Author Topic: Best Pizza  (Read 12154 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best Pizza
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 09:04:25 AM »
a little restaurant in france on the west cost near Naunt a 100yards from the beach they also served the best ice cream !

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
Ichabod, I'm with you on the humor, but yea, if it weren't true that mentioning pizza to a New Yorker wouldn't get their heart to race a bit, all humor would be lost.  Do the same thing about BBQ to someone from Kansas City, Tacos and San Diego, or Gumbo in New Orleans, and watch those hearts pound.  Just the mention of best beer is bound to draw fisticuffs.

For the record, that is the first ever use of the word "fisticuffs" in anything I've ever written.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 10:50:14 AM »
Yeah, we New Yawkers get a little testy about our pizza, but that's because it's the best!

;D
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »
Regina deserves the props, but I would love to get another recommendation for North End pizza. For a less "traditional" pizza,  I like Flatbread Company that is scattered around the New England. The Portsmouth, NH location is great!
Guck, flatbread. There's one in Paia, and I stop there occasionally, knowing that it's going to be mediocre organic foo from people who wear drawstring pants and birkies. If there was a good pizza joint in 30 miles of Paia I'd never go there again. I've tried them all. Dreck. tomato-coated cardboard with excessive stuff on top trying to mask the crap underneath.

Good dough
Good technique
Good sauce
Good cheese

That's what makes a good pizza. Not organic nitrate free pepperoni made from free range pigs who volunteered to be eaten.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »
I had pizza in the hilltown I lived in in Italy that was nothing but dough, with a little salt, pepper and olive oil, and it was great.  People made their own olive oil from their own olives, and it was as good as any sauce. 

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »
I don't think much could add to the collective brain trust we've got assembled here, but a buddy from New Haven had this on his Facebook today.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/22/new-haven-pizza-named-best-in-america/#.Umc4wikTcd0.twitter

Slatch--I'm not that concerned about the fisticuffs, unless it leads to a donnybrook.  Then we've got problems.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 05:16:23 PM »
If your kid happens to go to UMass or any school out in Amherst make sure you checkout Antonio's. Doesn't matter what time of day you go there...always a line out the door. Partly because of the heavy student population but also because they have great pizza. Probably 15 or so different types you can try by the slice. If the one you want isn't there it will be in a couple of minutes. I don't think I've ever seen a place that sells so much pizza. They have another one in Providence up by Brown U but it's not as good.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 05:19:27 PM »
I had pizza in the hilltown I lived in in Italy that was nothing but dough, with a little salt, pepper and olive oil, and it was great.  People made their own olive oil from their own olives, and it was as good as any sauce. 

Amen. Mostly it's the dough. That pizza on the CBS site looked like someone dumped a garbage pail on a perfectly good pizza. If you want to eat vegetables, have a salad. If you want five kinds of meat, have a sub, if you want pizza, keep it simple.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »
My favorite is olive oil, fresh basil, sliced tomato, and mozzarella. Still simple but lots of flavor.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 07:39:24 PM »
My favorite is olive oil, fresh basil, sliced tomato, and mozzarella. Still simple but lots of flavor.
That's a great combination.  I make grilled sandwiches with those all the time on my panini maker--actually pretty close to pizza.  If you like those you might think about getting one.  Much better and easier than when I've tried to make pizza at home.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »
When my daughter was at UMass ate at Antonio's - good but I still think Regina's original El Supremo. The place in New Haven is good! Pinocchio's in Harvard Square is also good. Flatbread in Waitsfield, VT - once again the original good. The first Bertucci's and Bocci in Somerville was good, but that was many moons ago!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Re: Best Pizza
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 06:50:25 AM »
I need to stop reading this thread before lunch. Now I'm officially starving.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »
cbig......small world....don't know many folks that went to the original Bertucci's. I used to work in Cambridge, two blocks away, all our lunchtime meetings were Bertucci's pizzas and we used to go over at lunch and play bocci frequently. I think they closed that one though after they went franchise/corporate.

PDX....try it on the grill. A pannini press is a must for sandwiches but pizza on the grill is crazy good. We have a good sized garden, so tons of tomatoes of diffent types, we have 4 or 5 different types of basil, home made dough, and make our own mozzerella...there is usually some fresh roasted garlic involved too...no homemade olive oil though.....maybe I should start an olive orchard. I sometimes add some mesquite or hickory to the grill too. Making pizza at home is easy on the grill or in the oven but you need a pizza stone for the oven.

LOL....I have a strange affliction....when the facial nerve healed after surgery the signals got crossed from my salivary glands and tear ducts on the left side....writing this I'm making myself hungry and I have tears running down my face.... :'(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:45:41 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2013, 08:18:36 AM »
OK Admin needs remove these posts before lunch I'M STARVING

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »

PDX....try it on the grill. A pannini press is a must for sandwiches but pizza on the grill is crazy good. We have a good sized garden, so tons of tomatoes of diffent types, we have 4 or 5 different types of basil, home made dough, and make our own mozzerella...there is usually some fresh roasted garlic involved too...no homemade olive oil though.....maybe I should start an olive orchard. I sometimes add some mesquite or hickory to the grill too. Making pizza at home is easy on the grill or in the oven but you need a pizza stone for the oven.

LOL....I have a strange affliction....when the facial nerve healed after surgery the signals got crossed from my salivary glands and tear ducts on the left side....writing this I'm making myself hungry and I have tears running down my face.... :'(

You guys are killing me. I’m crying and I don’t even have my wires crossed. How about some ice cold beer with that pizza? May I recommend Chimay.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]