Author Topic: THE Landlord...  (Read 15245 times)

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
THE Landlord...
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:30:53 AM »
...is out there. Doubtful any of us would have an interaction with this species. This was a big girl for sure.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/06/04/possible-world-record-breaking-mako-shark-caught-off-la-coast/

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: THE Landlord...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:40:33 AM »
More and more sighting of more and more species in So. Cal. lately.

One theory I have heard on why this is has to do with water quality improvements over the past 10 years.

The result is kelp beds appear to be on the rebound, providing more natural habitat for those towards the bottom of the food chain, resulting in more food all the way up the chain (small/medium/large fish, sea lions, and finally the apex predators (such as these sharks).

No idea if that is the cause, but it makes a ton of sense.

Happy to have these guys in the local waters, as long as they stay outside the line up.
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:11:55 AM »
Can someone explain why this shark was killed?  I'm assuming the charter boat was not fishing for sharks but happened to land this one... why wouldn't they release it once they were able to?  Or is that not possible for a shark of that size?  Sorry, I don't have much experience with charters that can haul something of that size.

CowichanSUPer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:40:52 AM »
pretty sure they were fishing for it...."The crew used cut bait and chum to lure the shark. The body of the fish will be donated to research"  I think the comment that they were going to donate the body to research is supposed to make things okay with the senseless killing part.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:44:12 AM »
They were fishing for Mako, they chummed for it. Shortfin Makos are not protected, and there is an active commercial fishery for them. A lot of the shark meat you can buy in a grocery store is Mako. It's probably not a sustainable fishery, but they are a fast growing species and reproduce more efficiently than most sharks. They are also one of the few semi-warm blooded sharks, and playing one on a rod and reel would probably deplete it's energy to the point it would die on release--it's brain would shut down. Yes, there are warm-blooded fish, or at least fish that generate significant heat through metabolism--swordfish, tuna, several species of sharks, and a handful of other species. "Fish are cold blooded" is one more piece of simplistic bullshit that high school science taught you. Honeybees are individually cold-blooded but endothermic as a hive--which is the only way they live. Anyway,  if you fight any of these fish all the way to the boat the likelihood of a successful release (meaning the fish lives) is smaller than true cold-blooded fish.

But the real reason the guy killed it was so it could be hauled up in the air and have it's picture taken with him. And he "donated it for scientific study" because he didn't want to eat old Mako for the next ten years.  I wouldn't kill one, but that's just because I think they're so very cool.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:01:28 AM »
Fish are a hard animal to classify. They try to determine fish by gill count and structure but then things like blood temp and various other things pop up that makes fish a super complex animal. Humans want everything put into special little categories. Nature says F-THAT! 

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:08:12 AM »
Pono, thanks for the insight.  Makes more sense now and I also realized that I ate Mako at a wedding a few years ago and it was delicious.  I also realized that a charter boat that can haul in a fish of that size must be looking for fish of that size.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »
I'd be willing to bet that the steaks will be taken before the body is donated to science.... ;D. At $9/lb I would definitely at least fill my freezer. It would be interesting to know what the core temp was after that long a fight on a fish so big. I've never caught one but have heard stories of bigger ones being hot to the touch when brought in.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:16:52 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:21:02 AM »
I wouldn't kill one, but that's just because I think they're so very cool.

well said! exactly why i dont eat cows, pigs, chickens etc...They ARE cool!!! I enjoy watching them and their company. Most folks take them for granted. Someday we will have a small farm  :).

Apologize for slight hijack  
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 12:01:10 PM »
I wouldn't kill one, but that's just because I think they're so very cool.

well said! exactly why i dont eat cows, pigs, chickens etc...They ARE cool!!! I enjoy watching them and their company. Most folks take them for granted. Someday we will have a small farm  :).

Apologize for slight hijack  

They are cool but even better in a nice sauce.... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 12:10:29 PM »
Can someone explain why this shark was killed?  I'm assuming the charter boat was not fishing for sharks but happened to land this one... why wouldn't they release it once they were able to?  Or is that not possible for a shark of that size?  Sorry, I don't have much experience with charters that can haul something of that size.

It was killed for entertainment. ' while filming a show called “The Professionals” for the Outdoor Channel.'

It is a disgrace, and yeah donated to science is complete bullshit and I doubt it is even true.

lanikaipaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
i wonder how old the thing was
Ben

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 02:38:02 PM »
Hopefully this will start making a difference.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/30/environment-sharks-idUSL5N0EB3C120130530

The biggest issue for shark populations is getting China onboard with stopping practices like this....shark fin soup...38 million sharks/year for soup. Don't even get me started with Rhino horn as an aphrodisiac.
Bob

AM9K

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »
$10k in sashimi and even more from commercial sponsors... he had a gaff with his name on it. 
Instagram/Twitter: @AM9K

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »
It's interesting how the more you are around the ocean, the more you accept the living things that "own" it and see them less as monsters.

I may be wrong, but it seems like a lot of the "shark!!!" stories here seem to be posted by folks who don't get a lot of salt on their boards.

I am far from fearless but I too am glad that these guys might be on the comeback. We've given this place quite a beating over the years. I'm proud that LA's air is better now than 40 years ago. Some people bemoan technology and progress, but I see it as a way we might be able to live on this planet without destroying it.

I quit hunting because I don't eat what I kill, same for fishing. But I'm no hippy. I respect those who eat what they catch as participating in the cycle of nature. Native/aboriginal people figured it out about right if you ask me... and nobody had to, cause this is the internet. ;)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf