Author Topic: High Aspect starboard paddle  (Read 20870 times)

Wood_Ogre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: High Aspect starboard paddle
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »
SPEED ! On a standup paddle board !  :o

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 09:43:30 PM »
Magenta...I have to apologize. Reading my own posts and I sound like a dick. I didn't mean it to sound like I was being critical of you. I like to keep my money in my wallet as much as anyone. Not knowing the backstory obviously makes a difference. I remembered how nasty that thread got and I talked to shapeshifter a bit about it. He's as genuine a guy as you could imagine and what went on was pretty bad. I think when we know of stuff like this we need to let others know the kind of operations they are supporting.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 11:35:36 PM »
I am 5'7" 160# and the Maliko with the 100% shaft had too much grab at the beginning of the stroke. The Wiki ups my cadence slightly but no lack of power. Up wind I would go smaller. I paddle around Ross Island and when its windy it would be nice to have 2 paddles. Small for quicker up wind stroke and larger for down wind power and speed. I think that the paddle shaft would be shorter for up wind as well.

The defining characteristic of the Ke Nalu blade is early catch. It's why the blade pulls down into the water without much splash. that can be rough on your back. For me the cure is an xTuf(S) shaft, but it might not work for everyone. One completely legitimate but not obvious thing to try is to go UP to the Molokai. It's a very efficient blade and you pretty much can't push it hard, so you can get a lot of speed out of it without pulling hard. Definitely with a xtuf shaft though.

I have to admit you can chase this stuff around in circles. Right now I'm using a Molokai on an xTuf(S) shaft for surfing and a Maliko on a 100 flex for racing and downwind. All this after a summer using Wikis for everything. The high cadence was just killing me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 10:43:16 AM »
The biggest problem is that we don't have easy  access  in Greece in paddle like QP, KENALU or KIALOA.
The shipping cost  and the tax makes the paddle too expensive all most 650 usd or more.

same in Sweden

Talk to Jonas at http://paddelbrador.se/om_oss He will soon have a bunch of Ke Nalus in Sweden :)

Henrik F
crosswater.se

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
The biggest problem is that we don't have easy  access  in Greece in paddle like QP, KENALU or KIALOA.
The shipping cost  and the tax makes the paddle too expensive all most 650 usd or more.

same in Sweden

Well TW, if you want a Ke Nalu there on the way. There's now a distributor in Sweden. They should be available very soon.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »

same in Sweden

Thanks Henrik...I read these threads like a book (start from page one). I need to start reading ahead to keep myself from repeating info. (I'm still a rookie at this  :P)

Talk to Jonas at http://paddelbrador.se/om_oss He will soon have a bunch of Ke Nalus in Sweden :)

Henrik F

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 03:05:39 PM »

same in Sweden

No problem :)

Henrik F

Thanks Henrik...I read these threads like a book (start from page one). I need to start reading ahead to keep myself from repeating info. (I'm still a rookie at this  :P)

Henrik F
crosswater.se

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
I wasn't offended at all by your posts, so no need to apologize. :-) I dont know the full story but briefly read stuff about trisects a few years ago and decided against getting one because I read they were crappy. Thank gawd for the internet!

Magenta...I have to apologize. Reading my own posts and I sound like a dick. I didn't mean it to sound like I was being critical of you. I like to keep my money in my wallet as much as anyone. Not knowing the backstory obviously makes a difference. I remembered how nasty that thread got and I talked to shapeshifter a bit about it. He's as genuine a guy as you could imagine and what went on was pretty bad. I think when we know of stuff like this we need to let others know the kind of operations they are supporting.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 03:20:17 PM »
I assume the round carbon shaft has more flex. I am looking for a paddle to use paddling large distances about 20-30 km and I think the high aspect medium size can be the right choice. I weigh 82 kg (180 lbs). A bit flex on the shaft would be nice to have.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2014, 12:59:06 AM »
The times.. they are a changin'..  ;D

My first carbon paddle was the Kialoa Nalu.. and my latest and most favourite paddle ever is the new Kialoa Hulu Small.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2014, 01:50:42 AM »
I've scanned through this thread and nobody has mentioned Zaveral.. I have a ZRE Powersurge and it is without doubt the nicest paddle I've ever tried. The others don't even come close. Werner and QB.. Never tried the Kialoa.

For me its the weight and stiffness of the ZRE that make it superior. Mine comes in at 13oz!!
Its 'medium cadence' and I would say its neither high or low aspect.

I m a big fan of Werner paddles and have a Nantahala canoe paddle and a Coryvrecken yak paddle but for SUP my Werner paddle stays at home.. (because is has snapped in half mid blade)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
DJ, that Kialoa looks nice. Unfortunately Kialoa brand is almost non existent in Spain. I am one of the few owners of it in this country. The distributor is a disaster. But in France, as far as I heard, the brand is strong.

Back to Starboard. Anybody has experience with these new 2014 model High aspect models. Anybody tested the oval and round shafts? Any flex difference? Also, any feedback on medium and large sizes?

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
I've scanned through this thread and nobody has mentioned Zaveral.. I have a ZRE Powersurge and it is without doubt the nicest paddle I've ever tried. The others don't even come close. Werner and QB.. Never tried the Kialoa.

For me its the weight and stiffness of the ZRE that make it superior. Mine comes in at 13oz!!
Its 'medium cadence' and I would say its neither high or low aspect.

100% agree on the Zav.  Everything about the PowerSurge is top notch.  I love mine for distance flat water.  Give Zaveral credit for muted humbleness.. Minimal hype, little advertising, and a superb product. 
It's by far the lightest, stiffest paddle I own... It just works. Period. 
As much as I like my KeNalu Molokai - XTuff-S for down winding, it's always the Zaveral that I grab when I'm heading out for a long paddle. 

DS
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2014, 09:19:16 AM »
So for those of you who have who have high aspect paddles, do you cut them to the same length as a standard teardrop?

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »
So for those of you who have who have high aspect paddles, do you cut them to the same length as a standard teardrop?
Back to Starboard. Anybody has experience with these new 2014 model High aspect models. Anybody tested the oval and round shafts? Any flex difference? Also, any feedback on medium and large sizes?
I had started a thread about the new sizing on the 2014 High Aspect paddles here...http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=23275.0
I'm too very interested in this paddle and looking for the same feedback that's quoted above. Looking close at SB's website I strongly believe that there's a mistake in the sizing conversion on the new High Aspect paddles. See my thread for details.
What makes me believed there's a mistake is the blade measurements changed on the Enduro paddles for 2014 as well. If you look a the conversion chart, for example, the 2013 Enduro 525 is equal to the 2014 Enduro in size Large. The blade measurements changed a bit, but the surface area stayed the same at 89 sq in. If the new Enduro sizing is matched equally (or nearly =) by surface area to the 2013 models, then why isn't the High Aspect? The 2013 HA 500 should be equal to the 2014 Large size, not the Medium. Does anyone have a good answer to this?
Note: This sizing variance doesn't effect me since I need the size Medium for sure, but for others needing something bigger, I could see someone getting the Medium size when they really needed the 90+ sq in paddle.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:47:10 PM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf