Author Topic: Hood River 3 days next month?  (Read 7521 times)

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Hood River 3 days next month?
« on: May 07, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
Any suggestions for "shouldn't miss" things to do?  Good food, beer, hiking, drives, etc. 

We may try to paddle but not sure if that will work out or not.

Heading from there up through the Cascades and then over to San Juan Islands and then Olympic National Park.   Two weeks to cover lots of territory.  Really looking forward to it. 

Roundhouse

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hood River 3 days next month?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:38:54 AM »
It's been years since I was there, but the locals had a Taco Tuesday that the Fire Fighters put on that was a great time. We were staying in a B&B and it was recommended to us. Also Full Sail Brewery of course. And finally if you need it, the best small hospital and ER Dr. I have ever experienced.
Naish Nalu, Mana, Glide & Cannibal Assassin

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:57:42 AM »
Any suggestions for "shouldn't miss" things to do?  Good food, beer, hiking, drives, etc. 

Heading from there up through the Cascades and then over to San Juan Islands and then Olympic National Park.   Two weeks to cover lots of territory.  Really looking forward to it.

From your post it sounds like you may want to tailor your activities towards some less active people, is that correct?  No problem if it is, you could fill your whole two weeks in the area and not scratch the surface.  Give up some details of the group and we will make some must-do suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:59:32 AM by Admin »

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »

I live in pdx but for activities ... road or mountain bike, kite, windsurf, ski mt hood (powder this weekend ), so many great gorge waterfall hikes , hike dog mountain as the flowers should be in full swing .

Check out this for good info  http://thegorgeismygym.com/forecast/

Yes Beer, food and wine .... fullsail is good but double mountain, walking man, everybody's brewing are better!   

I am sure locals like ponobill can chime in better...

Jim

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »
Endlessly. Randy is wise to ask for some narrowing. Hood River is like a ski town. The amenities are completely out of whack for a permanent population of 5700. We have more sports equipment stores than most major cites do. Five brewpubs and one major brewery. Dozens of restaurants, from white tablecloth to pizza, beer and movie (yes, all in one), to taco trailer (excellent). It's a very unusual town. Like Eureka (of that somewhat lame TV show) only instead of Nobel Laureates it's atheletes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 03:37:54 PM »
Endlessly. Randy is wise to ask for some narrowing. Hood River is like a ski town. The amenities are completely out of whack for a permanent population of 5700. We have more sports equipment stores than most major cites do. Five brewpubs and one major brewery. Dozens of restaurants, from white tablecloth to pizza, beer and movie (yes, all in one), to taco trailer (excellent). It's a very unusual town. Like Eureka (of that somewhat lame TV show) only instead of Nobel Laureates it's atheletes.

Kinda sounds like Steamboat!

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »
So.  If you lived in HR and had two or three places to choose from to eat where would that be?  If you were going to get a beer which brewery would be the one you would choose?  If you had 3 or 4 hours to hike and didn't want to drive far where would you hike?  If you were planning to take some memorable photos where would you go? 

We will be on vacation and can pretty much find fun things to do on our own but it would be helpful if someone could narrow some of the choices down.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »
So.  If you lived in HR and had two or three places to choose from to eat where would that be?  If you were going to get a beer which brewery would be the one you would choose?  If you had 3 or 4 hours to hike and didn't want to drive far where would you hike?  If you were planning to take some memorable photos where would you go? 

We will be on vacation and can pretty much find fun things to do on our own but it would be helpful if someone could narrow some of the choices down.

Coffee at Dopio, Brunch at Nora's (Casual NW cool), Dinner at Brians (solid food - Converted old house atmosphere), Dinner at Celilo (solid food - more metro feel), Dinner at Columbia Gorge Hotel (top Gorge view, old world charm, atmosphere), Hennies in White Salmon for Dinner (cool place - diverse world menu).

Hike - Tamanawas Falls - Drive there is great. Bring your camera everywhere. 

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 08:02:28 PM »
You have a wealth of choices. If your journey is ending in the Cascades & Olympics, you may want to defer hiking in the HR area in favor of other things.  While the hiking around the gorge is outstanding by any measure, the hiking in North Cascades & Olympic National Parks is at a different level.  7 Lakes Basin, Marmot Pass, Cascade Pass, Park Butte (just to name a few) are world class. The Washington coast hikes including 3rd beach & Neah Bay are also jaw dropping.  Check out the Washington Trails Association website for details. Paddling opportunities on the OP abound but rentals do not.

