 S4 30 1/4" wide 7'9" so far one of the fastest boards I have been on! Next a 7'11" Phoenix, that was going back in the wrong direction, my fault, got it to big! Then I stumbled on a Hobie 7'3" simsup style swallow with a squared off nose, super fun, best for west coast waves though. I am currently riding a 7'10" Skip Smith 30 1/2" with a square tail, 108 ltrs. With the width it is stable and the thinned out rails it works very well in fast hollow and slow n mushy waves!
Keep your big board for bumpy conditions and go smaller and less volume for the cleaner days! Soon you will be putting in the effort to ride it in less than ideal conditions pushing yourself to a new level!
Best of luck in your quest for a magic board!
Enjoy the ride!
FM

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?