Author Topic: Best hat for wearing surfing?  (Read 36210 times)

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best hat for wearing surfing?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 09:37:30 AM »
I've worn a trucker up to head high and yeah, it pops off from time to time but I've never had to hold it if you do what DW says.

I've been meaning to put a snap or some Velcro on the end of my wetsuit zipper pull so I can use it as a hat leash snapped around the back strap of a trucker hat. You could probably tie it too.

This is the cheapest option and its attached.

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »

I've been meaning to put a snap or some Velcro on the end of my wetsuit zipper pull so I can use it as a hat leash snapped around the back strap of a trucker hat. You could probably tie it too.

i was just visualizing getting worked over, hat ripped off then pulling the zipper right down your back..  brrr!    ;D   another option not yet mentioned is to clip it to one of those stylish ear hoop things.    8) 

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »
I always always always wear a srf cap in the warmer weather once I ditch the hooded wetsuit. The chinstrap is no worry, helps keep it on. I've lost one too many baseball caps so I scored the FCS cap a while ago. Lost it like three times and found it each time too!.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:34:25 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »
The best hat for SUPing!!! Hands down, no one can try to change my mind. HAHA! Green Bay Packers Cheese head visor or a Crocs Visor!

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 03:45:35 PM »
I really like the Pro-Tec hats, made by a Japanese woman living in Byron Bay in Oz. They may look a bit 'un cool' but they are comfortable and stay on, even for the complete 2' deep beach break pounding I'm about to cop :o

http://www.protecsun.com.au/

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Best hat for wearing surfing?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
I always always always wear a srf cap in the warmer weather once I ditch the hooded wetsuit. The chinstrap is no worry, helps keep it on. I've lost one too many baseball caps so I scored the FCS cap a while ago. Lost it like three times and found it each time too!.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »

I really like the Pro-Tec hats, made by a Japanese woman living in Byron Bay in Oz. They may look a bit 'un cool' but they are comfortable and stay on, even for the complete 2' deep beach break pounding I'm about to cop :o

What hat?  All I can look at is that wave!!!

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 04:41:42 PM »

What hat?  All I can look at is that wave!!!

Gotta love outback Western Australia - and that was the bad day when it was too big and scary for me on the reef break ;) Found out I could hurt myself just fine in the beach break though, so no problem.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 05:17:39 PM »
FWIW...I took several variations of surf caps with me on a recent trip...and, the one that quickly rose to the top of the heap was the O'neill...no dog in this fight as we don't carry that brand...in fact, as a hard core/hard goods company, we don't do much soft goods other than our own branded SUPsports ® shwag...

In the past, I have used our lightweight and inexpensive (2/$25) trucker hats with a lanyard of kite line that has worked well...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2013/08/stoked-for-life-trucker-hats.html

Gotta say, though...the O'neill worked well...stayed on when I wanted it to...got the job done in style...the chin strap also easily tucked up inside the cap so it reduced the "dork factor"...YMMV...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »
O'neil looks good WD.

I recently accompanied the wife to Michael's (craft store here in the states) and in their paracord section I found quick release snaps for making bracelets and neck lanyards that won't choke/hang you if they are pulled.

I'm looking at hat leash options and will also likely make a breakaway gopro strap for when hand holding my cam while longboarding. (Shhh some of us still do that.)

Ok, I can't lie, it was my trip to pick up knitting supplies.

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 07:35:36 PM »
I like what alex gray wears when he is out in the sun.

SUP-poser

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Island Paintings and Woodwork
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 10:18:23 PM »
Billabong bucket. Has a baseball cap type visor sewn into the brim up front that's stiffer than the rest of the brim to keep it out of your eyes. Stretchy and comfy with around the ears chin-strap that lets you hear. Straps can go up into the crown onshore. Haven't lost it yet, but I'm sure serious suds could strip it away. Very high kook factor.

http://www.surfstitch.com/product/billabong-surpreme-bucket-hat-black
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:20:29 PM by SUP-poser »
Allwave 9'5"
Surftech 10' AST RF Generator
Werner (Carve?) 2 piece adjustable

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 11:24:40 PM »
Billabong bucket. Has a baseball cap type visor sewn into the brim up front that's stiffer than the rest of the brim to keep it out of your eyes. Stretchy and comfy with around the ears chin-strap that lets you hear. Straps can go up into the crown onshore. Haven't lost it yet, but I'm sure serious suds could strip it away. Very high kook factor.

http://www.surfstitch.com/product/billabong-surpreme-bucket-hat-black

I'd love to wear this with a Hawaiian shirt, bermuda shorts and ankle high sneakers on the board. The kook factor would scare everybody else away from the break.

I have seen some guys lately who are wearing actual bicycle helmets out there, but it makes them look like they have a kind of alien-predator thing going on.

I like the Japanese Protecsun hat, too, it is kook-cool in it's own way.

You would have to have perfect balance for the sombrero, I can't see keeping it on, but it's a pretty hat.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:28:58 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 04:28:11 AM »
I'm quite fond of this hat:

http://dakine.com/p/apparel/headwear/mens-spring-summer-14/indo-surf-hat

But I'm considering this one for some better colors:

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/dawn-patrol-water-bucket-5023.html

I prefer a bucket hat with chin straps to a baseball style.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 06:46:15 AM »
I have no choice about whether or not to wear a hat. My head gets baked otherwise. As Heqadmount knows, I've lost a few thousand hats in the surf. Including some I really didn't want to lose. I like the hats that the Simmer shop sells in Paia--dark grey or black with "Paia" embroidered on the front in the same color thread so it's subtle. The hats come in SMLXL with stretch stuff in the band to make up the interstitial sizes. They stay on well, but are a bit expensive--$20--especially when you buy four or five at a time and I've lost my last one.

This year I was trying out old style bicycle hats. The kind you flip the brim up to tighten. I suspect they could be very cheap if I find a manufacturer. They stay on really well even when you're getting DOH worked (sometimes). They look fairly dorky. Very light, keep the dome from burning. When you flip the brim up you can see the horizon when you're getting to your feet on a bucking downwind board. If you've never had to do that, you probably don't know why it's important--we 67 year old geezers don't pop to our feet.

I like them. But I've lost my last one.

I'm also trying out the Nike and OR running hats. I think Headmount would love the OR. (I think OR means Outdoor Research). It's super light, has a short brim. Nice soft headband that's super adsorbant, and the whole skullcap is actually ventilated fabric with thin layer of UV fabric over the bald areas--like a rainfly over a tent. Stays cool all the time. The adjustment is very secure. I haven't lost this one yet.

Nike also makes a lightweight running hat that stays on well. The brim has a U-shaped piece of plastic inside instead of cardboard. Very light, floats well, haven't lost it yet.

Last, but not least is a neoprene hat. The manufacturer gave Bob (Stoneaxe) a couple of these to to give away at the first CCBC crossing. When we were drinking way too much wine and smoking cigars at Bob's house the night before the event we took turns putting it on and cracking everyone else up. The winner in the goofiest look department was Bob's wife Sue, though Mike Brown was a very close challenger. I just looked like a giant baby wearing it, and I swore off chinstraps forever when I looked in the mirror.

I've never lost it for the simple reason that I've never worn it.

Whatever you do, don't wear one of those orange fluorescent trucker hats with Maui printed in big gold letters on the front. Covesurfer was wearing one last year and I told him it looked like something a gay guy would buy at an Oklahoma truck stop. He wound up giving it to his daughter who actually looked pretty cute in it. Of course if a gay guy bought one in an Oklahoma truck stop they'd turn it into a fashion statement and I'd see guys wearing them everywhere in a few weeks. So please, if you're gay, leave those hats alone.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 07:03:48 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
foiled again
April 25, 2024, 07:28:05 PM
B-Walnut