Only drawback in these regions is there is no town as rich as Hood River & as you move towards the Pacific, things even get a bit grim.  However, there are some decent towns in Washington.  Port Townsend, Leavenworth (cheesy German theme not withstanding), & the small towns along the Chuckanut Drive near Bellingham all have many of the standard amenities of modern living (breweries, locavore restaurants, views etc...).  Mazama is a hidden gem if you have time to make the trek over the Cascades: you could easily kill a week there.  The San Juans are all great.  I recommend Lummi Island which is home of the Willows Inn: perhaps the best meal I've ever had and an outstanding place to paddle in solitude.

Will let the locals chime in on what to do in Hood River. I'll only say this: it would be a crime to be in Hood River for 3 days and not get in at least one Viento run.  Not sure what your level of downwinding experience is, but the Big Winds tours are a nice way to try the sport if you are new to it.

In early July, a buddy & I are planning to summit / ski Mt Adams & do a Viento in the same day, followed by a trip to many if not all of the HR breweries if all goes well. Maybe we'll see you around!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:16:49 PM »
I don't take pictures in the gorge. Everywhere you look is a picture, and every one of them is trite. I don't have enough talent to make one special.

Ditto on the restaurant, though I'd add one REALLY weird one. the Riverside restaurant in the Best Western motel, is shockingly good. There, I've said it. Great view, damned good food--though in a town where half the restaurants won't serve anything that traveled more than 20 miles (local food to the fifth power) anyplace that doesn't know the name of the chicken is suspect.

I had a staggeringly good dinner at Celilo tonight. I had duck empanadas with house pickled brussel sprouts, micro greens and red pepper coulis for an appetizer. Diane had salmon tartar bound with aoli and served with little waffle-cut potato crisps. For an entree I had Tagliatelle with meatballs, Diane had a an amazing pork chop on black Quinoa and truffle oil and some kind of pureeed thingy on top that was great. We shared a bottle of Ken Wright Pinot Noir. For dessert we split a rhubarb crostata with sour cream ice cream.

Awesome.

Three days is not enough. Sometimes I think six months a year is not enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 08:27:31 PM »
Agree with Admin, mostly. Not a fan of the food at the Columbia Gorge Hotel, although back in the old days (like the late 80's) we used to hit it for the Farmers Breakfast on Sunday mornings before shredding all day. But it is an absolutely spectacular setting, which can make up for the high prices. Truth is, I haven't eaten at CGH for probably 10 or 15 years so my take is from the distant past. For my money, I'd sure agree with Celilo.

For breweries, don't miss Double Mountain. They have great beers and their food is pretty good too. They make a great thin crust pizza that's absolutely delicious. I would not miss beer and pizza at Double Mountain on any visit I made to the Hood. Be forewarned, it's loud in there and having a quiet conversation is not gonna happen.

Two other things, we're talking Thai food now - there is a great Thai place to grab and dash - Lampoei - It's a trailer parked in the Windance parking lot but they have good Thai to go. The other Thai gem is Montira's in the Dalles. I miss their food greatly living on Maui.

And, I agree with PB on the restaurant in the Best Western, it is really good. Marcia and I would hit it every few weeks for happy hour. Great deals, music and plenty of food.

If you want to get yourself stuffed, and drink a few brews on the WA side, head up to Everybody's Brewing in White Salmon. They have some killer pulled pork nachos. Across the street from Hennies.

Shoot, I keep thinking up place after place that I'd hit if I were there. Sorry. Two more: Pine Street Bakery on the Heights for breakfast, Knead on 5th St. downtown for killer bakery stuff and 6th St Bistro for lunch or dinner. Oh man, I miss the Hood.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:37:43 PM by covesurfer »

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »
What, nobody has mentioned Bette's Place for breakfast?
Did they get a new shitty cook or something?  I love that place, been a few years though.
Great food and there was always a free (already been read) newspaper laying around someplace.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:27:12 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »
WW, Bette's is still there and is still solid for all American breakfast fare. Home style biscuits are a nice touch too.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »
Bette's is fine, a solid HR tradition and the food is decent. I used to hit it after sleeping in my van in the 80's when I was windsurfing every weekend. But Egg river is better, and Norah's (on the days they do brunch) is unbelievable. begniets. Good god they have begniets. Every bit as good as Cafe Du Monde.

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 12:34:50 AM »

In early July, a buddy & I are planning to summit / ski Mt Adams & do a Viento in the same day, followed by a trip to many if not all of the HR breweries if all goes well. Maybe we'll see you around!

OK, I am impressed. My legs would be rubber after skiing the south ridge of Adams, useless for anything else that day. I used to tele ski the WA volcanoes. Love spring corn snow.

To the OP - Dog Mountain is a good hike with great views up/down the river. Starts at river level. 20 minute drive from HR, on the WA side.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf