Author Topic: New Asymetrical  (Read 8569 times)

supthecreek

Re: New Asymetrical
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »
raf... pretty funny to see your wedding ring directly under a poster of a girl in a thong bathingsuit ;)

and all I can say is.... go backside... you are missing out

Big boards in particular (longboards, SUP's) like the drive a heel can produce.
The way your foot bends easily forward is great for trim control going backside.... you can micro manage slip and trim with the toes pointing towards shore.

Do this to get a feel for it:
sit in a chair
place your hands on your knees, resting on the heel of you hand with your fingers hanging off the edge.
Now... press your fingertips down... and imagine that they are controlling your weight toward the outside rail... up - down - up.... super easy. You have the same control with your toes pointing to the shoreside rail. Very easy to release down the face, and when you turn back up the face, your heels provide a superior drive, because they don't give at all.... makes for a very positive turn.
I am much better backside, at long controlled noserides because of the way the foot is free to flex up and down.... and I really like the drive of a backside turn.

If you reverse the thought... try standing frontside and doing the opposite... your heels just don't release down the face as easily... it requires you to drop your outside shoulder and rotate your whole body to achieve the same release.

Just a thought... and a blatant hijack... ;D
 back to your regularly scheduled Asym conversation. I can't wait to see pics and hear your review.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »
I agree. The power generated from your heels in a backside turn is awesome - which is why I'm thinking an asy tail should make a heck of a lot of sense for sup surfing.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 01:09:15 PM »
Creek,
Alana had to live downstairs in the shaping room because she was a little too cheeky for the general public.  We strive to maintain a neutral, family friendly atmosphere.  It seemed a shame to throw her out, and even though she's not really my type, she found a place on the wall.  Adds a bit of color.  And to be honest, her charms have grown on me :P

As for going backside, the rights at my local break are often superior to the lefts...hollower and more power, so I do go right a fair amount.  I know what you mean about backside drive.  I sometimes feel like I can sit in the pocket better on my backside than frontside, but that may be because I'm happier to just SIT in the pocket rather than snaking up and down and all over going frontside.  I've talked to other people and they also notice that they seem to go "faster" backside.  In any case, I don't think I've really compromised backside performance on this shape.

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
raf... I know you got it wired... I was just adding that for whoever reads the post, because I know a lot of guys that don't explore the backhand enough.... It just didn't come across properly. Thanks for not being offended :-\

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »
Hey gentlemen,

Got  to demo this for a meager session yesterday.

Dave from Infinity calls it version 4 of their Phoenix line. I've ridden version 2 as well.

About 10 liters too small for me but I was able to get a bakers dozen waves on it to kinda figure it out.

The assym tail is kinda invisible while surfing, I think that's kinda the point, it doesn't "do" anything except not get in the way while on the backside rail.

Once you throw this thing hard onto the rail and get on the tail, it loves to try and come around. Oh the fun!

I believe the dims are 7'2 (7'8" where the assym tail ends) x 4.1/8 thick x 30.5" wide. 103L (My smallest board is 113L)

IMG_5515 by ewxlt, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:44:19 PM by sup_surf_giant »
Taller than most, shorter than others.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 09:49:20 AM »
I might demo that board too! I called Infinity last Friday specifically to ask about that board and spoke to Brent. He told me it was 7-6 on the frontside rail. How much do you weigh and did they charge you $40 to demo it?

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: New Asymetrical
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »
Basic question - do you want the short length on your front side or back side?

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
Short side is for backside. This allows you to bring the tail around a lot easier when doing cutbacks or any other backside turn because you are essentially riding a much shorter board going heelside. Even the bottom contours are a little different on each side according to Infinities website and that combined with two different outlines and tails makes it two boards in one. Way cool. I've owned asy sailboards and surfboards and they totally work but you are limited when you sell them because a goofy foot won't want an asy shaped for a regular foot and most humans can't get past how weird they look, hence the reason we'll never mass produced asy's. I can handle weirdness cuz I know they work so I'm pretty sure my next board will be an asy.  :o

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 02:46:06 PM »
I might demo that board too! I called Infinity last Friday specifically to ask about that board and spoke to Brent. He told me it was 7-6 on the frontside rail. How much do you weigh and did they charge you $40 to demo it?

I weigh about 225-230lbs. Can't remember exactly what they charged but I felt it fair.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
Finally glassed, finned and padded out.  And obviously 10 straight days of swell have mysteriously evaporated.  Will post a report as soon as I get it wet.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »
sick, any pic of the bottom side?
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »
Nice dude! Yes it would be nice to see more photos please. Is that your own label?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:56:27 AM by magentawave »

Rail 2 rail

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »
Very nice.  Will it be for sale, or is it a personal board?

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  Couple pics of the bottom.  I don't know what you mean by my "own label".  I shaped it and had someone else glass it.  Thats the shop logo under the hood.  I think this is my 8th shape.  I made my 1st board just over a year ago.  Its a fun process, but the more you make, the faster you go through them.  I rode my last couple only a few times before I got the itch to make a new one.  I do still ride my 1st one regularly.  Its the only one I absolutely nailed. 

Its not for sale, but anyone is welcome to drive on up and demo any of the half dozen "experiments" I have laying around.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »
I think you nailed it with the outline! I saw the sticker/logo on the deck which is why I asked if it was your own label.

I've been kicking around the idea of making my own board for the first time in many years (and probably an asy) and have a few questions when you have the time please...

1) What kind of foam did you use? 1.5 pound?

2) Did you use a power planer with the cutting blade that comes with it or did you use one of those abrasive blades?

3) If you don't mind telling us...  How much did it cost you to shape and then how much was the glassing? Total out of pocket for board?

Thanks

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 08:14:26 AM
post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
lakemichiganwingfoiler
Today at 05:37:01 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27