Author Topic: Who is your favorite Southern California shaper?  (Read 5163 times)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Who is your favorite Southern California shaper?
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
So my #1 choice to shape my new board is not shaping SUP's currently for an indefinite amount of time until he finds a glasser that he trusts with his boards (Tim Stamps, who along with being a killer shaper is seriously a very nice guy to deal with and is very quick to offer advice, and take suggestions and feedback), so I am looking for a new shaper. Prefer someone in the SoCal area.

I'm looking for a shaper who is more of a progressive shaper, who 'get's it' so to speak and understands that it's not just a blown up short board. I think I was spoiled with my Stamps, because the board was thinly foiled in the nose and tail, but still floated me well at 185lbs, 6'2 tall. Dims were 9x29x4.

Looking for a shaper who I can actually speak to, who will return an email or phone call, and is into shaping SUP's for people. A lot of shapers seem to be a bit flakey, don't return calls or emails, don't take the time to listen to what the client wants, or are pretty unreliable.

So far I am leaning toward Gary McNabb/Nectar. Any other suggestions on local shapers are appreciated. I've also owned boards int he past from Infinity, David Craig, Joe Blair, and Dave Daum/Kings, and looking to try someone new.

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Who is your favorite Southern California shaper?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
How progressive are we talking here?  If it's off the charts cutting edge, call Corran Addison. I'm on a Mach 1 right now and am currently having my mind blown. I weigh more than you at 5'9", ride an 8'2", and am very happy.  If not him, then I'd go Infinity or maybe Kings. Not quite as short board feeling, but I've never met anyone who wasn't very happy with either brand. You're lucky to be in a place with so many good shapers.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
Re: Who is your favorite Southern California shaper?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:25:18 PM »
All those guys are great, but I think if you want progressive, look to Dave Boehne @ Infinity.  Dave is young, surfs (and sups) hard....and you can just call the shop and ask for him.

If you follow Dave on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or the shop blogs, you'll have a feel for his sense of style, and it you'll either vibe on it or not.  Dave and his brother make a good team and if I was looking at custom, he would be a first call.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:27:30 PM »
good choices ODJ!
Had me a Nectar for a long time-loved it-Gary is pretty good about turn around.
I didnt get any face time with him when i bought my 9-0 Cinco but i did get to his oside glassers shop and ogle the board.

If you dont want to give Infinity or Kings another go-(IMHO they are both putting out pretty progressive shapes-especially Infinitys Blurr line)check out the new Raw series from Hobie.

United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »
When I say progressive, I mean guys who actually figured it out with the SUP. They actually got the rails dialed and the foil down where the boards surf like a surfboard and are responsive, but still are able to get the volume in there to float me.

I had a 10' Kings as my first SUP, and have not ridden any other King's boards since, and that Knight model I had is light years different than what I want now...maybe I should call Dave and try for a demo. I know I am crazy, and although the customer service from the guys at Infinity was second to none for the race board I ordered from them, I do not know how stoked I am on their surf SUPs when I watch the videos of people riding them. Can't explain it. I want to like the Inifinty boards but just can't get into them.

I actually was ready to get a Nectar board shaped in the past, and wrote an email inquiring and never heard back, which is how I ended up with the Stamps. And If I am going to drop this much money on a board, you best believe I am going to speak one on one with the shaper, otherwise my business will go elsewhere! I'm not going to rely on some shop monkey to take my order and try and convey what I am looking for onto an order form for the shaper to interpret!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:44:44 PM by ODJ »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:42:26 AM »
Rocky McKinnon SUS's HB pier regularly.  I've seen him both north and south side.  He his a well respected and good surfer, riding his own boards. McKinnon surfboards. 

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »
Or you can always have Tim shape you another board and tell him you're taking it to Chelu up in SC to have it glassed.  

He glasses or has glassed for many/most/all(?) of the names already mentioned, and I don't know of a single person that has given nothing but great praise for anything he's ever done.

Only negative is that he can be so inundated with orders, that his turn-around time can be a bit slow at times, but I guess that sort of comes with the territory.

Now is a very good time of the year for him in getting out boards, as he does have his own line of custom SUPs and he's got a few new ones recently cut.....something he didn't have time to do just a month or so ago, as he was so busy churning out other shapers' orders.

Just another option if you really like Stamps' shapes and what to stay with him......
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:00:47 PM by PaddleCrazy »

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »
Ron House is a great shaper who will return your phone calls and email.
Small performance shapes, race, and big wave SUP, demos available at Aloha SUP in Leucadia, CA www.AlohaStandUpPaddle.com
RonHouse@cox.net
949 291-5524
Aloha,
Tom English

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
Dave Daum Kings. 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »
I am glad I jumped on the Infinity train. My 4th board in the works from them, 7'11 Blurr.

Taller than most, shorter than others.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 06:24:42 PM »
John Kies
Encinitas surfboards

I must have had a dozen of their boards over the years.

Ooh, local sup shaper?  I like the Hobie CM Raw. No clue know who actually shapes it though.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 07:46:03 PM »
John Kies
Encinitas surfboards

I must have had a dozen of their boards over the years.

Ooh, local sup shaper?  I like the Hobie CM Raw. No clue know who actually shapes it though.

I've been riding a John Kies 9'6 longboard (prone board) that is old, banged up and 10 years old, but it's still an awesome board! Super fun to ride, very forgiving and just a great board!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
April 26, 2024, 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut