Author Topic: Help! Overwhelmed by choices  (Read 10800 times)

NefariouSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Help! Overwhelmed by choices
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
I'm looking for my first touring board and could really use some help.  I think I've narrowed it down to the following:
Starboard Touring 12'6"x30"
Naish Glide 12'6" GS
Jimmy Lewis Blade II
Boardworks Raven 12'6"

No downwinding, just the local bays.  I'm 190lbs plus my 5yr old will be with me.  My research turns up nothing but good stuff about the Naish, Glide & Raven but not a whole lot of info out there on the Blade.  Of the three, I've only been able to find the Blade II locally for demo.

SUPmission

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »
have you considered any 14 footers
NSP 14'
BIC 12'6"

NefariouSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:29:09 AM »
I have not considered any 14'... and really can't say why other than it just seemed longer than I needed.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »
All solid choices for touring.  Are you an experienced paddler or just starting out?  I would demo if possible, but here is my 2 cents...

The Glide & Raven have boxier, harder rails and have more of a Cadillac feel on the water.  Very stable, comfortable cruisers. 

The Blade 2 is an inch narrower & may feel a little racier.  Still stable but not quite like the 1st two.  It should be marked down too as it is discontinued this year.

The SB Touring is still stable but has more rounded rails and if rough water touring & dw runs eventually come into the picture, is IMO the best option. 

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

NefariouSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »
I'm just starting out in the paddling world. 

I really am leaning towards the SB or Naish.  Why such a difference in SB Touring price between the AST white & AST Silver/Wood?

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »
I'm just starting out in the paddling world. 

I really am leaning towards the SB or Naish.  Why such a difference in SB Touring price between the AST white & AST Silver/Wood?

There isn't a deck pad on the AST White and the stock fin is a cheaper Drake plastic model. Just a bit more fit and finish with the wood deck and Silver models.

I have the SB Touring and if you want to take your kid with you, then the Naish would work better. The Touring has an exaggerated ridge that extends back a few feet from the nose, and it eats up space. A bit too much space imo and I think it's overkill, as well of a bit of a weak spot on the board as well.  Your kid will have more room to move on the Naish or Raven. The Raven is a touch over 30" wide with 290L of volume, so it should be able to hold a bit more weight than the SB Touring. I don't know how Naish came up with their volume rating at 265 litres, but it is a very thick and voluminous board comparable with the Raven.

With that said, I have become a fan of rounded edges compared to squared off/boxy edges. Initial stability doesn't seem to be quite as good, but I'm a believer when it comes to cross chop and control in downwind conditions. Both styles will serve you well though.

NefariouSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »
Thanks for the info on the SB Touring... Space for my 5yr (who's all over the deck when we paddle) is key as she will be with me 90% of the time.  The primary bay we paddle on has a lot of boat/pwc traffic so when it is rough it comes at you from all directions.

I just wish I could find a Glide locally to demo.  I'm told by a local shop that they can get the Raven to demo so it sounds like those two are what I'm looking for.

Is there a touring option in the $1500 range I should consider that I'm not currently?

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 07:08:56 PM »
If you can,test a Riviera Voyager. 31.5 wide and LOTS of tie down points for touring. Should be stable enough for a child and could use tie down points for s seat pad or temporary handle. Comes as a 12'6 or 14'. I hoping the local dealer here gets a 14 in soon so I can test paddle.

NefariouSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:43:59 PM »
I did test the Voyager in breezy/light chop and did not like the way it paddled.  It just felt like it was all over the place.  I've also demo'd a Lakeshore Heavenly that tracked nice and straight but I don't know how it'll do in mixed up boat chop.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:45:45 PM by NefariouSUP »

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:28:16 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that about the Voyager. Here on just the ICW we have 1-2' chop with crosswinds,tide changes and boat wakes from all directions. I have not found a suitable displacement style hull(even with expensive aftermarket fins) suitable for island hopping here. Best board for this I've found is my Hobie ATRII 12'2 planing (surfboard) style hull. Handles all this stuff decently and has good glide in calmer conditions.

SUP_pauly

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 06:25:29 AM »
I also just started with Stand up Paddling and I have been demoing many boards.  Mainly touring boards.  Have you looked at the Tahoe Zephyr or Tahoe Rubicon?  I have tried them both and like them.  I liked the Zephyr so much, I am getting the 14' version this week.

Paul
14' Tahoe Zephyr
12'6" Red Paddle Co Explorer
12'6" Red Paddle Co Race

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 06:25:52 AM »
Nefarious, if you're new to SUP... and claim you're daughter will be with you on 90% of paddles...

Have you ever considered a "good" inflatable touring shape?  (and by good, I mean one made by the reputable makers ($1000+), not the <$700 stuff on eBay, etc...)

If I was a kid again, I'm pretty sure I'd think that scooting around on, diving/falling off of, and climbing back on dad's inflatable was a lot more fun than the same on a hard board.  Inflatables are rigid yet forgiving underfoot, and not slippery like a hardboard if you venture off the traction pad.  You also wouldn't have the issue of domed front deck, like on many hardboard displacement models.  And they can be climbed on, walked on, and sat on when the board is out of the water (what kid isn't going to do that?), w/o fear of being damaged.

I see that for 2014, Fanatic has 11' and 12' iSUPs in 34" width.  And Red Paddle Co. has a 12'6 at 32", and a 10'8" at 36".  I'd think at 34" or 36", your passenger could move around easily, stand up w/ you, maybe even fish off the side :).

If you've never paddled a quality inflatable, you might want to see if you can demo one locally, to get a sense of their rigidity and feel.  They paddle/perform better than you might think.  You can't get hurt falling off them.  And they don't HAVE to be deflated.  They can be left inflated and transported on the roof rack.  Just another choice to overwhelm you during your search. :D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:49:07 AM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

NefariouSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 07:58:15 AM »
I have considered an iSUP... briefly.  I read most of the one extemely long iSUP thread on here.  Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm not giving more consideration to an iSUP as it fits and the Fanatic's & Red Paddle's (which I hadn't looked at previously) look good.

Thanks for muddying the waters even more... ;)

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 08:30:24 AM »
Thanks for muddying the waters even more... ;)

My pleasure!   :D

I have a Red and can attest to the build quality.  Also, as an FYI since you're new to the forum,  JimK is a member here and a Fanatic dealer.   A good source of information and he always gives Zoners a very fair deal.  He's also a 'bigger' guy..  if you want feedback on the Fanatic iSUPs and their float for bigger paddlers and child passenger.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Martog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 08:51:50 AM »
I see that you're in San Diego. You have one of best iSUP makers in the world in your backyard - ULI is in Vista now (but used to be near PB in San Diego).

Super nice outfit. Jim used to let folks demo anything out of his house in Mission Beach. Not sure how he's doing it now with the shop in Vista, but I imagine a phone call would get you set up.

As far as other demos, check out what is offered by:
Fastlane Sailing Center (on Mission Bay)
OEX (also on Mission Bay)
Westcoast Paddle Sports (near Costco on Morena - call and talk to Bob)

If you are considering an ULI Steamroller or a 14' Naish Glide I can let you take a spin on one (or both) of my boards. I'm in North PB so Mission Bay is close by.

Happy hunting...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]