Author Topic: Go Pro alternatives  (Read 21813 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Go Pro alternatives
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »

I'm pretty excited about the new Sony cam. It has a lot of the features that makes it super easy to use...in one of the models wifi is included...to me that is a requirement.

I do like the formfactor of the ion...but I am guessing Sony can better put their cam into a context with a lot of other devices..

tulipcity paddle

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 05:11:07 PM »
After hearing a lot of people complain about the GoPro line, and various issues with accessories..... I went with this..... very happy with it so far....

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:15:18 PM by tulipcity paddle »

SUP Viking

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 08:21:19 PM »

I'm pretty excited about the new Sony cam. It has a lot of the features that makes it super easy to use...in one of the models wifi is included...to me that is a requirement.

I do like the formfactor of the ion...but I am guessing Sony can better put their cam into a context with a lot of other devices..

I love my Action Cam. I'm still learning a lot about filming, its much harder than it looks! But you cant go wrong with the Sony.
"Fear of the uknown is the greatest fear of all, but we just went for it"

UDflyer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »
So are there any reviews out of the Sony Action Cam?? Havent seen much about them, unable to track down the black version of gopro in person although I see plenty of white/silver editions in stores.

I also just notice the Hero3app wont be compatible until a Dec14th release?? go figure

Dont know who's worse...gopro or lifeproof releasing new products. Prob gopro though! Plenty of their athletes have them though and lucky peeps who found a few at best buys.

Been over a month without a lifeproof case on my new iphone:(

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »
I just got an email from GoPro canceling my Hero3 Black order.  I'm a web affiliate and as part of the deal for promoting them w/Banners, etc on websites that we run, GoPro gives you a 40% discount on one product.  I finally decided to use my discount and places an order a week ago.  Today they sent an email cancelling it due to "extraordinary demand" and will only honor it on a Silver.  The point of the discount is to reward the sites that are promoting the product, but this feels like a big FU, especially since I've purchased 1 Hero, 2x Hero2's and pretty much every accessory over the last year and half at full retail.  Time to look at the alternatives.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 01:24:01 PM »
I just got an email from GoPro canceling my Hero3 Black order.  I'm a web affiliate and as part of the deal for promoting them w/Banners, etc on websites that we run, GoPro gives you a 40% discount on one product.  I finally decided to use my discount and places an order a week ago.  Today they sent an email cancelling it due to "extraordinary demand" and will only honor it on a Silver.  The point of the discount is to reward the sites that are promoting the product, but this feels like a big FU, especially since I've purchased 1 Hero, 2x Hero2's and pretty much every accessory over the last year and half at full retail.  Time to look at the alternatives.

That's messed up!  Hate it when those companies pull crap like that.

Slowandshaky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 01:45:59 PM »
It is not a camera per se but I have peard good reviews about the Optrix Iphone case with the wide angle lens built in.  Supposedly very durable and well made.  I have not personally tried it yet but will probably order one to play with.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 06:05:38 PM »
I got the Optrix case, I like it. I tested it in the sink. Submerged it in hot water, then opened the case, let the slight overpressure blow out, then resubmerged it and tossed in some ice to chill the water and draw a little vacuum on the seal. No leak.

Tested it on the board at Nichols. Good but boring video. I don't like the 175 degree lens though. I contacted the company to see if they have a screw-in replacement in the works. Answer--no, but the original optrix case was plain glass. They have some still and they're ten bucks less. Not advertised anywhere, but they have a few. Got mine today, looks great and the video I shot through the plain lens was fine--no distortion.  $89 Here's the email address for the office manager, Pam: Pam Allan  pallan@optrix.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 06:14:53 PM »
Just plugged my contourGPS in after having it on my helmet all day at the track. Very happy to report that there was a firmware update that increased the framerate when using the iPhone as a viewfinder and allows you to start/stop recording from the iPhone. No new hardware, just the free app update and free firmware update and it's ready to go.

Although I am a little ticked that I had it on continuous photo mode all day, taking pictures every 5 seconds. annoying.

There was 1 guy who had a couple of cool mounts he was putting on cars, one was a DSLR mounted on the trunk of the car and the other was a gopro mounted on a pivoting mount that had a little tail on it. This worked really well because this was all drifting.

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 12:51:27 PM »
I grabbed one of these JVC cams for testing in Okinawa this week, seems easy to use, quality maybe not quite as good as gopro's latest, but they price is only about $250 here in Japan, so at least it's cheap

you don't need any additional casing on the camera to use in water - which means it's small!
the seal is not as robust as gopro, so not sure how many years it will stay water tight...

I've had a few olympus and casio digital cams that leaked after about a year, only time will tell.
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »
Since I ski too, I wanted a low-profile camera, not a teletubby rig. Fell for Contour, I have one plus and one Roam. While the plus has all the bells and whistles, I often use the Roam for SUP use. Fits neatly on the paddle, a helmet or my K4 harness mount which gives a neat follow-cam angle. Great picture quality and the large on/off button works a treat. The new Roam2 has an ever better spec and it is definitely a possible future purchase if I don't get a SONY.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »
Since I ski too, I wanted a low-profile camera, not a teletubby rig. Fell for Contour, I have one plus and one Roam. While the plus has all the bells and whistles, I often use the Roam for SUP use. Fits neatly on the paddle, a helmet or my K4 harness mount which gives a neat follow-cam angle. Great picture quality and the large on/off button works a treat. The new Roam2 has an ever better spec and it is definitely a possible future purchase if I don't get a SONY.

Not sure if you've tried it yet but one detail when skiing - if you use the goggle strap mount(great angle BTW) you still need to be wearing a helmet to stabilize the camera, and you need to get the strap as tight as possible. I have a couple days of shaky footage due to the camera not having a hard surface under the strap. I rented a helmet for cheap and it worked a ton better.

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 01:46:11 PM »
The strap mount sucks, it needs an extra strap over the top or velcro to stick to tje helmet too. I've modified mine but I prefer a steady helmet mount. I would never ski without a helmet anyway.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »
I didn't have a problem once I put a helmet on, but I agree that the easiest thing is just to use a profile mount.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »
Optrix just arrived.  I think I accidentally ordered two.  If another one shows up, I will post in Classifieds before I send back.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 08:14:26 AM
post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
lakemichiganwingfoiler
Today at 05:37:01 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs