Author Topic: "We don't allow SUPS at Rye Rocks"  (Read 14296 times)

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
"We don't allow SUPS at Rye Rocks"
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
followed by "this spot is for surfing only" followed by a bunch of other suggestions for me I will get to in a minute.

On the 10th of December after driving from Janness in NH. to Salisbury in MA. looking at breaks my buddy(shortboarder) and I decide Rye Rocks is the only place really worth paddling out to because of an east wind and short period. Rye Rocks is a point break with super easy access right off a fairly busy coast road. It can be reasonably clean when everything else is junk. It is a pretty technical drop with a very small lineup and really cannot handle more then 10 to 15 people or so. It gets great, like really great and I have watched many stellar waves ridden there. I had sup'ed there twice previously when it was very small and only 4 of us were out. When my buddy and I paddle out there were 3 people out so we made five. I rotated in a few times caught some waves and was having fun with my buddy. I know perfectly well this is not a SUP friendly break. So just when I get my best wave and I am moving down the line having a ton of fun I hear grumbling as I pass a guy paddling out for his first wave, right away I know he is not complimenting my steezy style :-*. Sure enough I zoom off the shoulder and paddle back out to "SUPS are not allowed" followed by something like  there are waves all over the place go somewhere else but no SUPS here because it sets a "precedent" and finally "don't take this personally". My only response on this round was "I am not taking this personally" which was not true and  immediately go from enjoying my session to being bummed out. I am sensitive, really I am, I take anger and aggression hard and I take shit to heart, personally. So I hang on the shoulder catch another ride, from the inside out of anybodies way. Knowing my time on the peak is over primarily for my own sanity because I can't be near the bullshit. There are now 8 people out all prone but me. I paddle back out after my inside wave and apparently I need it explained to me more clearly. So I sit down and listen. "Rye Rocks is for Surfers" SUP'ers can go lots of other places. "WE had to go through this 10 years ago with kayakers". "It sets a precedent (he seemed worried about precedent) when other SUP'ers drive by and see you from the road and think it is allright to SUP here". My response to round two was to sit down and listen and I responded with "I will be riding waves here today" and got back in the rotation for the inside waves. But ya know what my session was ruined and the chowder and fire I had planned for my buddy and I was looking better and better. I waited it out for a nice meaty wave and rode it in. I tried to style it out for Lenny(my antagonist). This guy used "we" a bunch of times. I ....think he was being a tool.  

My feelings on exclusivity are not kind. I do not believe in pulling the ladder up after you in most any instance. I am particularly  un-likely to honor some fairy tale rule making amongst a bunch of guys because they were there first at a surf break in New Hampshire. It is rarely my first thought to go there because it is crowded but it is one of the best waves within my striking distance and it is a left and I am goofy foot. I am really looking forward to heading out there again sometime in the future. I believe in sharing and if the long boarder that was out there was not being such a wave hog we all would have gotten a few more rides including Lenny who appeared to be a pretty good surfer as was his young son. Who got to witness his dad being the boss.

I used quotes where I could very clearly remember what was said. I thought about posting this in the regional section and perhaps the administer will move it there but I was hoping to get some thoughts from the larger community here.

I am open to being dead wrong about SUPing at Rye Rocks but it will take some convincing.

Marta
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:57:54 PM by NEplay »
New England Is My Playground

Big Al

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: "We don't allow SUPS at Rye Rocks"
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:26:02 PM »
At first my approach was to go down the beach and avoid the "surfers"...I've been a surfer for over 30 years.   Then I started surfing shorter and shorter sups and hold my own, now I surf wherever I want period. It's all about skill level and safety for anybody riding waves, kooks can be on sups or prone boards, respect - earn it!

JT

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »
This story makes me want to take a road trip to Rye Rocks just to SUP it.

If you follow established surf etiquette and have enough skills to competently surf at a particular spot, then I don't think it should matter what kind of board you're riding.

I make this as a general statement, but I think it should apply especially to those whose boards have undergone SUP-reduction surgery, as good shortboard SUPers can rip harder than most longboarders as well as some prone shortboarders.

So, I think you're dead right.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:47:44 PM »
Big Al and JT nailed it-here in socal it is really insane-but douchery knows no geographical boundaries.

You will naturally tend to push the limits of what and where and when you sup as your skillset grows.

If you can handle yourself and your board-respect the locals to a point but dont be a pushover-and just be cool you can work yourself into allmost any lineup.

You are definitely not dead wrong.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »
great replies and I agree. I must gain, maintain, and practice my safety, etiquette and skills. This whole skill set is a work in progress and is progressing and I think at a good level of awareness and competency. My sup is a Coreban 9'6 and while not super short is a progressive design. I would love to have anyone join me.

It is funny I have a good friend who just returned to the Seacoast after 4 years in Maui. I love surfing with him because he rips but also because he is  so use to SUPS. He just says everyone deals with each other there.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »
sup where you want,  especially with aloha.    I say  road trip all sups meet up at rye rocks,, we'll set a precedent.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

AM9K

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 04:44:01 PM »
As long as you are following the rules of etiquette; then...
-Equal Access
-Equal Surf
-Equal Respect

By any means necessary....

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:48:27 PM by Ninth Circuit »
Instagram/Twitter: @AM9K

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 05:03:49 PM »
Him:  "When other SUP'ers drive by and see you..."
You:  "Hell w/ them SEE'ing me.  Wait til they READ it on the 'zone!"   ;)

Never been to Rye Rocks but definitely have to go out of my way to check it out this spring.  If I meet Lenny, I'll be sure to tell him "oh yeah, I read about YOU on that STANDUP website".  :D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »
Of course, the irony is, short odds that Lenny lives in NH (pays no state income or sales tax), yet crosses over into MA everyday to go to work.

Next time you cross paths, be sure to tell him that Spookini says "NH residents are not allowed to come into MA and take our jobs anymore.  With all that cheap gas, they can drive ANYWHERE else."

(Besides, it sets a really bad precedent)  ::)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
I cannot speak to the New Hampshire/mass thing but it is a pretty cool break but a small area. And I have no problem shouting out my story on the zone. I am to old to take shit like that and spent to much time in the water first as a beginner proner when I moved to the Seacoast 12 years ago and in the last three years learning to SUS competently. I would not want to see anyone else get bullied for no reason whatsoever on a rainy Monday trying to ride a few waves.

One of the things I read recently here on the Stand Up Zone was that you must show good etiquette but you cannot be passive. I think this is right.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
A lot of us have been there, done that. My stand is that I am not the problem and I work hard to not be. I explain to the complainers that I will not take advantage of being on a SUP, but I will take my share of waves and surf where I want. I also explain to them that if there are other SUPs misbehaving, I will call them out.

mikelefty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »
A simple "go fu*k you mother" works everytime.

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
That Sup paddle out to Rye Rocks is spot on. I'm in. If anyone is capable of organizing this, please keep posting. I don't exactly know where this is, but I'll know when I get there.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
Sad part is that no matter what it does ruin your session.

I know it's sometimes hard to say it, but a simple "Hey, go f*&k yourself" works pretty well.

I was having a swell evening tonight, driving to get a beer and some dinner, and this douchebag runs up past the traffic in the right turn lane and then tries to shove in past me. He's in a much nicer car, so that's not happening, so he flips me off. Turns out we're going to the same restaurant. I get out of the car, he's with his wife, I walked over and said "you want to put that finger up again so I can break it off". 

Guess not. Typical weenie that's brave in his car. 99.9% of the people that pull crap like that are just like that. Weenies.

Of course if you happen onto one of the .1% you gotta be ready to give it a go.

I was pretty happy he was in a different part of the restaurant, spoiled my evening enough to get all worked up without having to look at the butthead.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 09:11:39 PM »
Marta, you seem pretty cool…. I like the way you stood up for yourself

The break you are talking about is unique. The line up is very compressed, with everyone basically sitting on top of each other. The peak does not shift around and the takeoff spot is tiny. It was over-crowded in the 60’s & 70's…when we were all friends.

I understand their concerns…. There is just no room at that peak.

I am willing to defer certain spots … to keep the overall peace.

I love that break, but I had a decided long ago, that I won’t SUP there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just read some pretty aggressive response’s to this post.

New England is a pretty mellow place to SUP… I enjoy a lot of friendly lineups all around the region.

I think, overall, we have a very good vibe.

If you want to make it more like Oregon… go ahead with your SUP-in…

OR… you could realize just how SUP friendly it is around here and let this issue melt away

If you make a big deal about this… you will be making a big mistake

George Washington did not win the Revolution by fighting every battle

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
April 26, 2024, 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest