Author Topic: anyone with a prius c (or other small car with no advertised rack fitting)?  (Read 17714 times)

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Why would any serious paddler not buy a car based on its rack?  I narrowed my car choices by whatvrack it had, or could have.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Why would any serious paddler not buy a car based on its rack?  I narrowed my car choices by whatvrack it had, or could have.

I agree yet nasty things like miles per gallons keep haunting my thoughts when I'm in my 16mpg truck, which has great racks and spread.  33 is what I'm getting with the Honda which feels dyno. 

ayres_sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

sorry, but paddling is not a necessity, and saving on gas money is a necessity (money that is then saved for, what will be, very expensive education costs as my young daughter gets older).  honolulu ain't cheap!  have you been to honolulu?  second worst traffic in the u.s.  so a lot of that gas is spent stopping and going in traffic.  i'll take 50+ mpg on rack options any day of the week.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yes but a Prius isn't cheap.  I read it takes ten years to make up the difference with increased mpg for the premium one pays for a 50+ mpg Prius.  Settling for a gas engine with mpg in the 30s is only 15 gs.

Rail_Banger

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile

I've already spoken with them... they said there's no foot that will fit the prius c.  and they've heard of people trying the closest compatible feet - only to have the rack come off while driving.  so if they're telling me there isn't one, i believe them.  but if toyota shows me one, then i'll bite.

Bummer I just spoke to my friend who happens to be the West Coast /Hawaii rep for Thule and confirmed it is not available.

Yes but a Prius isn't cheap.  I read it takes ten years to make up the difference with increased mpg for the premium one pays for a 50+ mpg Prius.  Settling for a gas engine with mpg in the 30s is only 15 gs.

A family friend just bought a new Pious and keeps saying how much money he is saving on gas with the 30K compact car ::)  I wonder what the break even point really is for a comparable gas or diesel vehicle

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
yes I have been to Honolulu.  lots of cities have heavy traffic. I have lived in Boston, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles.  I know traffic.  you can have both you know, good mileage and a suitable rack to carry your board.  since 1980, I have not bought a vehicle without checking the rack possibilities, for bikes, kayaks, surf skis, and now paddle boards.  lots of paddlers here have the Jetta Sport Wagon clean diesel.  mileage is very good.  rack is not too high.  good crossbar spread.  it doesn't quite make the political statement that a Prius (pious!?!) does, though.  some of the compact SUVs do pretty well on  gas.  and, it has been said on this thread, with a 10 year break even point for a hybrid, which is about when it will need new batteries, are you really saving? 

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Just had my rack fail and board come off at over 70mph on Sunday.  The straps were run inside and that is what saved the board from being a total loss.  It hit the ground right side up and was held next to the car by the straps caught in the right side doors and the bow line.  Just one hole worn in the bow center line and cracked/broken wood around the fin box.  Hopefully just a weekends work if I can get things warm enough to cure epoxy in a reasonable time.

The point is don't go experimenting, and don't assume that it still is in good condition.

As far as drilling holes in the roof, the factory supplied dealer installed racks on the Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport were installed on Nutserts with 1/4-20 threads

Obfuscation through elucidation

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
yes I have been to Honolulu.  lots of cities have heavy traffic. I have lived in Boston, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles.  I know traffic.  you can have both you know, good mileage and a suitable rack to carry your board.  since 1980, I have not bought a vehicle without checking the rack possibilities, for bikes, kayaks, surf skis, and now paddle boards.  lots of paddlers here have the Jetta Sport Wagon clean diesel.  mileage is very good.  rack is not too high.  good crossbar spread.  it doesn't quite make the political statement that a Prius (pious!?!) does, though.  some of the compact SUVs do pretty well on  gas.  and, it has been said on this thread, with a 10 year break even point for a hybrid, which is about when it will need new batteries, are you really saving? 
I am reasonable sure you intend no  offence, but my first feeling is "climb down out of your ivory tower and smell the cat food".  I am happy for you that your financial situation affords you the ability to choose your vehicles on such frivolous grounds, but the world is full of people who simple can not.  It only furthers the idea that SUP is a sport for rich old white men and their trophy wives.   

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
A recent survey of Hybrid owners showed they won't buy Hybrid as their next vehicle.   They loved the concept.  But, personally the financial trade-off was not worth it.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Another option is to go smaller in board length and stuff the board inside the car.  One of our area surfers does this.  

I love my volt.  22000 miles on 82 gallons of gas. I just wish they had a pickup option.  When they do come out with one I will be nearly the first in line.  Until then I will keep enjoying only 40 gallons of fuel for a year of use. I figure I save 300 month on fuel bills and when the car is paid off the savings will continue as long as I own it.  The volt is expected to be a million mile car.  Battery replacement now costs around 3k but should come down in cost and be up in kilowatts when it is time to replace it.  It is warrantied for 8 years and is expected to last 15 years.  I also received a 7500 tax credit the year I bought it.  The car is a fantastic value and I expect it to eventually pay for itself. I have only made money on a few of the cars I have owned. The money made never offset the cost of driving them. 

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Can't vouch for these personally but I do know of a few users of the Sea Sucker system. They are very happy with them. http://www.seasucker.com/

Thanks for that info. I've just ordered a set. I think it will also be useful for rental cars on vacation trips.

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
I am reasonable sure you intend no  offence, but my first feeling is "climb down out of your ivory tower and smell the cat food".  I am happy for you that your financial situation affords you the ability to choose your vehicles on such frivolous grounds, but the world is full of people who simple can not.  It only furthers the idea that SUP is a sport for rich old white men and their trophy wives.   

Hilarious.  Dont think you need to be rich to buy a Jetta wagon.  Pretty sure the Pious costs more.  I will let my wife know you think she is hot.  Your outlook on life will evolve as you mature.

eeck62

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
All,
For solving the rack problem I have been happy with these racks.  I did the install myself.  They are solid

http://rackattackportland.wordpress.com/2009/07/30/2010-toyota-prius-custom-yakima-track-setup/
Me:  6'1" x 180
Board(S): Axis foils: HPS 980, BSC 740, 810, ART 899, 999
Jimmy Lewis Wing Board 4’10” x 23 x 71L
Rawson 7’8” x 26”
Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" x 28.3/4 x 99L
Naish Hokua 8'5" x 28 x 115L

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

Hilarious.  Dont think you need to be rich to buy a Jetta wagon.  Pretty sure the Pious costs more.  I will let my wife know you think she is hot.  Your outlook on life will evolve as you mature.
Pomposity suits you well

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
you have obfuscated the issue, Pious, let me elucidate you: many serious paddlers make sure their new ride will carry whatever sort of watercraft(s) they paddle before they buy.  it is really simple.  if you think that is "frivolous", then so be it,  but you can't get your board to the water and I can. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf