Author Topic: Whiskey....Bourbon.....Scotch? Anyone here partake?  (Read 24276 times)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskey....Bourbon.....Scotch? Anyone here partake?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 07:45:41 AM »
Kind of ironic that the guy who runs an addiction recovery program would chime in here, but I actually have more expertise to offer here than most SUP threads.

Scotch & bourbon are acquired tastes.  The way I acquired it brings back fond memories of my godparents who I used to visit for dinner every other week during college and then with declining frequency as the years passed and I moved out of the Bay Area and would only swing through on business as much as I could.  She lived to be 94, he to 100 and every night at 5pm they would have happy hour and enjoy a little "Scootch".  When I was in college they used to always have a Coors so I could enjoy that, but as they got older and I couldn't stop by as much they stopped having that on hand, but it was unthinkable that one not partake in happy hour.  So I faked my way through more than a few glasses of Dewar's loaded with ice until one day, I realized my mouth was watering for a bit of that scootch as I pulled up in front of their house.  Dear people--but I digress.

I've turned into a "neat" guy, but drink what you like how you like it.  My only contention is that you really don't need to spend money on something expensive if you're going to load it down with ice, water or pour Coke or 7-UP into it--just get some Jim Beam and enjoy.  

I've recognized that my preferences are seasonal.  Summertime, it's bourbon and almost always Maker's Mark--can't get a better deal than the big bottle at Costco.  Winter, it's single malt scotch--sure there are really expensive ones out there (Glenmorangie, Johnny Black) and they're very good but good options in the $20 range at Trader Joe's (being a cheapskate has probably saved me from addiction--my impulse against spending money is greater than that of needing a drink).  My go-to is Finlaggin with Linsmore being a second choice.

The trick to single malt is to not think of yourself as drinking it--just little drops on your tongue and then feel your taste buds come alive.  I might go a little faster with Bourbon, but I think of it more like letting hard candy dissolve in your mouth--slow enough so that you're barely swallowing.  Nothing beats that with a fire and a good book or good company.

Enjoy!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »
One does not simply walk into Mordor...and one does not simply have a pallet for scotch, whiskey or bourbon.  Try as I might, I died on the road to acquiring a taste for scotch and the like.  Yes it's a manly drink.  No, it's not for me. As was said by others before me, drink what you like, and be smart about it.

So I've settled in on what I find to be a good and easy sipper drink. The Sailor Jerry site calls the mixture "The Man", and that might be as close as I'll get to manly.  A couple of rocks, 2 parts spiced rum, one part amaretto.  Yea it's pretty sweet, ...so sue me.  I'll throw in a splash of pomegranite juice or cranberry juice for something different.  It's easy to pour and an easy to drink, why make things more complicated than that?  :)

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »
Glenlivet 12 is one of the lightest of single malt scotches, so I wouldn't proceed down the single malt road until that one seems mild. Dalwhinnie 15 yr old is another popular "entry" into single malts, but at $50 it seems a shame to purchase if you'll have to fight to get it down.

I like Bill's suggestion of trying blends (Wild Grouse in particular). They're often designed to be more drinkable (smoother & lighter than many single malts), and in most cases aren't very expensive. Stay away from Johnnie Walker Red though (I think it's rough and nasty).

As for bourbons, Maker's Mark is one of the sweeter and smoother ones out there, and it's only a little more expensive than basic brands like Jim Beam. It can be mixed with ginger ale or 7-Up to start (or even Coke), or try it at a good bar in an Old Fashioned cocktail.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 09:08:59 AM »
Careful, Slatch--I hear that drink can be a nightmare if you spill it on your purse.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 10:24:29 AM »
One of my favorite apres duck hunting drinks is a mixture my late lamented best friend called "Holy Water". Amaretto and brandy. Cheap brandy and good Amaretto. The idea of course is to mitigate the sweetness of the Amaretto. Never mix the good stuff, that's what cheap is for.

I tend to like all my liquors either neat or damned close to it. About the only thing I mix at all is a martini, and then all I do is rinse the ice with vermouth and pour off the excess. Then a copious amount of good gin and three olives, like god intended it. There's something about Martinis that cries out for a cigarette, even though I detest them. Cry away, I don't do it.

The other two exceptions are Mai Tais (I like the ones I make best) and the Mango Margaritas at the Haile Maile General Store. Rare treats, but thoroughly enjoyed.

Other than that it's really good brandy (really, really good) or Calvados. For my 55th birthday my wife commissioned a private blending and bottling of brandy from the RMS (Remy Martin Spirits) distillery in Napa. The distillery is long gone (lots of stories about that) but I still have about 15 bottles of the brandy. Probably enough to last me until I kaack as long as I take it easy on it. In my opinion it's simply the best. It's called PSB (Professional Small Boy) and has a picture of Peyote, my race car, on the label.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 10:41:30 AM »
I tend to like all my liquors either neat or damned close to it. About the only thing I mix at all is a martini, and then all I do is rinse the ice with vermouth and pour off the excess. Then a copious amount of good gin and three olives, like god intended it.

Wait a minute?  Are you my dad?  I always wondered if I was adopted.

Two olives in a martini is a garnish.  Three qualify as a salad.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
If you want to get into Scotch, do it like the Scots do it. No ice, not straight but with water.
Get yourself a good smooth Sherry wood, like Macallan 12 or 18 year old. Start with a few drops of water, then a few more, until you find where your taste preference lies. My preference is roughly 30-35% alcohol. Most whiskys here are between 38 and 42% (76-84 proof) so I dilute them a bit, until the sharpness of the alcohol goes away. Cask strength whiskys are around 60% and are supposed to be diluted to taste. Anyone who drinks that neat is just showing off (and wasting a good scotch if you ask me) The water brings out a whole lot of other flavours, too.
I used to dislike all whiskys, but funnily enough, what got me into it was a really smoky, peaty Islay - Laphroaig. It smells of tar and old boat houses :-)
And a fantastic Islay called Rosebank. But that distillery is out of business so the remaining bottles are getting really expensive.
Oban is somewhere in between the Laphroaig and Macallan. Really good. Another favourite (but expensive) is Glenmorangie Portwood 21yo. Any connaisseur will be impressed if you serve that :-)

tulipcity paddle

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies and insights. I do find that my tastes are towards sweeter drinks. But am intrigued bytbathe smells of whiskey and some Scotch. I am going to get a bottle of Makers Mark and give it a go. I also just ordered some  Glencairn Scotch/Whiskey glasses too.

PiratesSayARRR

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
It's been awhile since I've been on the forums, but you have touched on a subject I'm quite fond of.

Bourbons/Ryes

Rye is at least 51% rye mashbill and Bourbon is at least 51%, but not more than 79% corn mashbill.

I like having large cubes in my drink (I use these: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/king-cube-silicone-ice-cube-tray/?pkey=ctabletop-bar-tool& and these: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/silicone-ice-sphere-molds-set/?pkey=ctabletop-bar-tool&)

List of my favorite Bourbons and Ryes:
Bourbons:
Eagle Rare 10 Year (17 year when I can find it as they only sell in limited quantities)
Blanton's Bourbon
Basil Hayden
Willet Single Barrel

Ryes:
High West Double Rye
Templeton Rye
Bulliet Rye

Scotch -
I'm a big fan of the Highlands and the Speysides (ergo Macallan). I'm not into the smokey peatiness of the islays (pronounced eye-luh)

My Faves are:
Macallan (12,15 and 18)
Oban
Johnnie Walker (only when mixed with Soda)

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »
After crewing a Snowflake series sailing race, an elder held forth on his post-winter-regatta recovery technique:  A large Rusty Nail and a warm fire. 

Try some Rusty Nails over a course of months, but slowly reduce the Drambuie portion, et voila, you're a whisky drinker. 

I prefer the less smokey, more malty ones.  The honey notes might appeal to a newbie.  However, the peaty ones have some appeal too, in particular Oban: icky and beautiful at once - like kissing a girl who smokes.

From Esquire http://www.esquire.com/drinks/rusty-nail-drink-recipe#ixzz2FNfeUktg

The Rusty Nail
2 ounces Scotch
1/2 ounce Drambuie
Combine the Scotch and Drambuie in a double Old-Fashioned glass, add lots of ice, and stir. The quantities here are a rough ratio. Half and half is too sweet for us, but some folks swear by it. We suggest you start with 2 ounces Scotch and 1/2 ounce Drambuie and work your way up from there (or, of course, stop). There are those who insist on layering the ingredients. Nah.

I can't find it now, but there was an article about a year ago on the science behind diluting spirits to enhance their flavour and aroma.  New York Times? 

tulipcity paddle

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 03:31:16 AM »
After crewing a Snowflake series sailing race, an elder held forth on his post-winter-regatta recovery technique:  A large Rusty Nail and a warm fire. 

Try some Rusty Nails over a course of months, but slowly reduce the Drambuie portion, et voila, you're a whisky drinker. 

I prefer the less smokey, more malty ones.  The honey notes might appeal to a newbie.  However, the peaty ones have some appeal too, in particular Oban: icky and beautiful at once - like kissing a girl who smokes.

From Esquire http://www.esquire.com/drinks/rusty-nail-drink-recipe#ixzz2FNfeUktg

The Rusty Nail
2 ounces Scotch
1/2 ounce Drambuie
Combine the Scotch and Drambuie in a double Old-Fashioned glass, add lots of ice, and stir. The quantities here are a rough ratio. Half and half is too sweet for us, but some folks swear by it. We suggest you start with 2 ounces Scotch and 1/2 ounce Drambuie and work your way up from there (or, of course, stop). There are those who insist on layering the ingredients. Nah.

I can't find it now, but there was an article about a year ago on the science behind diluting spirits to enhance their flavour and aroma.  New York Times? 

I actually saw a show on the History Channel about Scotch and Whiskey. They did  mention putting a little water in them. It depended a little on which type of Whiskey or Scotch, as to how much water, or ice.....

I will try the Rusty Nail approach to Scotch too. I do enjoy a Rusty Nail occasionally.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 05:02:38 AM »
Sooo, I had been drinking scotch and had grown to like it. I don't know single, double, blended, etc. just checking stuff out. Dewars on the rocks when out was always a good choice it seems as it was always there. My son knew this and after a football game where the town was overrun with infested fans from the big time college team in town (Nebraska) we went out. We were drinking beer at the waterhole and I was feeling old with all the college kids everywhere. My son comes back with a shot....thinking he had a nice surprise for me.....I am thinking some young kids drink...(he asked the bar keep for a shot of the best scotch he had I found out later, can't remember what it was)....I threw it back not knowing what it was at that point....and thought he was playing a joke it burned so bad. One of the worst shots I ever had. My reaction said eveything about the shock my throat felt. I felt so bad when he told me what he had done and then I told him how I drink it. Amazing what those ice cubes and induldging do to it.

tulipcity paddle

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »
Well, I picked up a bottle of Makers Mark today......AND found out that the Drambuie 15 is now available in Michigan. Apparently Drambuie 15 is a more toned down version of the original.....a more "Scotch" oriented flavor. I had to order it from Fortinos in Grand Haven.. Going to sample the Makers tonight......

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 02:43:18 PM »
Enjoy!!!!

JT

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »
I thought this might be a trick question at first, but I soon realized maybe not.

I'm no expert on any of this, but after a trip across the pond a number of years ago for a wedding, I returned home with a bottle of Midleton Very Rare Irish Whisky vintage 1997. My host had recommended it and I was simply floored by how good it was.

I'll get another bottle someday.

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
lakemichiganwingfoiler
Today at 10:30:44 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 09:09:49 AM