Author Topic: SUP board size  (Read 5202 times)

PitchnRoll

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SUP board size
« on: January 24, 2013, 04:51:37 PM »
I started SUP surfing about 4 years ago on a 10'6" Fury board, then went down to a 9'6" PSH WAA, and I am now on an 8'10" SUPsports WD Wide. I like the roll stability of this 8'10" x 32" board, but sometimes feel like I could use more glide when trying to get onto small waves. Now I know everything is a trade-off. I also know that skill and experience trump lack of board performance, and that it is naive to think that "next best thing" in a board will solve all of my performance issues. Nevertheless, I occasionally suspend belief and ask myself "If I could have just one board, what would that be?" I am 6'1" and weigh about 180 lbs. I was talking to somebody on the water recently who was getting some really long rides on small waves on an older Naish 9'6" Nalu (however, he probably could have paddled on my front door and looked just as great). So I am looking at the 2013 Starboard Element (9'8" x 30") as an alternative to the WD Wide for small days. It has a longer waterline, probably less rocker, and will no doubt have better glide. It is 2" narrower, so the roll stability will be less, but I was already narrower than that on my two previous boards, and I know I can handle it. Is my thinking going in the right direction here?

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP board size
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:08:55 PM »
If you like the SUPsports WD Wide but want something longer, why not their 9'6" Stoke? I've taken my wife's out on flatwater (hers is a 9'9" x 29.5" custom) and the glide is pretty close to my 10'3" Mahalo (which catches ankle to head high waves with ease).

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:36:18 PM »
hi gwhughes, i'm 6'2" 180 and i have an '10 Element and an old 9' Stinger quad.  I can't speak to the WD wide but i can only say i catch the same number of waves on both my boards, i don't recall the Element being much easier to catch waves with (i haven't used it much since i got the 9'0   ;D ).   It is a nice board though that is fun to attempt nose rides on.   

Mr.413

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »
"Now I know everything is a trade-off."

Words of wisdom, my friend.  ;)

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:18:12 AM »
If you want glide, why not go for longer boards?
A traditional longboard shape: long - 12' -, wide, VERY flat rocker in nose, rocker in tail for turns and not outrace the lip, single fin, thin rails in nose and tail.
I guess the best bet is to choose SUPs made by good longboard shapers (like for instance the Pearsons Arrows? - but there are many more)

For instance this 9'2" I tried glides on anything due to its extreme flat rocker:

Another option is to go with (semi-)displacement hulls, like all-around race boards (aka fitness, cruising boards), or the PSH hull paddlers
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:20:27 AM by colas »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 05:49:49 PM »
I started SUP surfing about 4 years ago on a 10'6" Fury board, then went down to a 9'6" PSH WAA, and I am now on an 8'10" SUPsports WD Wide. I like the roll stability of this 8'10" x 32" board, but sometimes feel like I could use more glide when trying to get onto small waves. Now I know everything is a trade-off. I also know that skill and experience trump lack of board performance, and that it is naive to think that "next best thing" in a board will solve all of my performance issues. Nevertheless, I occasionally suspend belief and ask myself "If I could have just one board, what would that be?" I am 6'1" and weigh about 180 lbs. I was talking to somebody on the water recently who was getting some really long rides on small waves on an older Naish 9'6" Nalu (however, he probably could have paddled on my front door and looked just as great). So I am looking at the 2013 Starboard Element (9'8" x 30") as an alternative to the WD Wide for small days. It has a longer waterline, probably less rocker, and will no doubt have better glide. It is 2" narrower, so the roll stability will be less, but I was already narrower than that on my two previous boards, and I know I can handle it. Is my thinking going in the right direction here?

I'm looking at a 10'6 Fury Red Rails------what do you think about the Fury boards?

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 09:59:35 PM »
+1 with what Colas said.  Longer board, flatter rocker.  And narrower = more glide.

The SB Element does fall into that category.  But a more traditional longboard shape will really get you in early. 

Also you can always run a smaller center fin on small days.  I do that in NorCal when the waves are slow and small, it makes them easier to catch.
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]