Author Topic: My Puma Laird  (Read 17566 times)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
My Puma Laird
« on: May 31, 2013, 04:56:51 AM »
So far I have only had a chance to have it out once. It seemed fast. Very stable.  I had it out with the fins that were in it.  Need to talk with Larry about which pair to use with it.  Sorry the photos are not the best.  I had just cleaned out after getting it out of the water and it is shiny.  I will try and get some others later if anyone is interested.

I don't care about the comments on the board. Already heard and seen them and I have thicker skin than most.  I know this is a new and very different design than what is around.  So don't be afraid to have an open conversation about it. It is definitely interesting.  I think it is friggin sexy!

I have a small canal near me that  is influenced VERY little by wind and current. I plan on doing some speed tests with my gps compared to some other boards I have.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Puma Laird
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 05:09:02 AM »
Nice..  :-*

DJ

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:59:12 AM »
 :o ::)

Ninja Tuna, that is one cool board.  You better weight it and measure it etc, 'cause the Zone collective are going to ask.  I don't think many Zoner's will have snide comments, most will be envious even if they don't admit it.  Talk about a great quiver addition. It's meant to be paddled, so make sure you do - lots!

You could also even consider keeping it in your living room between sessions.....I think PDX would... ;D ;D

DS
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:55:09 AM »
You can see the sailboat design influence on the bottom shape. Totally round bottom with no hard edges except on the tail. I think Larry will have to make customs Phoenix fins for that board because of the fin box.
If it’s the same board that I saw a year ago, I was disappointed. I expected to see a high performance race board. It was big, heavy, and expensive. It’s definitely the coolest touring board on the planet.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:04:36 AM »
I thought there were fins designed for this board that were made by Futures.  Did those fins come with the board?

I'm interested to hear if this board is fast (or at least as fast as other boards that are the same size), despite the comments I've read that it is heavy.

Specs on the board I found say it is 481L and weighs 37lbs.  If that is the case, I don't think it is heavy for its volume.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:56:31 AM by jd »

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »
I suspect Larry will tell you that two MUCH smaller fins will do the trick... Maybe two Gladiator Pro's or even smaller, since stability won't be an issue.  You don't want any more surface area slowin' you down, and it's probably not going to have tracking issues unless you are in big side winds.  Thanks for the pics.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »
I suspect Larry will tell you that two MUCH smaller fins will do the trick... Maybe two Gladiator Pro's or even smaller, since stability won't be an issue.  You don't want any more surface area slowin' you down, and it's probably not going to have tracking issues unless you are in big side winds.  Thanks for the pics.

I would run what Beau has here in this pic except using 2 Bat fins because of the volume in the tail of this  board and fin box placement for low drag with the ventral fin up front because of how high out of water you are running to keep the board in good tracking which will still be easy to turn with the nose volume of that board .
Allison Race Fins

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »
Thanks Larry,  I will be in touch with you soon about getting a pair of those.  I have the 1 thresher from you but I am assuming that is bigger than the bat fins.

jd, it did come with the futures for it, but honestly those did not look like they were anything special.  I am going to try them and see how they do though. I have a SICX-14 that I am going to compare it speedwise against.

I will weigh the board over the weekend and get some measurements.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »
Thanks Larry,  I will be in touch with you soon about getting a pair of those.  I have the 1 thresher from you but I am assuming that is bigger than the bat fins.

jd, it did come with the futures for it, but honestly those did not look like they were anything special.  I am going to try them and see how they do though. I have a SICX-14 that I am going to compare it speedwise against.

I will weigh the board over the weekend and get some measurements.

The Thresher is to tall and not enough surface area to match that board compared to the Bat. I have a SICK combo look for you my friend will share and you can post it when you get it. Ya! Pa! Doo!!!!
Allison Race Fins

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »
:o ::)

Ninja Tuna, that is one cool board.  You better weight it and measure it etc, 'cause the Zone collective are going to ask.  I don't think many Zoner's will have snide comments, most will be envious even if they don't admit it.  Talk about a great quiver addition. It's meant to be paddled, so make sure you do - lots!

You could also even consider keeping it in your living room between sessions.....I think PDX would... ;D ;D

DS
Hey, no fair!  I don't keep all my boards in the living room:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=8182.msg80301#msg80301

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
Make fun of it?  It's a Lamborghini... But it works on men instead... It may not have the best lap times, but when dudes see it, their panties drop!

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 07:55:44 PM »
Ok, got out the handy dandy bathroom scale that is pretty reliable with all my overweight luggage when I fly. I am getting about 41lbs. The board had some water all over the surface.  It is raining here. I will do it when it is completely dry and see if I get anything different.  Don't know if that had any influence but it won't kill me to do it. The weight was with the futures fins in it.

The tail is 28.5 inches wide and the wide point up near where I stand is roughly 30.5 to 31 inches wide. Trying to get close with the round rails.

I took it out yesterday before the rain storms with the stock Futures fins.  What a huge difference compared to the big race fins.  With the futures, it was much more unstable and did not track nearly as well.  When really digging on strokes, I would be lucky to get 5 and have switch sides. Now when I had the Ninja and Gladiator fin in the board, it track much truer and way more stable.

I went into the canal near me. The was some wind yesterday that had some influence on the first section of the canal.  I used my gps with me and measured out a quarter mile in the canal.  I was using my new Ke Nalu with the Maliko blade. First time ever using it. Just wanted to see what everything felt like but could resist testing a little out of curiousity.  I did one run in each direction. First run would be the one that was against the wind towards the front of the canal.  Slight moving start and did it in 3 minutes with a max speed of 5.8 mph. Then I sat on the board and made myself take a 6 minute break and did the second run in the direction that would be with the wind at the front section.  This run was 15 seconds faster with a max speed of 5.9mph.  I got out of the water after that cuz  the thunder sounded like it was getting closer.  I will test the SIC X14 on another day just to compare.

One thing I did notice while paddling casually through the canal was it was quite easy to hold about 3-3.5 mph pace with very very little effort.  My stroke probably needs some improvement and more refining, but I am practicing. The new paddle will hopefully help more as I use it.  My cardio does need some work and I was hung over in the morning.

Talked with Larry and he said he has some slick fins in the making for me.  Will post pics when I get them set up.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 07:01:47 AM »
Thanks for the report Ninja.....

Like I said (and yes I'm envious) it's a cool board.  Weight?  Big deal.  What it cost you? None of anyone's business. 

I had a co-worker a few years ago that had an Olds 442 that was his love...I used to needle him on the gas consumption.  His reply - It's not the miles per gallon, it's the smiles per gallon.   ;D

Please update us as soon as Larry gets those fins to you - pics please!

DS
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
Thanks for the report Ninja.....

Like I said (and yes I'm envious) it's a cool board.  Weight?  Big deal.  What it cost you? None of anyone's business. 

I had a co-worker a few years ago that had an Olds 442 that was his love...I used to needle him on the gas consumption.  His reply - It's not the miles per gallon, it's the smiles per gallon.   ;D

Please update us as soon as Larry gets those fins to you - pics please!

DS

Sneak Peak my friend of Tuna's new fins.
Allison Race Fins

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 03:49:30 AM »
Oh those are COOL!!!!!

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
lakemichiganwingfoiler
Today at 05:37:01 AM