Author Topic: Board Control / Leash Etiquette  (Read 28255 times)

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Board Control / Leash Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 01:29:52 PM »
Funny, I run 6' leashes on all my sub 10' boards. I figure with less cord, less momentum with the spring back. That, and it keeps it closer to me, which I like. I was getting owned in 6-8 surf with a 10' leash, but have never been hit since I switched to a shorty. But Im not a nose riding kind-a guy... I can still cheat on up though

I've surfaced after a wipeout and looked around for my board only to have it land near my head.  I think with the longer leash and light epoxy boards this type of occurence is common. However, in a big, thick wave, I'd rather not get dragged by a 6 ft leash on a wipeout. I use either a 10 ft or 12 ft leash depending the day and just surface with my arm over my head and hope for the best.

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 05:51:00 AM »
I just want to let newbies know to be careful grabbing onto the leash in an emergency. I had the bone on my right ring finger broken and ripped out through the skin by holding onto the leash attached to a 9' potatoe chip thin board. I actually was very aware of what was happening and opened my hand as soon as I felt the tug begin, but the leash was ripped out so fast that it caught the end of the finger on my more or less opened hand and still ripped the bone out. I am quite certian that holding onto a SUP with more volume could easily break an arm or dislocate a shoulder or wrist or whatever. No more leash grabbing for me, if I can help it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 08:05:15 PM »
I'm thinking of all the above--short heavy leash (probably eight feet is fine) big handle right at the leash base, and a handle on the nose. I've got bad shoulders and every time I grab a board in the whitewater I wrench something. I've had my leash peel off my ankle twice now. One time the board got retrieved by another kind surfer, the other I had a mile long swim. Makes for a long morning. Maybe we need a sea anchor. Like the runaway brakes on snow skis. When you fall off--pop, a drogue deploys.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 09:06:45 PM »
Ten foot board, twelve foot leash- from riding shortboards you'd know that the board can "scissor" back once it reaches the end of the leash. Not spring back but pivot at the end of the leash and wack the shite out of your head. It happens real fast- watch somebody wipe out in surf, the board often will behave this way. One shot like that and you may be out, face down in the water. Not good. Always ride with a leash longer then the board.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 08:44:28 PM »
Instead of a rope or loop of webbing between 2 leash plugs, perhaps a single 6 to 8 inch length of climbing webbing tied to a spare leash plug is a better idea.  It could be knotted at the end to make it easy to grab, but it would also be easy to let go of, and would not get the fingers tangled around the urethane cord of death.

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 09:52:06 PM »
You can rig a handle between the 2 leash plugs on the Angulos or any Tropical Blends boards.  I ran the rope that goes through the leash plugs through the holes in the handle.  See http://www.standuppaddlesurf.net/pictures/?album=1&gallery=43 and http://www.standuppaddlesurf.net/gallery/tbs_angulo_rigged/DSC03790.JPG

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 07:43:10 AM »
I have recently discovered two techniques that have worked beautifully to keep the board  under control in the impact zone. Of course, if you're all alone out there, just let the board "blow in the wind" but if things don't go as planned and you see people on the inside that could get hit by your board, try these. I spent some extra time getting rolled over in the foam at two separate breaks to be sure they work. Here they are:

1. For small to medium size walls of whitewater, I grab the tailblock on my board. It has plenty of grip and it's easy to release if I need to. I found that as the whitewater approaches, if I sink the tail slightly with my hand on the tailblock, then pull the board backward sharply, just as the whitewater hits, it's sort of like a tail-first duck dive.

2. For those massive grinders that come through, or a more guaranteed grip, grab the leash with one hand and hold the paddle near the handle with the other. Then, quickly wrap the leash around and around the paddle shaft as many times as you can before the wall hits. When, the whitewater hits, grip the paddle with two hands on either side of the wrapped leash and hold on.

Let  me know how they work for you.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 10:46:36 AM »
Nate - Would #2 damage your paddle in larger surf?

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 03:29:41 PM »
If it's your paddle or your buddy's forehead I guess you'll have to decide.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 06:13:12 PM »
That's a hard decision.  lol.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 10:28:55 AM »
good suggestions but the leash wrap sounds dangerous because if you let go with one hand the board would pull the paddle so hard the blade could potentially slice your other hand if it slipped down the shaft, but you would have time to let go I guess if that happened.  I will try some of these tech's today.  Thanks for the heads up.

ANother thing I have been doing is aiming the front of the board into the foam and pushing it from the tail right as foam hits it, but this only works in smaller surf.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 11:14:43 PM »
I don't think much of the leash wrap approach. I've added a handle to the back of my board that I can grab with both hands. I had the board out in some nasty Oregon whitewater with the handle and it worked really well. Of course I was completely alone in the surf, but it worked well as a test, and had the added advantage of reducing the flogging I was getting from the pounders. I used a padded loop that's about ten inches long (twenty inches doubled) with a short bit of downhaul line tied to each end and looped through the two leash plugs on my starboard. Easy to grab, and I can get a hand on each side of the handle quickly, which saves my shoulders from heading in two different directions.

I don't like to grab the leash at all when the board is being whipped around, pretty much a guaranteed rope burn or worse.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 05:34:20 AM »
how 'bout a picture, bill?

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 05:55:32 AM »
2. For those massive grinders that come through, or a more guaranteed grip, grab the leash with one hand and hold the paddle near the handle with the other. Then, quickly wrap the leash around and around the paddle shaft as many times as you can before the wall hits. When, the whitewater hits, grip the paddle with two hands on either side of the wrapped leash and hold on.

Nate, I think this a great suggestion, especially for those can't let go moments. 

Here is a related link about the overall question:

http://www.surfline.com/community/whoknows/whoknows.cfm?id=1003

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 11:07:05 AM »
My new board will nave 2 handles on it.
one about 6 inches from the tip near the top edge of the deck on the left side (port side-I think)
and the other about 12-20 inches in front of the paddling stance pads or centerline of the board on the (Starbird side-right side) of the board.  This way I can grab both handles and reall hold on to the board while using "turtleing technique and pushing on the rear of the board with my foot.  This seems to work really well in big foam piles.  Or if I get caught on the inside ina nasty section I can simply"turn and burn" as I call it and be able to body board the board in while holding onto the handles which keeps the foam from washing me over the front of the board and also lets me steer the board much more effectively avoiding potential colisions.  Al the while with paddle tucked under my right armpit.  I will post some pics after the new year when I pick up my new baby.  I cant wait-SWEET
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin