Author Topic: A new board!  (Read 7859 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
A new board!
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:08:35 PM »
....well sorta kinda new.

I was pleasantly surprised today. My 9-0 is getting  a broken fin box fixed so I was paddling my 9-8 Starboard element.  It's actually my wife's board that we bought back in 2008. I tried it a few times back then but despite it being 30" wide its kind of tippy with me on it and I had others I preferred so it never saw many waves.
It's still a bit tippy for me. I was struggling a lot while waiting for a wave. The wind was blowing at 10-15 kts or so and 25 in the gusts so it was a little tough. I be watching a wave and as I was getting positioned the wave before it would lift the edge into the wind and I'd get dumped. I must have fallen 50 times, a third of them getting ready for a wave. The pleasant surprise was how much fun it was once on. Some big floaters and a couple of silly fun backside noserides. Most of my struggles were early in the session, it was feeling pretty good by the end though. I'm going to make a point of taking it out more often.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: A new board!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
It was a great session (except for the gusty wind) and Stoneaxe you def ripped a few nice waves on that board. More fun times ahead and just think of all that extra on the board - off the board - on the board - off the board spring "training" you got in this am, plus as a bonus the water was a nice cool 41 degrees !!

Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »
I'm going to get some bigger fins for it I think. I had the tail slip a couple of times on bottom turns and they should help a little with stability.

I was jealous of your wave count, especially into that wind. I watched a couple of your drops...everything but the tail out of the water with the wind.

Training...yeah...that's the ticket...that's what I was doing....training! Arms are dead tonight that's for sure. Paddling into that wind was a great workout.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:20:01 PM »
I'm a little envious of your trip report guys, I was tied up today but desperately wanted to get down to 1st to score some. Stoney, stick to that 30" width, I was the same way with my 29", but once I got it dialed in I was rewarded with a new found maneuverability and some kick ass rides.
  D dog- Nice job on those drop ins! I love that feeling when the wave is big enough to propel you through those offshore winds while nothing but the tail is in the water. It feels like zero gravity surfing. I grabbed a couple of rides like that last year and it was a blast.
   Season is here!  Will be out next weekend if anythings happening.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »
I'll definitely be surfing it more but I can't wait for my real new board and to get the 9er fixed and back in the water. The 9er changed everything, upped my skills and confidence for sure. I also have the C4 10-6 (28.5 wide). I've always waited until its glassy for that one but today may have change my mind. I've kind of spoiled myself only using the 9er. I definitely get a better workout and more therapy from the tippier boards. I've been having some slight balance problems again so I need to start pushing my limits.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:02:41 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »
I have a feeling this season is gonna be a one of the best yet (especially joining you guys at CCBC) !! Your positive stoke was definitely missed today Piece of 8 !!

I'll definitely be down for more surf next weekend and if none I'm gonna head down w my 14' Glide and start getting in some paddle time.

Let the fun begin !!!!!!!!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »
I need to start getting some distance in. I'm going to be ready this year in case last years conditions repeat. My daughter is dead set against getting in the boat again too. No wetsuit so she hasn't been on the water yet this year but she's been kicking her ass in the gym. Does an hour bootcamp and then climbs the eiffel tower on the stair master.
She''ll be looking for folks to train with on the water weekdays shortly.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:46:07 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 05:38:52 AM »
Lucky for me I have a great spot I can train where the water usually isn't that rough and winds are either downwind or head on so a perfect little variety, the bonus is that it's 5 min from home. When it warms up we should get a crew together and I'll take everyone on a three hour tour (for some reason Gilligans Island theme just popped into my head). I'm sure the sights would be a first for everyone as we can up close and personal with a battleship, sub, destroyer, and few other Navy ships (talk about a photo op). There was also a small pod of dolphins around last year and we are hoping they return.

I'm going to also travel up to Piece of 8 this spring since he's gonna be giving tours and SUP lessons in Plymouth (sounds like more great photo ops as I'd love to get one near the Rock and the Mayflower- ha ha I sound like a tourist).

I'll definitely head up your way as well Stoney to train on whatever waterways you can toss at us.

Surprising enough I'm not as sore today as I thought I'd be after fighting with that wind yesterday, guess that means I called it a day way too early !!!

Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 11:47:08 AM »
That sounds like a fun paddle.

I'm glad someone is finally doing tours in Plymouth. I've thought about it for awhile, even had it up on the website but the time just isn't there. I have some great pics near the rock and Mayflower. I paddled out to meet her when she came back from drydock a few years ago.
http://newenglandsup.wordpress.com/2009/03/30/mayflower-ii-returns/
We also did a lot of training runs out there. Some pics below of some of the crew.
Back in 2009 I was thinking about a Race to the Rock...Plymouth Beach to Plymouth Rock and back...party on the beach at my friend Sandy's. Never did it because the CCBC grew bigger that year but I still think it's a great spot.
http://newenglandsup.wordpress.com/2009/01/08/race-to-the-rockand-back/
Also waiting for the next swell to reach into Plymouth Bay...as everyone knows there is no surf in Plymouth...wink, wink... ;)
Bottom two pics are the exact same spot on very different days... ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:05:31 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
Some great pics and that looked like a brutal day at Plymouth Beach.

Living where I am, Newport and Narri are just so close it's time for me to venture outside my bubble and do some North shore, South Shore, and Cape surf excursions. I'm thinking a bunch of us should try to plan a Block Island day.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »
PDLSFR, I'm planning a run from Point Judith to Block Island once it warms up a bit. Park at the Port of Galilee where the ferry runs, paddle 13 miles to New Harbor on BI, have a few beers, refuel and then take a nice rewarding ferry ride back to our cars. Great training run for the CCBC and perfect for your Glide.  Have a few people already planning on it, just a matter of timing and conditions. Not sure that's the Block Island trip you meant but we could all tow a SUS board and kill two birds in one trip.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 02:48:45 PM »
PDLSFR, I'm planning a run from Point Judith to Block Island once it warms up a bit. Park at the Port of Galilee where the ferry runs, paddle 13 miles to New Harbor on BI, have a few beers, refuel and then take a nice rewarding ferry ride back to our cars. Great training run for the CCBC and perfect for your Glide.  Have a few people already planning on it, just a matter of timing and conditions. Not sure that's the Block Island trip you meant but we could all tow a SUS board and kill two birds in one trip.

Count me in
Bob

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 03:21:07 PM »
Kaya I'm also down for that adventure. I'll definitely need to get in much more board time before then but it's another great goal toward being ready for the CCBC (Plus it'll be one of those things I can say I always wanted to do that).

I'll bet we could a good size crew together for that run and make it an event !!!!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »
All right, we all need to start getting together. I did a 7 mile downwinder today on the Sakonnet. Would have loved company but it was unplanned. Loads of fun with 15 to 25 knots of wind blowing straight up the channel. I am definately in on the Block Island trip.
Bunch of old shit

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 05:44:19 PM »
Wow, Just checked out this thread again and stoke is in the air. Its always tough logistically to get together for flat as opposed to the surf but a few things on my to do list: PDLSFRs tour, the Block Island run, and Kayadogg"s Zoner sticker design finally coming to fruition before the summer and its eventual export out West in September.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin