Author Topic: Damaged Intercostals?  (Read 9717 times)

NoogaSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Damaged Intercostals?
« on: October 08, 2013, 08:00:48 AM »
So, on Monday of last week did about an 8 mile paddle with a pretty decent average speed (maybe 5.75 mph or so).  Pushed it really hard for the last 1/2 or 3/4 mile.  Felt fine.  Then Monday night I felt like I had a broken rib or two on my right side.  Pain is towards my back, just above the half-way point between my waist and arm pit.

Paddled anyways on Tuesday last week.  It hurt, but was bearable.  Took Wednesday off, felt minor pain, but no big concerns.  Paddled Thursday, about the same as Tuesday.  Then on Friday it really started to hurt (as in I couldn't speak while I was paddling). 

Took the weekend off, but did work some on a remodeling project.  I was sore but not too bad.  Did not paddle yesterday (Monday) and actually felt pretty normal all day at work.  Got home last night and it hurt really bad.  I'm fine sitting still today (Tuesday), but it is excruciating if I cough.

Spoke with a couple of doctor friends.  They both suggested I've strained or torn my intercostal muscles.  They also indicated that there really isn't much of a treatment available other than ibuprofen.  I'm supposed to do a 31 mile race on the 26th (2.5 weeks away).  I really don't have time or money to go chase this down with a bunch of doctors, MRIs, and other tests that they would likely recommend.  I don't think it is a liver or gall bladder issue given that the pain is clearly more towards my back and the sudden onset.  I figure the muscular diagnosis is probably correct. 

Any suggestions or insight from fellow paddlers who may have experienced a similar situation?

water-ratt

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Damaged Intercostals?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:38:27 AM »
#1 I'm not a doctor.
One way I'd determine if it's muscular, skeletal or something else is to take a deep breath with your relaxed arm at your side and see if that elicits pain/discomfort. This would indicate the intercostals. Raise your arm over your head in a doorway and push against the wall of the door jam (above your head). Pain might indicate an issue with your lats, Serratus anterior or some other muscular problem.
The cough also points to the intercostals, but could also be a rib pulled out of place, this you (or someone else if you can't reach it) might be able to feel.
There is an old Groucho Marx bit where he's a doctor and the patient says "It hurts when I do this" and he moves his arm. Groucho says: "don't do that, that will be $50".
Good luck!

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:44:21 AM »
Today marks my 4th week of no paddling as a result of very similar circumstances.  The difference in my case is that I can isolate the moment of injury, a feeling of literally blowing out my side while putting too much juice on the paddle at the wrong moment on a wave.  My injury is more directly on the side, not near my back but otherwise a more painful version of the same thing.  After it happened I could not paddle, could barely get back on my board.  Involuntary sneezes and going to the bathroom was incredibly painful.  The first week I would wake up in the night from pain if I rolled the wrong way.

I went to the DR the day after the injury.  He said torn or strained oblique but mentioned the intercostals.  For the first two weeks I didn't do much other than drink beer more than usual.  Then I got my head right and focused on mellow bodyweight activities and yoga.  Last week I was able to comfortably prone surf for the first time.   I still cannot do a full pull-up, so I know I am not ready to paddle.  I would typically do several.

I hope you heal faster than I.  I missed 3 events as a result of this and -- more distressing -- some great downwind and surf opportunities.  But I chose not to push it because fall and winter surf season for me is a big deal.  I do intend to go out tonight for a mellow paddle to test things out.

Good luck!
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

NoogaSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »
One way I'd determine if it's muscular, skeletal or something else is to take a deep breath with your relaxed arm at your side and see if that elicits pain/discomfort. This would indicate the intercostals.

Some pain and discomfort, but not excruciating like when I cough.

Raise your arm over your head in a doorway and push against the wall of the door jam (above your head). Pain might indicate an issue with your lats, Serratus anterior or some other muscular problem.

This doesn't really cause any pain at all.

Thanks for the insight so far.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
Rest it. It's hard to ice that area unfortunately.
It won't heal unless you stop putting stress on it for awhile. If you keep paddling it'll aggravate it and you'll be out a lot longer. This is true with any soft tissue overuse injury
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 06:38:12 PM »
 Sorry to hear about the "pain in the ribs". I can somewhat relate, as about a year and a half ago I pulled/tore my lower Pec when paddling on one side, due to a strong crosswind going back to the beach after a downwind run. Took a long time to heal up and got me interested in boards with rudders!

It's hard to stay off a board when going out is your passion, though, but I have to agree with supsurf-tw

Rest it. It won't heal unless you stop putting stress on it for awhile. If you keep paddling it'll aggravate it and you'll be out a lot longer. This is true with any soft tissue overuse injury

I cracked my elbow skateboarding on the Friday before Labor Day weekend (5 weeks ago), and missed out on a Month of great weather and some perfect downwind conditions :( :( I finally went out about 10 days ago, then did a long paddle the weekend before last, but wish I woudln't have. see the above  quote^ ::)

Hope you the best of a recovery!
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf