Author Topic: Go Pro alternatives  (Read 21810 times)

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Go Pro alternatives
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 02:30:19 PM »
Has anyone seen or used the Watershot for iPhone?  http://www.watershot.com/underwater-camera-housing-iphone

I have been using my Lifeproof iPhone case, and I really like it, but this looks like a much more beefed up version of the same thing.  Waterproof to 130ft!  Looks like a better lens too, but that may be just for looks.  Nice to have all these options!

Southbay

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 05:29:23 PM »
This is a good read on the big 4.

I don't wanna tell you who wins...

http://gizmodo.com/5965732/the-best-action-camera

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »
That iphone case is dope. But of course we need the 5...

DelMarSurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 06:12:46 PM »
Why waste the brain damage and time trying to reinvent the wheel the Go Pro rocks. The other companies are trying to catch up.  I ski, sup, surf, wake surf, dive and race sports cars.  I have had cameras on my bumper and roof at 175+ miles an hour at Daytona and Cal Speedway. I would never risk my I phone when there is a dedicated camera that cost less and shoots better video hands down.  Just got back from a race a Willow Springs and a friend had the Hero 3 Black with remote and the video was amazing.  He was able to have his crew chief turn on and off the camera from the pits.  Good luck (haters) with cases, adapters and screw on lenses for the phone but remember it is a phone. DMS

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 08:39:46 AM »
Ah, CES...

http://www.liquidimageco.com/collections/ego

This looks interesting. I may have to add one of these to the arsenal.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 09:24:10 AM »

Cowboy.. Save your $$.  I got one as soon as they were released, but didn't bother to spend $49 for the WP housing.  It's video quality is nothing you could not duplicate with a cheap WP Kodak ..<$100 used.   I have a Sony on the way - that seems to hold more promise. 

This guy has a number of Sony water shots ..but, he's not your average iMovie user.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
Why waste the brain damage and time trying to reinvent the wheel the Go Pro rocks. The other companies are trying to catch up.  I ski, sup, surf, wake surf, dive and race sports cars.  I have had cameras on my bumper and roof at 175+ miles an hour at Daytona and Cal Speedway. I would never risk my I phone when there is a dedicated camera that cost less and shoots better video hands down.  Just got back from a race a Willow Springs and a friend had the Hero 3 Black with remote and the video was amazing.  He was able to have his crew chief turn on and off the camera from the pits.  Good luck (haters) with cases, adapters and screw on lenses for the phone but remember it is a phone. DMS

Except it's not. Check out Track Addict, an app that uses the accelerometers and GPS in the iPhone to do data capture for your race car and overlay the data on your video. You tell the app where start finish is and it times your laps for you, shows you the brake points you used for each corner, and all the usual data capture gizmos. I used it at Sears Point last year and it worked better than my old tech $1500 data capture system.

You can also track your course on a downwind run and geocapture the location of every picture, automatically. Get pacing (MotionX) and music while you paddle. And the gal that interrupts the music to tell you how fast you're going has a very naughty voice.

So there's that.

Oh, and wind reports, surf reports, etc. etc.

Camera is pretty darned good on the iPhone5 too.

I've got an old iPhone 4 that I pulled the sim on that I'm using to run the apps. But I'll probably use my new 5 too. And yes, a lifeproof case can fail and turn your phone to a doorstop.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Jradtke

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 10:50:45 AM »
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CM-7200

Astak Actionpro CM-7200,  It goes by many different names in other countries, the price seems reasonable, there are reviews out there, all seem positive, I'm sure one of the hyper tech nerds on this site will point out the weak points, just do it soon, I plan on ordering one by the end of the week.

Slowandshaky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
Optrix just came out with a case for the Iphone 5.

mountainpaddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »
I have the Drift Ghost HD. I really like all the features. Remote, WiFi, flashback, rotatable lens, large screen, ability to get rid of fish eye if you want, mic.

http://driftinnovation.com

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 06:35:08 AM »
I have noticed that few people talk $$$ (Wetsuits, Cameras . . .) on this site.  Show me the Money.  Maybe we are super privileged, but I was raised to worry about cost first.

I am not an Apple fan, but love the tsunami that Jobs started.  That said a friend had to replace his wife's phone, and he is not price sensitive, but was horrified at the $900 street price for the iPhone 5.  

That's a lot of jack to risk for a wearable camera.  

Hero 3 White: $199,  Hero 3 Black: $399, Sony HDR-AS10 $199

PS: If you don't believe me take a look at Apple's Market Cap.  Its sitting on that street price.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:37:04 AM by Beasho »

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 06:41:29 AM »
I am not an Apple fan, but love the tsunami that Jobs started.  That said a friend had to replace his wife's phone, and he is not price sensitive, but was horrified at the $900 street price for the iPhone 5.  

Hero 3 White: $199,  Hero 3 Black: $399, Sony HDR-AS10 $199

PS: If you don't believe me take a look at Apple's Market Cap.  Its sitting on that street price.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=17989574

UDflyer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 08:51:41 AM »
I have noticed that few people talk $$$ (Wetsuits, Cameras . . .) on this site.  Show me the Money.  Maybe we are super privileged, but I was raised to worry about cost first.

I am not an Apple fan, but love the tsunami that Jobs started.  That said a friend had to replace his wife's phone, and he is not price sensitive, but was horrified at the $900 street price for the iPhone 5. 

Hero 3 White: $199,  Hero 3 Black: $399, Sony HDR-AS10 $199

PS: If you don't believe me take a look at Apple's Market Cap.  Its sitting on that street price.

I had my iphone5 replaced for $179 without warranty through Apple store & I just bought 2 iphone5 for $500 each unlocked through clist. Should see how much theyre going for in other countries.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
Just to make sure I wasn't in left field I Snopes'd myself.  Immediately found a 'Used' iPhone 5 on eBay for $706.  

The low(er) prices are attached to contracts.  In a 2% interest rate environment $100 per month --> $1,200 per year.  That is the interest on a lot of money.  

$1,200/.02 = $60,000 NPV (Net Present Value ~ lifetime value).  

The phone, cable, Starbucks and any other subscription business is willing to give away a bunch to lock you into their annuity stream.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:31:08 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I like Bill's idea of all the technology tracking & accessible while surfing. 

I am just a bit wary of bringing my computer to a gun fight.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
April 26, 2024, 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut