Author Topic: The Longboard SUP discussion thread  (Read 23393 times)

supthecreek

The Longboard SUP discussion thread
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »
While boards get shorter everyday, I have always held a love for longboards as well as shorties

I have mentioned a few times that I really want to get a good longboard SUP for small days.
I see that more than a few Zoners are of like mind...

So.... what are your Ideas? Lets redesign a longboard style SUP here!

I'll start
1st... I like to work when I ride a longboard, meaning, I like that I have to move from place to place on the board to make it turn... I don't want to surf "fixed stance"  I like the classic stylized moves required.
I like to cross step all over the board, switching feet from rail to rail;D

Length - 10' range...
width - 32" for good glide & stability in less than perfect conditions.
Thickness - Thin... thin as I can get it... to keep weight down, performance up
I am open to suggestions on rocker... I'd like to see some idaas
light concave nose for long nose rides... fading to double concaves past the center fin
wide nose
good brewer performance rails, fairly hard and very thin in the tail... hard and thin in the nose
unsure, but I do like chine's in the rail as well
rounded diamond tail around 7" ???
I like a decent amount of tail rocker
I want the tail to stay engaged during long nose rides, so I figure some kind of wing or wings to narrow the tail. Ideas?
A big center fin for thrust and sidebites canted out for hold on hard turns.

I want it light and strong, with a GOOD handle and full board diamond plate deck pad with strong stomp pad.
Maybe a thin pad on the front to keep weight down and traction good.

I see some decent longboard styles out there from the early SUP days, but would like to see some modernization of design. they are all 30" wide or less... sorry youngun's... but I am uncomfortable on 30"... 32" seems to be my number.
My huge 11'2 x 36" Avanti taught me a LOT about the value that a big board brings to the water.... and how very surfable it was.

Your turn...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Longboard SUP discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:11:23 PM »
I'm 145, and ride a Coreban Fusion Pure. Monster Paint on the front, 9'0" x 29 1/2". Nearly the perfect board for what you describe, at least to me. Scaled down slightly from what you describe but a great board as several on this board can attest.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:12:56 PM »
If they'd give it a little width, the Pearson Laird would be exactly that board.

waterman60

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 09:20:13 PM »
Long clean lines with thinned out rails, low rocker line = glide.  Single fin for the old style of long boarding = fun on the smaller days.  Wide nose for riddin the tip as we used to call it.   I have a 11' x 30" x 4 1/8" wide with a squash tail        (rounded square)
tail made by Bill Foote.  Lots of fun to get in the wave early and surf off the back foot 60 & 70's style.   Using a 9 to 10" dolphin fin works well.  Amundson 10' 6" work well, they ride like a classic long board.  Wide tail & nose = stability
One day I tried it with just the side bites (Wardog 400)  in small mushy glassing lefts, it worked well.   Lots of options with boards this big if one learns to us the long rail line.   Experimenting with different fin configurations can be lots of fun and improve one's skill in the surf.  For myself wider is better on most days.
Nothing like a good cross step to the nose and back while trimming across a section.  

Enjoy the Glide !

Enjoy the ride !    

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 09:39:46 PM »
I like 'em.

I have some shorter stuff on order (9'6" Footie (I think it's 9'6" -- mebbe 9'8" or sumpthin) and an 8'8" Simsup, but I too like to wander to and fro, and I like a tail that I'm not so likely to step off. My goto board right now is my 10'10" Foote, I think it's 28 or 29 wide, stable, fun, I can run up to the nose (or at least as far as the logo) and back to the tail several times on one wave. Lots of cross stepping and shuffling.  It's a duplicate of my Gecko board (also Foote) with the same dimensions but with a squash tail. I loved that Gecko, but it weighs about 50 pounds now. I used to wonder why I stepped off the back of the yellow board so often when I was going left until I looked at them side by side--"oh--square tail vs. pin tail, what a dummy".

I know everyone has a favorite shaper, but if you want a longer surfboard that handles everything, it's hard to beat a Foote. I go way down on the center fin to get it loose, or bigger when I'm feeling clumsy or I think I'd like to get further to the nose, which is what I've been trying to do lately. I always run side bites on it, and found I can surf it with NO center fin (it fell out) and have a lot of slip-and-slide fun.

Easy on my geezer balance. Definitely a "move your back foot to the rail" design, but I do that anyway.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 04:21:11 AM »
Gotta agree with Surfcowboy, that sounds a lot like a Pearson Laird.
Bunch of old shit

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:30:40 AM »
problem for me with the Pearson Laird... and most current good longboard shapes is the width.
I can paddle a 30" wide board, but not comfortably.
I need to find a way to achieve performance while maintaining some width.
But who knows... maybe "primal creek" will be ok with a narrower board soon... but I doubt it :-\

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 04:39:03 AM »
I'm 205# and love my 11x31 psh.  Pieces of 8 has one up your way,
maybe you can give it a try.  The board is bigger than the minimum
possible for me, but that only increases the longboard feel.  That said,
due to a couple of major repairs, the board is too heavy.  Not to surf,
when out in the big stuff I like the weight, just to carry.  I'm going to
have the board copied and reduce the thickness a bit.  The rest of it
I wouldn't change.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 04:41:08 AM »
Creek, I have a 31" wide custom Pearson Laird in the shop with your name all over it :D
http://soposup.com/store/pearson-arrow-11-laird

Or you could call Bob and have him make you one to whatever dims you want.  I order 4-5 boards from him every year in a random mix of sizes.

Raf
owner of Soposup
www.soposup.com

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 05:04:15 AM »
  Ah, a thread after my own heart.  Thanks for starting it, Creekie!  Longboard SUPing has been on my mind since the beginning, and even after the Great Shortboard Revolution pushed longboards to the back of the line, I knew it would only be a few years before nostalgia brought em back. 
  Like you, I think 10'x32" would be my sweet spot -- maybe not in a tipsup, which is one way of going, but in a more conventional shape, yes.  Thinned out 50-50 rails or the like, add that to the list.
  I actually have a board that conforms to most of the list -- it's a custom Angulo -- but it's a little too narrow for my declining balance skills.
  Also, about the nose -- I really don't like the super fat ones, like the one on the Starboard noserider.  For me, they tend to get hung up on the wave too easily.  And SUP noses are fat to begin with.  I just watched Wingnut noseride the heck out of his 11' Surftech board and it has a very pulled in nose.  Of course, he could noseride a needle but still ...
  Thanks again for the thread!

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 06:24:57 AM »
raf...
I answered your PM and called... where are you?
I have the day off
You have little longboard waves and offshore winds

The 10'6 x 31 is interesting

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 06:40:18 AM »
Hey Linter... it will be great to have you back in Linterland... hopefully, it will warm up by the time you arrive. I saw all your pre-dawn buddies exiting the water the other day, when I arrived about 7:15am.

The longboard search is on... let the glides begin!

Meanwhile... I'm looking short SimSUP at the same time ;D

so much fun!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 07:18:17 AM »
Sup,

You may be able to go narrower and thinner than you think.  What have you been riding?  The relatively flat rocker tip to tail sets a lot more board on the water and as long as the bottom stays fairly flat rail to rail under the paddling area, you may find that riding a slimmed down trimmed down model is very possible.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:26:36 AM by Admin »

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 08:19:14 AM »
sorry, I was surfing (duh).  here now! ...but only until 1pm today.  Kid has some sickness and I got duty at 1pm :(

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Longboard SUP discussion thread
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »
What about Stewart for a longboard style SUP?  At first i didn't think they made SUPs but then i ran across this Craigslist ad so i guess they do customs...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/3703166523.html

FYI I'm not affiliated with the person  selling the board (or Stewart for that matter) - I'm just a CL addict...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin