Author Topic: Competition Rules  (Read 16762 times)

cloclo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Competition Rules
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2009, 11:27:21 AM »
Here in France, we are using those rules, I guess those are good, but it need to be explained. During this season, the judges were good enough to decide wether or not the paddle use was efficient.

For me like said Blane, not every turn has to be done with the paddle (exemple: reentry, floater, etc...), I think those "competition rules" (yes were are talking about contest, not free surfing) has to be decided by SUPER, we see many contest judged by surfer that don't know anything about sup.

Actually the sup rules are the same as surfing, because it's surfing, but the paddle is very important (not just to take the wave) that's why is has to be noticed, but not 100% on every turn for sure.

cloclo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »

Example:  Frontside cutback, paddle in front of you is popular but very weak turn.   No one can shread this turn with more power than with the paddle behind them or not even touching the water.    This turn should not be scored higher just because the paddle is being used.    Its a weak turn.   You cannot set your heals into it like you can having your paddle behind you or not touching the water at all.     
How do International Rules come about without coming here to have the innovators and most radical surfers in the world help make them? ::)

I'm not sure to understand what you mean about those cutback ?

For me you can do both ways: using the paddle as a pivot point inside or laying back, those two turns are differents, but good and efficient (if well done) not just stylish.

I was thinking that maybe the "waterman league" could do something about judging criteria, but were still waiting ;)

Richard

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2009, 01:33:54 PM »
Let the surfing speak for itself. The paddle should not factor in the equation at all.

Richard

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2009, 02:19:51 PM »
Actually the sup rules are the same as surfing, because it's surfing, but the paddle is very important (not just to take the wave) that's why is has to be noticed, but not 100% on every turn for sure.

Aloha cloclo,

I totally agree with you on this: the paddle shouldn’t be used only to take a wave…

In my heat I lost to a famous big wave rider (won’t mention his name here) that used the paddle only to take the wave and that was it. As he is a big guy and very familiar to big gun boards, he had lots of power on his maneuvers and, therefore, judges high scored his waves…

I’m not pissed off. I think he surfs great and he did an awesome job with the sup board, but this is not a big wave riding contest… Nor longboard riding… This is stand up PADDLE surfing, and so I think the paddle should and need to be used in order to push the limits of this sport. Of course, exceptions needs to be taken care apart but I think that in a floater, for example, the paddle could be used in carving, prior to the floater itself…

Other than that, I think those rules can contribute to reeducate the way we surf (me included) if we are forced to perform using the paddle… Regardless of what those rules are imposing, IMO guys like Leleo Kinimaka, Mel P’uu, among others, are really setting things apart regarding sup surfing, as they can use the paddle very efficiently and with lots of style…

Here in Brazil, I think that is the paradigm we need to break: pro longboard contestants are signing in for SUP surfing competition as SUP boards have evolved into lighter, thinner & smaller boards. Most of them cannot use the paddle properly but they are excellent longboard rider and judges are scoring them high… Nevertheless, some exceptions can be seeing in sup surfers like Picuruta  and Carlos Bahia, whom are pro longboard surfers and competed in Maldives WLT. Both of them can use the paddle majestically.

My 2 cents…

Mahalo do Brazil,
Bob.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »
Obscure Cold War Reference Alert:

From a recreational SUSurfer's perspective, I win every time I get in the water.  I always get scored pretty highly (in my mind), except for that pesky judge from the former Soviet Union!  He always brings me down!  It's all good though, he has to go through life wearing that stupid furry hat.

In all seriousness, when laydown surfers tell me, "That was a nice wave man," or "I wish I had a camera for that one..." or my personal favorite (only happened once, from a geriatric woman who may have been blind):  "Who do you ride for..." then I win.  When I have a great session and it all comes together, I win.  When I have a bad session, and I am too tired, or not concentrating hard enough, I win.  When a surfer calls me out or gives me attitude, I win.  When it is windy, white capped and barely rideable, and I paddle out anyway, I win.  When I get to paddlesurf with my son, I win.

I am blessed to live in Southern California and to have the means to paddlesurf in my spare time.  I am blessed that I have spare time.  I win.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2009, 04:41:57 AM »
That´s the spirit, Tim... Cheers, aloha, enjoy!! I share hose same thoughts that´s why I decided to sign in for pro competition: even though I know I don´t have a chance to win, I have the super chance to have a good time as I realise that the I don´t do it in obligation to a sponsor or to pay my bills... The only commitment is to exceed myself and that´s my goal...

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2009, 04:47:43 AM »
I´d like to add something to what I said: I don´t want to sound disrespectful to pro athetes, in fact it´s white the opposite, they´re my source of inspiration... I just wanted to express that wining a competing is like achieving your "destination" and I´m more into achieving the "journey"...

Lots of mahalos,
Bob.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2009, 11:27:15 AM »
Bob,

I totally get it... while I am just a rec rider... every session I push myself to get better... I can see how competition can do the same... you win whether or not you "win."

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin