Author Topic: How much wind can you paddle upwind into?  (Read 11411 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How much wind can you paddle upwind into?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 07:18:47 PM »
10mph is about where whitecaps start and that, I think, would be my max WS paddling straight into the wind  for two miles as Argosi originally posted.  20, no freaking way.  I can't even keep her pointed into the wind for more than a few seconds at that speed.

And talk about a stoke killer.  A few days of that and you'd want to start golfing... with a cart.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
You're making me feel like a masochist Bill, the Duke of DW doesn't to go upwind.... ;) Yeah two miles is a bit much but I love paddling against heavy winds. I get a song in my head that I can match to the chop frequency and then use the bumps like moguls, all about the timing and once you get a rythym going you can get into almost a trance state, sometimes I've come out of it and been shocked at hpw far out I am.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »
You're making me feel like a masochist Bill, the Duke of DW doesn't to go upwind.... ;) Yeah two miles is a bit much but I love paddling against heavy winds. I get a song in my head that I can match to the chop frequency and then use the bumps like moguls, all about the timing and once you get a rythym going you can get into almost a trance state, sometimes I've come out of it and been shocked at hpw far out I am.

It would help to be as strong as you are, but yeah, I know about that trance state. 

Looks like you had a great event... again.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 08:50:08 PM »
And talk about a stoke killer.  A few days of that and you'd want to start golfing... with a cart.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,22988.msg231019.html#msg231019

I can't get no song in my head to match the chop but I can get something going on and end up in a trance like state going upwind for sure. I also get shocked how much fun I have made for myself when I turn around when I decide I don't like my trance no more. 10-20 minutes up, 3-5 down it seems. I will also only decide I want to go into an upwind trance if I have drove a ways and am blown out and either I do that or don't go or am outright "caught" in it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:02:45 PM by lucabrasi »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »
Disturbed -Down with the Sickness is usually a good one..... ;) :o
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 02:02:54 PM »
Went for a surf at Radio Beach on my 10' King's Crocodile this am. Boom North winds 15-20. Not surfable.

Ha let's go DW to Nauset Light and paddle back. DW on the Croc silly but fun. The return was unfinished. The volume on the Croc is 125 - did not like going into the winds at all.

I watched a woman walking two dogs on the beach disappear and realized that I was making about 1/2 kt headway. Paddled hard for 45 minutes and beached it.

Walked back to Radio. Rumor has it piece of eight was at the other end of the beach. Hope he had a better day!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »
In my early years of paddling I would paddle down wind 6 miles, then 6 miles into a strong mid day capping head winds on the return. It sucked! I learn to go the other direction. Do the lighter morning head winds on the first leg! I did a 10 mile race with a capping 90 degree 'side (south) winds' the whole way on my unlimited. 5 miles every stroke on my left side, then every stroke on my right side on the return 5 miles. The worst thing was the stroke was always a corrective stroke just to keep the nose of the board from heading down wind. Actually EgoSchmity was grinding it out right next to me the whole way on his unlimited. My shoulders were totally gone after. And I paid money for that abuse?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 02:47:45 PM »
Was at the DW take-out spot meeting a friend to drive our gear upwind. Wind had been blowing 20 kn all day and some decent swell was up. As we watched a storm brewing in the nearby mountains killed the wind and then clocked it 120 degrees and picked up a solid 25-30 knots. As a particularly sharp mixed up chop was developing from this as my buddy looks at me and says: "we didn't come here to not paddle, eh?" and talks me into paddling upwind in the death chop. So we did. A couple of miles mind you.

He's world class and even did an extra mini lap just for fun. He taught me a few things. After the first 30mins I was swimming a lot less. The main lesson being that it could be done.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf