Author Topic: Do I really need to wear a wetsuit?  (Read 33383 times)

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do I really need to wear a wetsuit?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 06:21:52 AM »
My take on it is that in the winter you are not going to be out there trying to set personal best times, you will be paddling gingerlyl and just enjoying being on the water.  As such, you won't be working as hard/generating as much sweat.  Especially when the sun is not out, you're likely to remain pretty cool even in a wetsuit.

A drybag w/ backup clothes isn't helpful if you dunk yourself and go hypothermic trying to get changed.  Maybe a good option to consider would be to find a 2/1 suit.  It shouldn't be that expensive (esp. if you can pick one up used), and will be a lot better than getting soaked to the core if you go overboard in your street clothes.  Just my $.02..
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 06:37:38 AM »
Good information there for sure feet.

I have generally paddled in tight fleece pieces in cold weather but on my last paddle it really hit me that falling in was not an option. At all. A bit of ignorance on my part I think. I will probably dress different in similar conditions, low 50's air, low 40's water, next time. I had someone with me for a change and that may have opened up my thinking to the consequences a little more.

These may "bridge" the gap between fleece and a wet suit.

http://www.nrs.com/product/2621/nrs-mens-hydroskin-shirt-ls-closeout
http://www.nrs.com/product/2231/nrs-mens-hydroskin-pants-closeout
http://www.nrs.com/product/2230/nrs-mens-hydroskin-farmer-john-closeout

They have made the hydroskin for years. Tried and true. Immersion Research also has great stuff.

Stand Up Pittsburgh

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 06:45:53 AM »
You definitely should wear a wetsuit. It will keep you warm until you get back to the car. Depending on how you fall into the water you will lose your breath for a minute from the shock of the cold. At that water temp I would also recommend a paddling life jacket and not an inflatable. Really helps at that temp getting back on the board when you are trying to catch your breath. If you don't believe me about taking your breath away go down to the water and just dunk your head in. Maybe I'm just a wimp.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 07:38:21 AM »
Area,  Define 'cag' for us who do not speaks King's english.

Jim

Also "Palaver" please and thankyou Area 10

Bang on post, BTW., though I don't think some of the Zoners posting on this thread really
understand what "cold water" really means.
(I know Creek knows....and a few others.  Pretty obvious who should try the head immersion suggestion of Pittsburgh....which is another great suggestion if you're really wondering about cold water shock reaction. )

D.S.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:43:01 AM by Muskoka SUP »
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »
Absolute gotta wear a wetsuit
And Creek I could have saved you money on those Neosports...Should've called
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 09:20:32 AM »
Only time I ever went out in winter without a wetsuit I didn't enjoy the paddle. I was too worried/anxious about falling in to relax and enjoy myself. It's a lot easier to cool off if you get too hot (just jump in and let some water in) than it is to get warm once cold. I've always hated wearing a wetsuit because of the bulk and pain it is to get out of after a session. Since you have a SUPreme even that issue is removed for the most part (I just got the 4/3/2 and love it).

+1 on Area 10's comment...very thoughtful as usual....a mix of a light wetsuit and layers will likely be your best bet in Delaware but everyone is different and we all go out in a wide variety of conditions. One persons COLD is someone else's refreshing. I steam while shoveling snow in shorts and a t-shirt in winter while my next door neighbor is bundled up like an eskimo. Being big has its advantages....staying warm is one of them.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:36:54 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »
I paddle year round in BC, and I agree with the sentiment that a wet suit should be worn for obvious reasons, but I do go out without one sometimes. When I go paddling without a wet suit in the winter, it's usually shorter sessions closer to shore and on the local river where it's a bit safer.

Anyways, I do plan for the "dunk" without a wetsuit and pack an extra hat/toque, shirt, and will throw a light pair of sweat or hiking pants in my dry bag as well. When I wear my wet suit, I still bring extra clothes in my bag. It all packs down easily and is light. I wear an all season Helly Hansen rain jacket with a fleece, and my uninsulated snow/rain pants with neoprene booties. Even after falling in, I find wearing water proof gear with a fleece underneath to be insulating enough to get back to shore and change.

I have fallen in with my wetsuit and there is that initial shock, but that layer of water warms between you and the neoprene heats up quickly if the temps aren't too extreme.  I have even stayed out paddling after falling in on a flat water trip, because I warmed up so quickly.

One thing that changes everything in the winter is the wind. Even a slight breeze can make things miserable when the temp drops, and if you fall in, then it pretty much sucks even if you have all the right gear on. Wind chill is much more prominent on the water because you are so exposed.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:39:38 AM by robon »

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 10:22:03 AM »
Lucabrasi,

What's the difference between the NRS Hydroskin farmer johns and their regular farmer john wetsuits. I have a 2.5 mm farmer john, but would one of this hydroskins be warmer?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »

Jim

Bang on post, BTW., though I don't think some of the Zoners posting on this thread really
(I know Creek knows....and a few others.  Pretty obvious who should try the head immersion suggestion of Pittsburgh....which is another great suggestion if you're really wondering about cold water shock reaction. )

D.S.

Funny... Cag = cagoule. Kayakers typically wear paddle-sport specific cagoules made of breathable Gortex-type material and have cuffs, necks and waistbands that prevent water ingress. You probably have a different term for this clothing article. In the UK they are called "cags" amongst the kayaking and sailing communities. I'm amazed that some enterprising manufacturer has not yet created SUP-specific cags, because the kayak ones aren't quite right for SUP.

Palaver means a tedious commotion or lengthy rigmarole. A PITA as you US guys would probably say. It's just a bit more polite...

And yes, if anyone doubts the profound and frankly quite startling effect of cold shock, try finding an outside pool somewhere in winter where it gets cold with water temp below 50F and go throw yourself in with just your shorts on. The shock typically causes an involuntary reaction which means it is hard to breath followed by very rapid shallow breathing. Unless you are a very good swimmer who can make it to the side in a few seconds before taking a breath, you can find yourself drowning within a couple of metres of dry land.  That is if the cold shock didn't stop your heart immediately. All kinds of strange stuff happens when you unexpectedly fall in really cold water. It needs to be experienced to be believed - but be careful...

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 11:06:41 AM »
All kinds of strange stuff happens when you unexpectedly fall in really cold water. It needs to be experienced to be believed - but be careful...

Rest assured, I believe it without the need to experience it and will gladly go on paying my Southern CA mortgage.  Hats off to you guys! (well, as long as you've got a neoprene hood underneath...)  I daresay I might choose another hobby if I had to endure what you have to.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »
Ok, supthecreek inspired me last year

Don't be ashamed.  It takes cajones to admit to something like that.
We are here to support you -- not pass judgement.  :D

My first rule of life is:
"If you even think it... it's true"

Rick, I think that sounds like the ramblings of a real 'nutter'.    ;D ;) ;D ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:37:28 AM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »

Jim

D.S.

Funny... Cag = cagoule. Kayakers typically wear paddle-sport specific cagoules made of breathable Gortex-type material and have cuffs, necks and waistbands that prevent water ingress. You probably have a different term for this clothing article. In the UK they are called "cags" amongst the kayaking and sailing communities. I'm amazed that some enterprising manufacturer has not yet created SUP-specific cags, because the kayak ones aren't quite right for SUP.

Palaver means a tedious commotion or lengthy rigmarole. A PITA as you US guys would probably say. It's just a bit more polite...

And yes, if anyone doubts the profound and frankly quite startling effect of cold shock, try finding an outside pool somewhere in winter where it gets cold with water temp below 50F and go throw yourself in with just your shorts on. The shock typically causes an involuntary reaction which means it is hard to breath followed by very rapid shallow breathing. Unless you are a very good swimmer who can make it to the side in a few seconds before taking a breath, you can find yourself drowning within a couple of metres of dry land.  That is if the cold shock didn't stop your heart immediately. All kinds of strange stuff happens when you unexpectedly fall in really cold water. It needs to be experienced to be believed - but be careful...

Ahhhhhhhhh   a "Cag".   I've been using one of these. http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-681/level-six-kootenay-paddling-top/

As for "palaver", chalk it up to my limited colonial vocabulary. I shall endeavour to use it in a sentence as soon as the  opportunity arises.  ;)  Thank you.

D.S.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
Do you understand how cold water immersion will suck the energy from your limbs so
fast it will have you sucking air and left gasping for energy to return.

Don't do it. Dress appropriately which means either a wet suit or a dry suit for your cold conditions. Best not to go against what most of us have recommended unless your like the penguin.

supthecreek

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »
Ok, supthecreek inspired me last year

Don't be ashamed.  It takes cajones to admit to something like that.
We are here to support you -- not pass judgement.  :D

My first rule of life is:
"If you even think it... it's true"

Rick, I think that sounds like the ramblings of a real 'nutter'.    ;D ;) ;D ;)

To enlighten my favorite spookini...
Generally, if you have a thought about something, it is because your subconcious already knows the answer.... it's that knowledge that created the thought.

For example:
Do I really need to wear a wetsuit?
Your almost 99 % sure you do... your just looking for someone to save you from the inconvenience of wearing one ;D

DelawhereSUP... it was a GREAT question by the way... you created lots of winter paddling discussion... NICE ;D

JimK... I would have.. of course, but I first saw them on a buddy who owns a local shop... I could do no less... he's a great guy... just like you.
Everyone else should order them from JimK  ;D

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
Do you think that I need to wear a wetsuit to be safe?

I never wear a wetsuit, in any conditions or disciplines. Loads of other options for paddling of all types.

If i'm flat water cruising or blasting, I would wear something that keeps me warm if I do fall in, which I havn't ever yet on the flat.

You could take a spare thermal vest and fleece tracksuit bottoms which you can change into if you do fall in. 

I HATE wetsuits and cant understand why anybody paddling stand up would wear one??
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'