Author Topic: Why you might not want to learn to surf on a short SUP.  (Read 12761 times)

Sup Bajan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why you might not want to learn to surf on a short SUP.
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »
I am 40, 275 lbs, SUP'n for 4 months.  Went out yesterday and this morning for the second and third time at trying the surf thing.

Yesterday - waist high reef break peaks moving all over the place, 2 hrs, 1/2 gallon of saltwater consumed, paddle to th face twice, arms completely shredded, attempts to catch wave Approx 40, actual caught waves 2!

Today- same break, 1 hour before work, 2 cups of h2o, no paddle kissing, arms same, 20 attempts, waves caught 2. 

PROGRESS!!!!! ;D
  And today i was on my short board an 11'2" x 31" Tabou, other board is a cruiser 11' 6"

Christo
Kaizen - "continuous incremental improvement"

Fanatic Allwave 9'10"

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 01:01:30 AM »
I understand the surfing fist thing. I had been tossing that idea around as we'll.  what kind of board?  5'11 and 185lbs.   Mostly small surf unless I travel. Would a bigger Simmons surf board be conducive? Or stick with more of a long board shape?

I would tend to choose a "standard" shape (what is often called an "evolutive" or "funboard" shape), but with a lot of width and volume, and a fast (flat) rocker in the centre for paddle speed. Simmons and Longboards are more technical and need you to move your weight around more.

try to get as much width and volume as you can get, it will help your progress immensely

These guides summarizes it quite well: http://www.endlesslope.com/surf_board_guide.htm http://surfing.about.com/cs/surfinstruction/a/0720032.htm

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 03:14:12 AM »
Thanks Colas.

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 08:30:12 AM »
Conversely, when I lived/surfed in Hawaii (Oahu), I started on about a 7'2" board, then over the years, was strictly short boarding, on my 6' Randy Sleigh.

Now, here in the Midwest long-boards are the norm for small/mushy lake waves. I have a 9'2" G&S and though I can catch waves, I never felt as comfortable as I did on my short boards. Maybe I should get out on it more often.

Transitioned to SUP's and it's really odd for me, personally. They're like tanks comparatively. So, I've picked up a Pickle, yes, a Pickle, at 7'6" it's significantly smaller than other SUP's I have. It's a LOT harder to just balance on it in waves, but a fun challenge.

I have to get out a few more times in waves before I write any serious reviews of the Pickle. SUSing is still so different to me than prone surfing. Looking/waiting for waves is different, turning to catch and paddling into them is waaaay different, harder for me still. I often seem to have the paddle on the wrong side of the board for the wave. Once on and surfing it's odd too, as you have to move your feet around so much more.

Anyway, random thoughts over...
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »
This thread made me put my money where my mouth is. Just bought a used Naish 10'10", plan to try it with a small K4 flexy fin and even finless.
Should be fun!
I do have prone boards too, but we just have windswell here, better to learn on a SUP here and then transition to prone surfing as far I'm concerned.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 10:33:47 AM »
Without sounding too biased...

I don't think the majority of newbies should learn on a 10'+ board. They are far from easy to handle in decent size surf. And that's where the "dangerous" stereotype comes from.  I've seen it first hand. I'm very experienced and wouldn't paddle out something that big on a good day.

:/

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »
Newbies should definitely start on a 10' + SUP. They should however not start out in decent size surf.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »
I'm with Cardiff, 10"+ are just dangerous tank missiles. What makes people think that is ok in the name of "I can't balance on something smaller." Why not head out in a canoe, kayak or a zodiac then? Surfers don't have the privilege of training wheels, SUP's shouldn't either. Want to ride a pseudo canoe, stick to flat water. Kooky SUPers in the lineup often have an attitude problem stemming from this, because their boards are so big and floaty and easy to balance on, it gives them the impression that they are not on a boat, but actually surfing, and so they head out just like the other surfers they see. If their boat sized SUP looked like a boat, chances are you wouldn't find them out there. If you want to surf, you deserve to struggle for awhile on a smaller board, no pain, no gain. We wouldn't run an unmarked cat track to the center of a double black diamond with no easy way down would we?

Plenty of good beginner boards out there that are less tank like - anyone, even someone who can't catch a beach ball from 5 feet - should be able to stand on a SB ~9' Widepoint.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:06:45 PM by 14 West »
Don't forget to bring a towel!

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about with these short bords. I chill in the lineup at Windansea every Thursday with this little guy:

VonR

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 07:04:41 PM »
SUPerSwede,

You'd definitely do better to start out in wind swell proning it. Safe the SUP for cleaner days.
Aloha,
Jeff

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 07:31:03 PM »
This is all very, very, personal....and also very dependent on the board. My 12-6 cruiser never saw a lineup for at least a year while I learned to master it. I thought it surfed reasonably well once I had but I had no reference...my surfing experience was limited to body and boogie before SUP. When I moved down to and 11-2 it was awesome, better control, easier turns, etc.....then I got my 9-0 and the lights went on.

My 12-6 is 31", my 9-0 is 34"....the 9 is more stable, easier to get out through whitewater, turns on a dime...only downside is harder to get on a wave. Did I learn better on my 12-6 than I would have my 9-0? Not sure.....you can develop some habits on a bigger board that aren't good just because you can.....like paddling for a wave that you aren't really in position for. I miss waves on my 9-0 that my 12-6 would catch with ease but being on a shorter board requires better wave reading skills. Maybe learning to walk the board is more critical on a big board....I am thankful for that...it forced me to learn to cross step and move around.

Bottom line...I'm not sure we can make a definitive statement about what sized board is best for learning to surf. It depends on the person, the particular board, and the type of surfing you want to do.

I have to disagree VonR....if you want to get better on controlling a SUP go out in sloppy chop frequently. Just don't do it in a crowd. I know my board control skills advanced much faster in the early days because I made a point of going out when it was at its most challenging.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 07:36:09 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »
I think this is both true and false.  It is easier to learn to surf prone with a bigger board, and maybe on SUP also, but I say how bad do you want it.  Hunger will overcome adversity anytime, if that makes any sense.

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2012, 01:47:33 AM »
I don't think you realise how slow and small the wind swell here is. Most days it's not a matter of choosing my craft. It's either SUP or no surf at all. And on the really windy days I windsurf. So the niche for prone aurfing isn't that big. But I do, every once in a while.

And prone surfers do have training wheels. There are large, wide boards if you need them. Or thick soft deck boards.
I do agree that a 10'x34" wide 12kg board does not belong in a crowded lineup. But there are two separate questions at hand here. Is there a beginner SUP so small and light that it suits the lineup with a beginner on board?
No.

Get a wide and long but light-ish craft to learn on and stick to small waves in uncrowded breaks - unless you're already a proficient surfer - then move down. A too small SUP is a great way of holding back your development.
If you're lucky enough to live near a ground swell break it may be a different story, but then the odds are you're already a good prone surfer anyway and in my book not really a beginner.

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2012, 05:05:22 AM »
I often seem to have the paddle on the wrong side of the board for the wave.

It seems that you paddle too early.

Just try to wait for the wave, or just paddle to position yourself at the peak, and only start paddling for taking off just when the wave catches you. You should be able to take off in one or two powerful strokes, using the paddle more as a pole to launch your body into the wave than making your board go forward.

With shorter boards, each paddle stroke is a risk factor (too much row, lost of balance, ...), so you want to minimize the risks, do as few paddle strokes as possible.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »
Once again Colas calls it. The reason why this thread has the word "may" in it, is that it's not an absolute. However,Colas has pointed out something that the "real" surfers on here should instinctively know but may have forgotten because it's so ingrained in them.

It's not so much about stability, though that is part of it, it's position and timing and for me, that is easier on a longer board.

Catching the wave is the critical part of learning to handle yourself in a lineup. Not wasting waves and making the wave so you can enjoy the performance of your board.. That's only one of the reasons.

This thread assumed that you wouldn't be out in a busy lineup on your 12'er day one.

Getting in early, learning to read the wave and be in the rit position but having the ability to stick a drop that you didn't quite call. Right, that's why I say this. Also, starting on a used board, passing that on after a year, it's easily done and in my opinion ay better than suffering for a few months till you dial something smaller..

I'm not here to be hardcore, I'm not here to impress, there is no glory or money in this for me, only the fun and amazing experience of riding waves.  Your experience may vary and of course there are exceptions to every thing. But I just wanted to put this thought out there. There are so many new people here and also so many amazing surfers who after years on the ware can ride anything, in any conditions.

I cannot and God bless the badasses who can. I'm glad that some old timers pointed me at a 10'6" to get my legs under me.

This forum changed my life and regularly saves me hours of frustration in the water, thanks guys and gals of the zone.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf