Author Topic: Costco SUP's ride again.  (Read 55966 times)

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Costco SUP's ride again.
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:01:18 AM »
Stopping at my local Costco for their awesome raspberries the other day, spotted this Wavestorm SUP.

It's 9'6", no idea on the width or thick. Board, paddle and leash, $399.

Costco is where I bought my first SUP and what got me hooked on the sport, 5 boards later I'm still addicted. My 10'6" Wavestorm was a great board to learn on and awesome for other beginners. You couldn't hurt it and it couldn't hurt you.

Have to say, this looks like it would be a fun board to play with. Has tie downs on the nose and an interesting looking, textured and padded deck.

I know these things tick off some of the boarding purists but I think anything that gets someone standing on water, is a good thing. It doesn't take long to realize you want better equipment, once you get hooked.

Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

JerseySUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Costco SUP's ride again.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »
I couldn't agree more. I too started out with a Costco board (Sevylor Samoa inflatable). At the time I didn't know the first thing about stand up paddling, nor did I have the money to invest in a name-brand board. The Sevylor was a great entry-level board and really allowed me to focus on technique and develop in the sport. I still have it as a spare board in case a friend wants to try it out.  Plus, the best part is that once you eventually upgrade to a "real" board, you have a much better appreciation for how truly awesome your new board is! Sort of like the day you upgrade from a fiberglass to an all carbon paddle.  :o ;D

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:52:45 PM »
The things I find interesting here is that 1) there is enough margin in that board and paddle at the $350 price point for Costco to give it floor space and 2) the size, 9'6" is a lot less than the 11' and 12' sizes that were commonly accepted 2-3 years ago.

Interesting times indeed.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
I'd get one and go for some river runs and then sell it.  Not sure if there are any good rivers to go down but get a big group of guys to do a river run would be pretty fun.

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
The things I find interesting here is that 1) there is enough margin in that board and paddle at the $350 price point for Costco to give it floor space and 2) the size, 9'6" is a lot less than the 11' and 12' sizes that were commonly accepted 2-3 years ago.

Interesting times indeed.

I'd bet the fact that is is "only" 9'6" as opposed to 10'+, gets a lot of people to look twice, and that is a big factor in Costco being willing to give it that floor space.

More people will purchase something that costs $9.99 than they would $10.01. I imagine something along those lines in in play here as well.
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:33:47 PM »
Cheaper to build and ship short wide than long and narrow, and easier to stand on too. No glide,  but that's not what they're selling.

The price is amazing. Typical retail with distributor and dealer markup is 3 to 4X so $400 means the manufacturer needs to turn the thing out for $100. The Costco model is different, but it's still 2.5 to 3X so it's maybe $150 for board, paddle and leash. Boxed and delivered. With warranty support

Yikes.

I do know that Cosco used to lose money on books, CDs and DVDs because they brought in customers. I don't know their criteria for floor space. It can't be much like standard big box retail.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 02:54:33 PM »
My biggest complaint about a foam board is the traction sucks for surfing. You can't really wax them, and a deck pads won't stick.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 05:02:28 PM »
We live on the Delta in Northern California and paddle flat water a lot, along with surf trips to Santa Cruz, San Elijo, and Maui.  We see a lot of them on the docks and people paddling them around the neighborhood.  They get people out paddling, and made it easy to sell our first epoxy boards, an 11' and 12'.
After selling those, we only had 3 stand ups, so we bought a Costco Foam SUP last summer just to have one around for people to use.  We can take another couple out paddling with us.  If it gets hurt, a little silicon patches it up. We also take it camping a Trinity Lake. An epoxy board would not get through the week up there without a ding.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 05:43:51 AM »
As a consumer that spends money sparingly, I always factor in the resell value/depreciation into the cost of an item.  I like to buy used items so that the original buyer eats the depreciation.  I paddle two different second hand SUPs.  The cost to me for both put together is less than the full price of the nicest of the two boards. If I were to resell both boards, I'd be out roughly $400 - 600.  My true cost to own two boards over 3 years is far less than the cost of one Pelican or NPS new board.  

Even if the Costco board was given away by the buyer, he/she is still only out the depreciation of a new full priced high end board.  I'm currently shopping for a new retail board.  If I pay $1,600 for it and need to sell it, I will be out at least $600, and it may be hard to find a buyer only asking $1000.  

This is a tough economy to be selling high end products at full retail prices.  Unless board makers can justify that their high quality ep-whatever-foam and high quality epoxy is truly better than the $800 Costco SUP, then they are going to get their ass handed to them and the SUP bubble is about to pop.  The race to the bottom has started.  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:00:16 AM by PaddleAnything »

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 05:49:29 AM »
Ok technically that board hasn't been given any "floor" space...  ;)

I guess if the deckpad ever gets chewed up, it can just be replaced w/ the "eggcrate" foam sold in the bedding aisle.  Pure genius, that Costco...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:11:34 AM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 05:54:41 AM »
I have no clue why but I would seriously consider the board but wouldn't give the kayak there a second thought.

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 06:09:53 AM »
I have no clue why but I would seriously consider the board but wouldn't give the kayak there a second thought.

I suspect the kayak cost more to buy and make than the SUP. 

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 06:50:39 AM »
The idea of lower priced / entry level product in Costco (and big box stores) to get people "into" the sport is a great one - and I have no issues with it. The more people paddling the better.

The only "issue" I have is when manufacturers of higher end product that generally needs to be sold in a store that has educated staff and supports the sport - decides to open up distribution and sell to the big boxes of the world.

Just my 2 cents.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 07:15:07 AM »
The idea of lower priced / entry level product in Costco (and big box stores) to get people "into" the sport is a great one - and I have no issues with it. The more people paddling the better.

The only "issue" I have is when manufacturers of higher end product that generally needs to be sold in a store that has educated staff and supports the sport - decides to open up distribution and sell to the big boxes of the world.

Just my 2 cents.

I  just checked Amazon and they are now selling boards by Naish, Surftech, Bic and the industry/craigslist favorite Tower.  It is always the small business full service retailer that gets screwed by these companies.  When you have to do year end close out pricing to move inventory, not only are your buyers screwed with depressed resell values, it will cost you more than 2 cents.  If those companies are not loyal to the retailers then there is little reason for a buyer to be loyal to them. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 08:19:49 AM »
I'm with Easy. Boards like this at Costco...fine....no question they get people into it. Perfect board for someone to throw on their boat or have around for visitors or for the kids or to bang around without worry. But when you hear of the "knowledgable" salespeople from the big box sporting goods stores being sent to SUP 101 class so they can go back and sell what they "know" about higher end gear they now carry I find it pretty sleazy. The big manufacturers owe their success to all the shops out there that embraced and pushed the sport. To forsake them for the big box stores now as the sport explodes... :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
lakemichiganwingfoiler
Today at 10:30:44 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 09:09:49 AM
Hdip