Author Topic: Lone Survivor  (Read 17680 times)

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Survivor
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »
what the heck does that list prove?  the movie industry is funded through the military industrial complex.  the movie industry is directly funded through GE and other conglomerates.  Everything put out in movies from day one is meant to sway public opinion. i could post some good reading about the use of propaganda and the war machine. but you wont read it so i really dont feel like helping.  why do you post a thousand movies yet not ask yourself, why are we in these countries, why do i support our troops when they are in these countries killing innocent people?

have you ever heard of the Bohemian Grove, have you looked into the members attending Davos, have you looked into the private conferences held by the feds once a year, have you read into the CFR.  every meeting that goes on includes the oligarch and their minions, the minions are the politicians and movie industry moguls.  come on, its time people pull their heads out of the surf and look around what is happening.  

how about instead of supporting mindless movies, we start asking questions and asking why we are in places killing people who never did shit to you or me

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 09:17:07 PM »
goodfornothin--ironically, one of the people you criticized earlier for being blind to propaganda has written a book based on personal experience which is a scathing criticism in many ways of war and its impacts, not just on the people directly involved, but on subsequent generations years and decades later.   

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 09:20:10 PM »
the truth is complicated?  fuck yeah it is, so how about finding the truth, at least im trying.  i love the shoot the messenger on all these forums.  never make people think. never go outside the common line, give me a break.  i dont post much.  i was one of the first people to sign up here. didnt come to stir the pot. but when are smart wiser people going to stop supporting this system we are in.  we will never stop this machine if you guys just keep paying and supporting this mess.

not one post on why you guys think we are there and how its justified those guys ever had to go through that experience.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »
its not just entertainment. buying your iphone is not just something to buy because its cool, wearing your billabong shorty is not just staying warm.  there are people behind those products.  every dollar you put towards this stuff helps perpetuate it.  when do you guys start asking yourself, is this lifestyle worth all the killing?

why are we there? why so long?  why so many countries? throw your money after it i guess, im not.  When i was in the Army i decided to look into things and pull the curtain back.  all i saw was the same money handlers playing the same tune.  we are definitely up against a resource wall, and we need to look ahead. but killing a million brown people to get it doesn't sit well with me.

keep all the happy happy thoughts though, our soldiers are killing themselves by the hundreds, we have run out of funds to support these wars, we have run out of funds to support the mentally deranged and wounded soldiers, and we have no intentions of stopping the wars nor helping the vets.  the money you pour into these films and books do not go towards answering why we are there nor helping anybody effected by these resource wars

You are taking this pretty seriously. I actually agree with some of what you are saying, but I'm not going to lose sleep if I watch this film. Btw, do you own an I-phone or Samsung Android smart phone? Do you actually know what goes on with the "people behind those products"? Both Apple and Samsung have been linked to child labour in third world countries, and kids are working in deplorable conditions to make these products. Children are being exploited and have died so you can enjoy your electronics. Chances are, the computer you are using right now might be housing metal mined by a child labourer.

Are you going to stop using your I-phone or Android smart phone? Just wondering.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:24:14 PM by robon »

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 09:24:40 PM »
good for him, i didnt start this conversation with the thought of discussing propaganda.  i came here to ask why you guys are throwing your money at an industry perpetuating the common meme. im asking why are we there? and how do we justify being there?

ill go back into hiding now, if anybody wants to discuss why we are there and the fact those guys would have no story if they never went there.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 09:34:36 PM »
im not taking this to seriously, i cant.  not enough people asking the right questions. i will happily join a movement that is serious about the mess we are in.  every movement gets run over by some money force or special interest group. 

and why the deflection in every post? why does everybody want to send the crazy vibe my way.  why has nobody questioned why we are there and is it worth it?

and no i have no way to disconnect, what a disingenuous question.  I need to feed my family, there is no way to disconnect from the system and still carry on with a somewhat "normal" life.  when we as a country stand up to the resource wars and the fact we have pushed the slave labor off our shores then i will most certainly drop all this stuff.  but it will never happen. 

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 09:44:58 PM »
I watched this film and was entertained from the small Neanderthal perspective that still resides in my cortex. However, the more evolved sides of me were as expected deeply saddened. It's a fucked up deal for sure. I for one am appalled at what our country does and what our soldiers do. But it's easy for me to say that typing on my ipad in my king sized bed with all the natural resources I need/want living on beautiful Cape Cod. I'm so far past the hunter and gatherer stage that the closest I get to feeling concerned for my well being is facing a 40 mph offshore headwind on my $2,500 sup when I'm 5 miles away from sand.

My personal beliefs paired with my individual life experience tells me war is nothing but pure EGO. And what about the poor, uneducated, prideful, brainwashed kids who get to fight. Let's at least take care of them when/if they return. If they killed other human beings then karma will definitely get them but let's not turn our back on them.

That being said the movie was well done and very intense. I'm sure it portrayed realistic current day gun fight. The only propaganda angle I could see, other than dramatizing war, is the strong faction of local folks depicted who "want" the US to occupy.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 10:35:33 PM »
Wiki's list of movies is missing The Diary of Anne Frank and The Pianist.

Support your local shaper

MKE

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 07:27:52 AM »
Alright, I'll take a stab at it.. "Why are we there?"- I am pretty sure the war was started because a terrorist group named Al Qaeda blew up two twin towers right in New York and killed 3,500 people. That same group, Al Qaeda, has made repeated threats and attempts at more attacks to US civilians and countries we are "friends with". But more than likely my thinking is analysis paralysis and you might be on to something when you say, "we are running drugs, stealing water, stealing gas and oil, and making a shit load of money off the death of all these innocent people". I don't know much, but I did hear somewhere there is an abundance of water in Afghanistan.

Back to the subject.. GREAT BOOK, and I can't wait to see the movie. I'll wait until it comes out on Redbox so the military machine doesn't get too much of my money.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 07:43:47 AM »
 come on, its time people pull their heads out of the surf and look around what is happening.  

I think I am going to go surf now!
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 09:39:19 AM »
That's an easy question to answer. No one wants to engage directly with your discourse because you are ranting about your personal beliefs. No different than if you were ranting about religion, whether or not President Obama is the devil, or <<your international conspiracy here>>. You can work to change things, or you can scream at the top of your lungs. In my experience the screamers are just full of air.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

markthomas

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
Thank you PonoBill, well said.  I take it goodfornothin has not served in the military?

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 02:57:38 PM »
goodfornothin:  "i will happily join a movement that is serious about the mess we are in."

Code Pink?
It takes a quiver to do that.

supthecreek

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 03:43:50 PM »
I'm just here to talk all things SUP... but I'll take a stab at it:

Ask Eve... she's the one that ate the apple.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
I'd bet the percentage of Americans who've fought in wars, or even served in the military, is probably as low at it's ever been.  Same with the percentage who grew up in military families.  Without a draft, there are whole parts of the population who personally know nobody or almost nobody in the military.  So the number of people experiencing war themselves or personally knowing people who have is probably about as low as ever. 

Yet anti-war sentiment (which is different than being against "supporting the troops") is probably as high as ever. 

So what's causing all this anti-war sentiment, if people aren't being exposed to it firsthand, or through firsthand experiences of people they know?  I'd bet a lot is from what people are being exposed to through popular culture (like movies), the press and other mainstream institutions. 

So to me there's irony in seeing people who oppose war viewing making or watching movies as a problem.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin