Author Topic: Random  (Read 40785 times)

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Random
« on: March 19, 2013, 01:48:11 PM »
Random thread is random.

Hundreds of views, very few posts.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:09:59 PM by Cardiff Sweeper »

excav8ter sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: -------
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 02:02:04 PM »
I worked today. It was 4 degrees with the wind chill. Snowing sideways in the 25+ wind. Made for a cold day outside.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Don't believe the...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:03:07 PM »

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:11:19 PM by Cardiff Sweeper »

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Random
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
Doesn't quite sit right.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »
2nd day back at work after 4 weeks of paternity leave with a newborn and a 2 year old; feels good to finally relax!

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:29:32 PM »

I once had a dog.  Now I don't.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »
I once had a cow, he got really really fat and then he was taken away from me.

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 06:39:50 PM »
budummm..it's all relative.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
i consider myself the ambassador of both the random and share the stoke threads.

Randomness and stoke sharing are not mutually exclusive

but it helps...

carry on....
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »
Saved a dog yesterday.

While paddling in and a good 2-3 hundred meters (yards) from shore I look across and see a dog swimming out to sea.. It was barking and I thought maybe it's a freakish swimming dog that loves to chase seagulls or schools of fish.. or maybe it's the dog that I heard about last week that loves to bite jelly fish.. I paddled across to it thinking I'd re direct it back towards shore.. I tried but it insisted on heading out to sea.. Very weird.. I heading in because I would be late for work if I didn't head in now.. Half way in I see what looks like a person swimming .. He was also way-way out from the shore.. I thought that's weird also and paddled in his direction.. As I got closer I could hear him yelling to me and could see he was struggling to keep swimming.. I paddled fast towards him and I said is that your dog way out there? .. He said yes.. I'm trying to get him to come back.. He must be confused and be looking for me and he cant hear very well.. He held my board for a while and said he can't swim anymore and could I go out and try and save his dog.. I said sure.. Will you be ok to get back in.. He said yes I think so and he headed off towards shore.. He said if you can save my dog you're a legend.. I smiled and headed off towards his dog that almost seemed like on the horizon now and still heading out.. Oh well I'm going to be late or work now.. I paddled as hard as I could into a light 10 knot headwind untill I got to his dog.. I got on the other side trying to shoo him the other way but he would just paddle around in a circle and keep heading out.. It was a big dog.. A very big dog.. and still braking and looking pretty angry and also very tired.. I came along side and grabbed his collar and tried to drag it into my 12'6" Glide.. Claws scratching and what looked like foamy sliver I'm thinking I'm going to get bit here.. I think the dog thought my paddle was a big stick.. I got him on board and the dog almost tipped us both off.. Then the board tipped to 90 deg and I hung on as the dog went back into the water.. I paddled over and tried again.. This time he was almost back on and because I was pulling on his collar his collar came off in my hand and the dog went back into the water.. Bugger.. I was now a long way out.. I saw a big boat nearby a waved it over.. They came alongside and I explaind what was happening.. They must have been dog lovers because they insisted on helping.. I herded the dog to the back of their boat and we dragged it out of the water and onto the platform on the rear of the boat.. It took a while but we did it.. I asked if they could head in onwards shore and follow me.. They said sure.. We got back to shore and the owner had only just made it back himself and didn't look well after all his swimming.. I handed him his dog collar and said that we had got him.. and was on the back of the boat behind me.. To say he was happy was an understatement.. A lady walked over and said she had been watching and had called the Police.. I had to leave for work as the guy was getting his dog off the back of the boat.. I looked back and saw that he had the collar back on as he pulled his dog off he back of the boat.. Walking to my car with my board an aulance came past with lights flashing.. I waved them down and explaind what had happened and that all was ok now.. They said to me.. Good job .. I drove off and could see the dog owner and dog walking up the beach together.

DJ
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:08:15 PM by DavidJohn »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »
Well, that is a very Random happening. 
And a really cool story.  You saved a dog's life, and made one man very happy doing so.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »
Saved a dog yesterday.

While paddling in and a good 2-3 hundred meters (yards) from shore I look across and see a dog swimming out to sea.. It was barking and I thought maybe it's a freakish swimming dog that loves to chase seagulls or schools of fish.. or maybe it's the dog that I heard about last week that loves to bite jelly fish.. I paddled across to it thinking I'd re direct it back towards shore.. I tried but it insisted on heading out to sea.. Very weird.. I heading in because I would be late for work if I didn't head in now.. Half way in I see what looks like a person swimming .. He was also way-way out from the shore.. I thought that's weird also and paddled in his direction.. As I got closer I could hear him yelling to me and could see he was struggling to keep swimming.. I paddled fast towards him and I said is that your dog way out there? .. He said yes.. I'm trying to get him to come back.. He must be confused and be looking for me and he cant hear very well.. He held my board for a while and said he can't swim anymore and could I go out and try and save his dog.. I said sure.. Will you be ok to get back in.. He said yes I think so and he headed off towards shore.. He said if you can save my dog you're a legend.. I smiled and headed off towards his dog that almost seemed like on the horizon now and still heading out.. Oh well I'm going to be late or work now.. I paddled as hard as I could into a light 10 knot headwind untill I got to his dog.. I got on the other side trying to shoo him the other way but he would just paddle around in a circle and keep heading out.. It was a big dog.. A very big dog.. and still braking and looking pretty angry and also very tired.. I came along side and grabbed his collar and tried to drag it into my 12'6" Glide.. Claws scratching and what looked like foamy sliver I'm thinking I'm going to get bit here.. I think the dog thought my paddle was a big stick.. I got him on board and the dog almost tipped us both off.. Then the board tipped to 90 deg and I hung on as the dog went back into the water.. I paddled over and tried again.. This time he was almost back on and because I was pulling on his collar his collar came off in my hand and the dog went back into the water.. Bugger.. I was now a long way out.. I saw a big boat nearby a waved it over.. They came alongside and I explaind what was happening.. They must have been dog lovers because they insisted on helping.. I herded the dog to the back of their boat and we dragged it out of the water and onto the platform on the rear of the boat.. It took a while but we did it.. I asked if they could head in onwards shore and follow me.. They said sure.. We got back to shore and the owner had only just made it back himself and didn't look well after all his swimming.. I handed him his dog collar and said that we had got him.. and was on the back of the boat behind me.. To say he was happy was an understatement.. A lady walked over and said she had been watching and had called the Police.. I had to leave for work as the guy was getting his dog off the back of the boat.. I looked back and saw that he had the collar back on as he pulled his dog off he back of the boat.. Walking to my car with my board an aulance came past with lights flashing.. I waved them down and explaind what had happened and that all was ok now.. They said to me.. Good job .. I drove off and could see the dog owner and dog walking up the beach together.

DJ
Awesome!-my faith in the Random thread has henceforth been restored!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
DJ, great job. You're out there on the water so much that you're bound to run into all sorts of random things - and get it on video usually. Thanks for the random stoke.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »
"Does anybody remember laughter?"

Or what day this happened?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 07:33:05 PM »
Saved a dog yesterday.

DJ
What about your job you were late for?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?