Author Topic: OK... Tried it all on etiquette and...what do you do now...  (Read 6855 times)

skyfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
OK... Tried it all on etiquette and...what do you do now...
« on: November 03, 2008, 06:42:41 AM »
Ok...now we have tried to be nice, stay away from big crowds, sit down between sets, not taking all the waves (even if I had the right of way), in general all what it has been written on "how to be nice". Then you have a local, traditional surf shop, who "hates" mall surf shops, same with long boards, and they start passinng around stickers wit a "no" sign and a paddleboarder dress as Bozo the clown in the background. Put the stickers on the entry of one of our local breaks as well . Of course they cal them seves, "pro" surfers, I think more  PROBLEMATIC, THAN ANYTHING ELSE.
Netherles to say our community is mostly long time respected surfers trying something new.
Not one accident, not one run over . That we can take more and better waves ...yes.
Well I think they started playing with fire and stirring up something they shouldn't... Just because..I ain't going nowhere else but...

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: OK... Tried it all on etiquette and...what do you do now...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »
put on clown makeup!
they won't be able to identify you in the lineup... if you know what i mean.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 10:54:30 AM »
Don't worry, be happy  8)

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »
Sean, my shop helper, went for a paddle yesterday and this is what he got.
After paddling out from the shop and heading north thru the pier he came across a nice little set wave and thought he'd go for it.  After a few strokes he backed off and turned north again.  A shortboarder in a Maroon RipCurl wetsuit on a new whatever shortboard decided that he needed to comment and told Sean to just keep going.  Sean (6'0" and 200 lbs) stopped and asked him what he said.  The maroon Shortboarder said "you heard me" so Sean (27 and surfing for 19 years) told him 'I think I'll just hang around here awhile and sat down about 10 feet away.  He talked to the Moron in the maroon suit who wanted to know if that is the only thing he can surf and that he must be from Huntington(?) Sean( a city lifeguard) took off onthe next set wave and pulled a nice big floater and  paddled back to moron suit and said 'No I can surf any type of board but today I prefer the SUp and continued his paddle north. ;D

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 07:23:52 PM »
Hah! Funny story, Bob.

I've had the same comment as I'm paddling outside of So. Garbage. Paddling WAY OUTSIDE of the peak mind you- I like to make my intentions to pass by some peaks at Cliffs very obvious so everybody gets what I'm doing.

Anyways, pretty much the same story. Some CLONE in a (let's see if you can guess what he looked like and was riding...) all black wetsuit, on a Choice, clear, pintail (undoubtedly because it barrels out there- not!) with.....oooh.....no leash(!) decides to yell out "Keep moving North". So I do the same as your boy and post up right next to him and tell him, "Was going to head up the beach but now I'll just sit here and watch YOU rip it, surfer".

Guy got so pissed off and flustered. All I did was sit inside in the channel and call him into every wave, which, because it was so soft and mushy (like it usually is out there) and he was obviously riding too small of a board, he couldn't catch or surf anything.

Thought the guy was going to blow up right there- got all red and puffed up- I just laughed in his face and paddled on. Classic.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »
Any real waterman will try anything that puts him more in touch with the surf, the glide, and the ocean. People who think everyone needs to be exactly like them are just simplistic posers, stuck in a single rut because it's all they can handle. No different from some religious zealot that wants to stone you for being NOT LIKE THEM.

Beneath contempt. F*#k 'em.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »
It's actually kind of funny. I've only very recently become a convert to diplomacy...I blame SUP for calming me down and relieving stress. I go way out of my way to be a good SUP citizen...especially given my relative newbie status.

I'm actually a little concerned about what might happen if some moron pushes me too far. So far I've only had a minor issue and basically just paddled away and around and made them look foolish. I worry about what would happen if someone were to get in my face. I've been known to leave a trail of unconscious bodies in my wake when things went sour. I suppose its only good etiquette to save someone from drowning after you've knocked them out. I seriously hope the vibe never gets that bad here though. I'm getting too old for that crap.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 06:45:55 AM »
I've had the same comment as I'm paddling outside of So. Garbage.
John you must have met Geoff - so have a couple of guys who commented on wannasurf. But  it's not about SUPs, its everyone:

Who's that big blond headed local dude with big teeth who yells at everyone and no one in particular for hours at a time? Like, he'll look up at the sky and be like "You all need to go back to LA!!!," or "I'm gonna shout that guy outta the water!!!," "Waaaahhhhh!!!," "These people don't know who they're messing with," or my favorite, "I'm on my 7'8 today, my shortboard." That guy rules, he is the man. He makes a lot of sense. There should be graduate seminars at PLNU on how to be that dude. A true diplomat, a gentleman and a scholar. I suggest that lots of people bring all their friends out to South garbage and present that dude with a bottle of Dom Perignon and let him know what they think of his whiny, funboarding ways.. A lot of dudes around here ride 8 foot guns on all swells and think that they're shortboarding/ripping.
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_America/USA/California/San_Diego_County/garbage/comment/index.html?wdaction=lib.WDPageComment.show

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 06:51:01 AM »
Ok...now we have tried to be nice, stay away from big crowds, sit down between sets, not taking all the waves (even if I had the right of way), in general all what it has been written on "how to be nice". Then you have a local, traditional surf shop, who "hates" mall surf shops, same with long boards, and they start passinng around stickers wit a "no" sign and a paddleboarder dress as Bozo the clown in the background. Put the stickers on the entry of one of our local breaks as well . Of course they cal them seves, "pro" surfers, I think more  PROBLEMATIC, THAN ANYTHING ELSE.
Netherles to say our community is mostly long time respected surfers trying something new.
Not one accident, not one run over . That we can take more and better waves ...yes.
Well I think they started playing with fire and stirring up something they shouldn't... Just because..I ain't going nowhere else but...

Sky..when all niceness fails, it's time to just surf and do your thing. Out of the last 3 years of stand up paddling at my local , crowded, aggro break , only one guy has decided to police me by shadowing me on every wave. Words have completely failed so now I just surf.  Because of his actions and my ability, his sessions are ruined cause each wave I take are complete drop-ins on him. Its not always this way but when he is out, he makes a complete fool of himself in front of his peers. When it's a big day, he's not an issue. Hopefully out of the water its a dead issue but this guy is known for petty violence. Thats OK, i've trained to perform a (young) Stoneaxe on him if need be.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 07:59:02 AM »
I am not in your situation and I know most of the local folks around here, but I have found it better to deal with it on the beach.

A new local started mouthing off on a really good day. I couldn't figure where he was coming from so I waited till we had some time on the beach.  When I had the opportunity, I drove up and asked if we had a problem, he yelled we did so I flew out of my car and stood before him and told him that we need to figure it out and to tell me his side first and then I would tell him my side.  He was mouthing off about how I hog all the waves and bla bla so when he finished bla bla I told him I take waves at the peak and never sit on him or hog his rides, or drop in on him, so then he explains it is just because I am catching so many waves and that he and others don't have a chance.  I told him to quit whining and to avoid a collision coarse don't be looking at me and dropping in on me or we go to next level and to keep his mouth shut out in the lineup.   So he went surfing and think we had an understanding so a week later he did it to my friend.  Anyway he has made such a fool of himself that his wife is begging for our forgiveness.  I gave her a big hug and said I am ok.  Things seem to be better now.   

For the travelers without respect, locals in our area support one another even if we ride different gear, so what may seem like you and your buds against one can change instantly if you forget your manners.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 05:49:53 PM »
So I’m out in the middle of the ocean, 30 knot winds and I just caught a really nice swell when this guy drops into my wave from the downwind shoulder-The guy didn’t even look first.  I shouted “Hey buddy off my wave!”  He must’ve heard me, because he ducked under just in time to avoid the nose of my board ramming right into his fin.  I had never seen him before, but Randy said the description sounded familiar.  You may want to keep an eye out for this guy, he has an unusually large mouth, looks to be about 6 feet long; his fin has a little bit of white at the tip. Sheez, the guy acts like he owns the place.   ;D

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 08:26:20 PM »
So I’m out in the middle of the ocean, 30 knot winds and I just caught a really nice swell when this guy drops into my wave from the downwind shoulder-The guy didn’t even look first.  I shouted “Hey buddy off my wave!”  He must’ve heard me, because he ducked under just in time to avoid the nose of my board ramming right into his fin.  I had never seen him before, but Randy said the description sounded familiar.  You may want to keep an eye out for this guy, he has an unusually large mouth, looks to be about 6 feet long; his fin has a little bit of white at the tip. Sheez, the guy acts like he owns the place.   ;D

what a dic&...

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
...bet he had that toothy grin.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 09:58:17 PM »
Hah- Tom, pretty funny stuff! He can have So. Garbage.

tim mellors

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »
There are only a few SUP riders here in Newquay, U.k and a lot of surfers. Quite a few surfers are willing and want to try it out "its kind of cool, looks a great workout etc". I spend a lot of time encouraging people to have a go and lending boards. I call sets, smile, have a laugh and generally try to make the beach a nice place.
3 days ago, i paddled out at my local break, its quite busy, i catch my first wave and there is a guy intent on the drop in, right on top!!. I call him (oy oy!) before he lands on me , and he shouts "you f**king wa***r.
I never shout abuse at people, even if they drop in on me, and always appologise if i happen to make a mistake. I consider myself polite. I read all the posts of kook or kool, good karma, etc.... and try to obey.
But there is a limit, i am a profficient surfer and do not consider myself any more a danger in the water than other surfers. If i surf in crowded spots, i should accept being dropped in on and i have good spacial awareness. If you dont accept it, go surf somewhere else!
For one of the first times in my surfing career, i kicked out and paddled over to the guy and asked him what his problem was. No-one has the right to shout that at me and i was prepared there and then to paddle spank him.
If this makes me a kook, give me the badge! I shall wear it with pride. If this makes me cool, what a pity. If we can believe karma exists, his crappy little non-paddling shoulder hopping shitty waste of fiberglass should have blown off the roof of his car and rammed him up the arse cos that will stop me having to do it.
The moral of this story is that being either kool or a kook is a 2 way street. Decide which way you are driving as each and every action has an opposite reaction.
And as for the other kook, he realised his errors and  i let him go. ;)
Things sound a little tense in SUP land.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin