Author Topic: New SIC 17'  (Read 8835 times)

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: New SIC 17'
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 08:10:51 PM »
I have a feeling I'll have MUCH more fun on my new (old) F16 than I did on the 12' Munoz I rode on the last downwinder I did with those guys.... ;D

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 08:28:47 PM »
Word on the grapevine is that our old f-16's are just as fast as the fancy pants customs - given the right conditions of course.  Rumor has it that Kai Bartlet (of oc-1 fame) recently hopped on an f-16 and clocked a 1:10 - maliko to the harbor. 
(Granted, it's heresay, but I'll do anything to stir the pot on my favorite SUP topic).

Support your local shaper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 06:37:57 AM »
Noticed the square tail on both your new boards Randy...  as opposed to the pointy tail on the older F-16s... Any specific reason? Also, what type of leash are you going to use... Saw LaPeruse's coil leash on his F16.

Congrats on your new board!  I think the idea behind the square tail is to keep the rails more parallel which, if I have it correctly, disturbs the water flow less.  I am not sure about tail shape's effect on release.  It also may add a bit of stability. 

Some of the factors that went in to this board, like the very vertical rails, the parallel outline, and the low rocker should help with speed but will likely  make it a bit harder to direct (and none of these long boards are that easy - they sometimes have a mind of their own). 

We been using Dakine coiled bodyboard leashes and swapping the cuffs with calf cuffs.  That works really well (no leash drag) if you have a forward leash plug.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 07:31:15 AM »
I've found the Mast track on my boards makes a fine place to install a central leash. I use a calf cuff and a kiteboard coiled section. The nice part about buying Da Kine leashes is that you can swap parts easily with just a fin wrench.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 05:50:32 PM »
Just picked up one of the Da Kine Body board leashes for the F16... Holy Cow... its only 4'.  Thats kinda trippy...

Byronmaui

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »
Nice looking board and congrats Randy. No matter what you ride you are faster than a mofo. I swear you were nowhere to be seen when I caught that wave today then all of a sudden you appeared. Scared the hell out of me so I had to leave. ;D ;D

Aloha

Byron

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 10:24:41 PM »
Rand - That board looks soooo sweet!  I noticed that the rudder placement is way more forward than on the others I've seen.  Any insight into that?  Can you step on the tail and surf it a bit or do you just stay in the middle as much as possible?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 05:39:12 AM »
Rand - That board looks soooo sweet!  I noticed that the rudder placement is way more forward than on the others I've seen.  Any insight into that?  Can you step on the tail and surf it a bit or do you just stay in the middle as much as possible?

Hi Evan,

We have had no wind and some OK waves so, I have not been out on it yet.  The rudder placement is similar to the 17'4 that I have done some runs on, and similar to the Kalama board that it was based on.  I didn't make any special rudder requests, as I really don't know the details of how placement effects things.  I go by the basic, Forward=more turny, Back=less turny, but I think that dialing it in to rider position, rocker line, etc is a job for the pros.  I can tell you that the 17'4 that I tried feels different when ruddering than my F16 did.  There is a little feeling of side-sliding when you turn it when swell riding.

If I were to guess, it looks to me like the basic outine of the F16 was used but, of course, narrower.  Then the nose was pulled 6 inches and the entry rocker lowered a bit, then 6 inches added to the tail, with the tail profile being straightened.  As La Perouse said, the F-16 had a lot right about it, and this is probably more of a tweak than a re-start.  As for stepping back, on the 17'4 I tried, it is a must on the steeper swell.  These have less rocker, and you need to be a bit careful of the nose.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 05:47:37 AM »
No matter what you ride you are faster than a mofo

Hi Byron,

I wish that was true.   ;)

I was actually just trying to get over to you guys to get some tips, but was denied by that musher section. 

Next time we have windless mushy waves like that we will need to get working on some "powder eights".  Tried a few of those with Stan yesterday, and it made the day pretty fun.  See you soon!

Rand

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 10:09:58 AM »
It's probably hard to tell the difference by just looking at the pics.  Here's a white F-16 and green F-15 for comparison.

I notice that the F-15 is super fun to surf waist the chest high waves.  You gotta get way back on the rudder area to turn it and that area is smaller than the length of my foot.  It's a weird feeling to have your foot curl over the deck but it's super fun.  When the wave starts dying out or reforming you can get back to the middle, take a couple strokes, tap on the rudder and get right back in the action.  That's why I can't wait to see the F-14 because it may be more maneuverable. 

The gloss coat finish on your board looks really awesome.  It just shines so nicely...

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »
Hey Randy,  looks like they made a mistake, put a F18 sticker on your F17  :o

That board looks SIC.   Congrats.  I like it, different. Is this design the 4.01 Kalama version?

Is it the photo angle or could that use some more deckpad for the back foot?   

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 09:34:56 AM »
Hey Randy,  looks like they made a mistake, put a F18 sticker on your F17  :o

That board looks SIC.   Congrats.  I like it, different. Is this design the 4.01 Kalama version?

Is it the photo angle or could that use some more deckpad for the back foot?   

Hi Mike,

This board looks even more gunned out than the one that was Dave's that I saw in the shop.  To give you an idea, it is less than 6 inches wide at a foot off the nose, less than 11 at two feet.  It is 11 at 1 foot off the tail, and gets wider pretty gradually from there.  I think I will need to add some extra grip on the tail, but I did ask Andre to go minimal, and figured it is easier to put more on than take any off. 

I think you will get a good laugh when you see the one that Chan has coming.  The max stance width is just over 15 inches wide.

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 11:36:54 PM »
Yeah,  those photos make the tail block look a lot wider than 6"   

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 05:05:04 AM »
Yeah,  those photos make the tail block look a lot wider than 6"   

The tail block is 8.75. 

First North Shore run on this was yesterday.   :) :) :)

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »
And???  How was it?  Let's hear some details!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin