Author Topic: Not exactly an "Epic Session" but certainly memorable  (Read 5513 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Not exactly an "Epic Session" but certainly memorable
« on: September 03, 2007, 07:51:03 PM »
OK....I stood up for the 1st time yesterday.....(sound of crowds cheering). My brother and I worked on installing (actually he installed...I held things) a new clutch in his race car for most of the morning. Once we were done we went to a local lake for him to test the paddle I made him and for me to try standup for the 1st time on his new Starboard 12'6" x 30.5" . I stood, I fell, I stood, I fell, ad nauseum....then I stood and didn't fall. I actually paddled out a 100 yards or so and then back...and stepped of into the shallows. We didn't have as much time as I'd have liked since the whole family 40+ were waiting supper for us. But what a rush that I can actually do this.

My brother then one upped my paddle gift by giving me his new Starboard. Talk about blown away. I have a lot of catching up to do. I'll be sure to stay out of any lineups. Please point this old man nub to areas where he can do no harm if you happen to see me out there.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Not exactly an "Epic Session" but certainly memorable
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:10:58 PM »
glad to hear you're starting off stoked.  how does your balance feel on that big ol' thing?  i've found that for the first 30 to 45 min of each session, my balance is usually way off, with my legs doing some sort of weird shaking thing and my feet refusing to move where they should; the end result being, i'm a total kook.  after a while, though, everything falls into a groove and i'm somewhat less of a kook.  when you want to try some waves, do think about RI.  I went out on some 2' waves this a.m., in ultra glassy conditions, that are perfect to learn on.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:28:42 AM »
Hi Linter,

I found that my sense of balance has become mostly visual. I kept falling when I would look away from the board. When I locked in on the nose I managed OK. Hopefullly that will change with time on the water.

I'd love to hook up with you in RI. One of my co-workers lives in Narragansett and spent most of this weekend at the beach. He said he noticed a number of SUP's out there for the 1st time. Sounds like just the waves I'll be looking for. I may even head down there this weekend if the conditions are similar. I definitely need glass at this point.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:06:02 AM »
yeeeeha!!! congratulations on the new board there stoneaxe! that's just tight. cool of ponobill to help a brother out. now you can experience the fruit of your labor first hand...

welcome to the tribe!
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 04:09:06 AM »
early word has it that waves are indeed due this weekend, better on sunday, fading during the week.  i won't be around on sunday, sadly, but most all other times i'm here.  drop me a p.m. and i'll shuttle you my particulars.  be glad to show you around these parts!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 04:34:18 PM »
I ended up spending the day at Plymouth beach yesterday. Great time, great practice on the flat. Got a little gusty at times. Couple of times I thought I might be headed for Provincetown. Had to get down and kneel to make headway against the wind.

Do you plan on doing any fall or winter wetsuit SUP? Looks like the next couple of weekends are going to start getting chilly. I was looking at wetsuits today. No XXL's in stock though. I'd like to extend the season into October at least. Not sure I have the cajones for winter but who knows. I'm not sure I can wait through the winter.
Bob

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 05:23:18 PM »
i have gone through the winter, though i tend to pick and choose my days very carefully.  this would be my first winter on a SUP board, and I'll just have to see how it goes.  for  the coldest days, i have a drysuit that is toasty everywhere except the head.  a little warmer, and i wear a hooded Hotline 5/4.
   come to think of it, last winter i didn't go out much, but with the SUP novelty still kicking in strong, i might go out more this time around.

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 06:01:38 PM »
I will be hitting the Water this winter, but I live Florida, on the Gulf Coast, and it stays warm almost all year. It can get chilly when coldfronts roll through, but nothing a 2/3 wetty can't handle. But inbetween the coldfronts it gets to 80's in the afternoon.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 11:23:43 AM »
LOL...sure rub it in. Winter here means water temps in the 40's, air temps in the 20's with a wind chill of -5. You have to be slightly nuts to still want to go out but thats when we have waves. Lots of crazy SOB's doing it though.

Crazier still are the Maine-iacs. http://www.grainsurfboards.com/2007/04/23/late-season-noreaster/ . You know these guys have to be insane. 10 minutes of unprotested exposure to the water and you're dead. Drysuit time.
Bob

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 05:58:24 AM »
Bump ;D ;D ;D ;D
fun to read this thread...

Stoneys first SUP experience is worth a revisit..... lot of water under THIS bridge.... (Linter's early days as well)
from managing 100 yards... to paddling 36 miles in open water ;D ;D ;D

Nice trip Stoney!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 08:54:31 AM »
Wow....that brings back memories. The day that my life changed... 8)
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »
I just remembered that I stumbled upon this sequence of pics a few months back. I think they came from an old flip phone. This is actually my very 1st time on a SUP....some little pond in Limerock.....I made a gif of it... 8)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:17:56 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 09:09:49 AM
Hdip
Today at 08:49:33 AM
B-Walnut