Author Topic: Is distance paddling boring!  (Read 12139 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is distance paddling boring!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 08:35:46 AM »
The funniest thing is, these people who complain about it being boring, will sit in the line-up for hours with 'no waves'!

I do like mixing up my launch point for a change of scenery. For my work standard workout paddle, it's just anchor & pull, anchor and pull for 6 miles.

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

paddlinglass

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 08:52:41 AM »
Daybreak, sunset and night time can make any paddle interesting.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 09:47:44 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes!  Add to that, all different weather conditions, and traffic.  (boat, not cars on your way to the paddle.. >:()

It's no different than going for a bike ride, be it road or mtb, or anything in between.

I love going out into onshore winds to "earn" a downwinder.   But when there's glass,
that's the time to work on your stroke, or balance.  Try throwing in some pivot turns around buoys.   

Or best of all, stop and take the time for some pics.   Then post a T.R. here on the Zone.

D.S.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 10:30:14 AM »
I love distance paddling and don't think I have really been bored yet. Especially living in the mountains with so much variability in what to look at. I find it very relaxing and enjoy the exploring aspect, and finding isolated beaches or just cool spots in general. Lately I have been hunting for native pictograph sites on various lakes, so paddling with a specific purpose in mind is cool as well.

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »
Cool to read the different ways people have to enjoy the same equipment... stoke in all of it!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
+1, love any kind of paddling but sunrise, sunset and full moon paddles can be magic

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 11:26:07 AM »
Just picked up a heavily used 14' Hobie Elite last night.  Thanks to TallDude for letting me borrow his board and getting the hooks in.  Stoked to try a different discipline of this sport! 
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 11:43:24 AM »
I gave up hanggliding for motor racing, I said HG was boring, but it was not, I just did not have a better word for it.  Looking back it did not have the visceral impact I was looking for.  I suspect that is what is going on with the people that call it boring.  It is just not what they need out of their limited free time, they just don't have a better way to express it.

Distance paddling alone is meditation to me, only time I can quite my mind.  On Tuesday I paddled right past a police boat that was hailing me, I knew he were there and was getting out of  of his way, but was too lost in my mind to comprehend what he wanted. 

Distance paddling with others is a social event, and some days we go places I would not have otherwise gone or not gone alone.  There was lots of flooding this weekend, Saturdays paddle was canceled because of it.  Sunday I ended up with a kayak group in a tidal estuary, last I was there was for the lotus bloom.  They were shoulder high then, Sunday we paddled over top of them, then up past the fall line and into a flooded forest, then into a flooded stream that no one can remember being navigable in the last 10 years. 
Obfuscation through elucidation

shankfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • shankfoo on fb
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »
I think this depends very heavily both on where you're paddling and what state of mind you're in.
As someone who stares at screens all day, focusing inward instead of looking for visual stimulation is actually a welcome break.

That said, a one-way paddle or an island-circuit usually has a roundtrip paddle beat in the scenery department.

You should try paddling the Concord river this time of year.  It's hard to be bored when you're being chased by pissed-off beavers!

EDIT: I should add that Meryl is all about 'paddle-birding' ... so am I if I'm being honest... 4MPH plus a heron flyby > *MPH

A nice light pair of waterproof binocs clipped to your belt pack can literally change your perspective on distance paddling.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:58:43 AM by shankfoo »
- Kevin -
| Angulo Shaka 14' | Surftech Bark Laird 14' | Coreban Alpha 12'6 | Uli 14' | Red 10'6 || QB Kanaha 100 86" |

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »

You should try paddling the Concord river this time of year.  It's hard to be bored when you're being chased by pissed-off beavers!
I  am not even going there

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 12:39:39 PM »

We have them here.  A guy I paddle with was chased by some and when he tried to beat them off with his paddle, they snatched it. 

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »

I  am not even going there
We have them here.  A guy I paddle with was chased by some and when he tried to beat them off with his paddle, they snatched it.  

The worst is when it's starting to get dark and you can't really see the f*ckers. They start getting more active, and you get close without seeing them, and then...SPLASH!!! with the tail smack and they dive. Beavers have scared the crap out of me in the evening more times than I can remember now.

On a side note, the bats really come out at night here and it's pretty neat to see them repeatedly zipping overhead, and right in front of you while paddling after sunset.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:17:55 PM by robon »

SURFnTURF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »
As someone previously said, it depends on your mindset.    Even if they are my usual paddling waters that I have been in hundreds of times, no.  It's calming, my outlet.  Especially when the in-laws are visiting and the alternative to paddling is listening to an old man grumble at the tv.
Beer is good for you!

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
I've heard a bunch of people I paddle surf with, say distance paddling is boring. I guess if you have a really wide touring board, you paddle straight out into the ocean or large lake, the water is glassy, and you're paddling at around 3 miles an hour, then it would be. I just did 6 miles today in the ocean, on my unlimited. It's narrow and tippy, so you have to be on your guard or you're swimming. The whole time I was focusing on my stroke. I averaged just under 6 mph. Taking sips off my water, as the sweat poured over my eyes. I didn't let up the whole paddle. At any point did I find myself bored? No.....   

Depends on the definition of 'distance'....6 miles on an unlimited board is more of a sprint and not really boring.  Long distances over open water can be mind numbing when all you see is water.  I prefer rivers or lakes covering long distances 20+ miles.  My mind is my greatest antagonist on any paddle.  Fears, daily stresses of life or pain all surface in my little brain on long paddles.  Finding calm and peace can be difficult....as  a result, I really like whitewater just to get my mind on other things.  Boredom is rarely an issue.   

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 01:46:24 PM »

We have them here.  A guy I paddle with was chased by some and when he tried to beat them off with his paddle, they snatched it. 
At least someone understood

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards