Author Topic: Frankenstorm, aka Sandy  (Read 51792 times)

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Frankenstorm, aka Sandy
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2012, 05:37:56 PM »
 Just watched those pics... Terrible; Just terrible!!! God speed in their recovery...     Paddle on;   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »
My brother just reminded me that he's going to NYC next week for the NY Marathon Nov 4th.  What timing!  I don't see how much can get cleaned up and back in order by then.  If it can go ahead at all, though, it could be a big rallying event for the city.
I'm assuming he's following it closely but there was some talk on the online news sites about postponing it or even cancelling for this year.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »
My brother just reminded me that he's going to NYC next week for the NY Marathon Nov 4th.  What timing!  I don't see how much can get cleaned up and back in order by then.  If it can go ahead at all, though, it could be a big rallying event for the city.
I'm assuming he's following it closely but there was some talk on the online news sites about postponing it or even cancelling for this year.
I'm sure he is, but good point.  I'll remind him.  Especially since he's traveling from London just for the race.  

Doesn't Boston also have a marathon?  Maybe he could do it instead.

His last big trip, he got stuck for several days in China during their earthquake.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/sports/new-york-marathon-officials-determining-storms-effect-on-race.html?pagewanted=all
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:14:18 PM by pdxmike »

southern longboarder

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2012, 07:34:56 PM »
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen!"

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2012, 07:41:18 PM »
wow-lots of destruction-very sad-but if there is one thing we Mericans are good at is rallyinig around each other and rebuilding.
Hope everyone comes out on top.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »
I'm sure he is, but good point.  I'll remind him.  Especially since he's traveling from London just for the race.  

His last big trip, he got stuck for several days in China during their earthquake.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/sports/new-york-marathon-officials-determining-storms-effect-on-race.html?pagewanted=all

Boston Marathon is the oldest annual marathon in the world. Need to qualify to be official though.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »

Boston Marathon is the oldest annual marathon in the world. Need to qualify to be official though.
I knew you guys had something!  I just couldn't remember the name of it.   

It's the one that people will one day refer to as "The CCBC of Marathoning".

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen!"

Thanks for the laugh! I really really should have expected that.

But didn't.  :)

getsupngo does have a point. Growing up we regularly had our wind gauge burn out after a couple of hours pegged at 100mph. It has always confused me how other places have so much mass destruction after sitting on the top of a hill in a trailer house (next to the house we were building) watching winter storms. We did occasionally lose a few shingles from the roof and my sailboat blew away a couple of times but nothing of epic disaster. I often expected to have to walk to the school bus because my bug had blown away but it never did  ;D Though last winter my dad did have to spend 7 hours cutting trees off the driveway to get down to the county road.  Being able to fire up the wood stove to cook and heat the house while we ate everything in the freezer was a bonus.

Topography has something to do with the differences but I suspect more of it is due to the regularity of the storms. If the NW coast could go 15 years with out a huge storm there might be more mass destruction rather than a little here and there every month.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2012, 04:19:21 AM »

It is also in April so hardly a something one could jump into because NYC did not happen.  It is another two or three training cycles in the future.
Obfuscation through elucidation

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2012, 04:35:24 AM »
I still don't have power. My iPhone is almost dead. My wife is leaving tomorrow because it could be a week like this.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Water Monkey

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2012, 04:45:34 AM »
Caught the end of the Sandy swell Mon/Tues in Cocoa Beach area. There was still plenty of size but the sandbars were destroyed from all the swell during previous days. It was still fun to get out in clean waves. Hoping everyone in the NE gets out of this mess in one piece.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2012, 07:46:43 AM »
About 1/2 of my city (Peekskill) has no power. I'm charging my iPhone off my wife's Mac. Lots of trees and power lines down.

Good news: I found a local deli open with ice!

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2012, 08:17:01 AM »
Sweet pics Monkey!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2012, 08:19:32 AM »
We cancelled our NYC hotel yesterday.  Wife has been trying to get into the Marathon for 3 years and this year she is in, but the city looks a mess.  She'll loose the entry fee, but will be guaranteed entry for next year.

Amer. Airlines still blows.  They are offering to rebook without fees if we fly before end of year, after that $150 per tix re-booking fee. Airlines need to be bitch slapped and most should just close their doors.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »
This tree came down in a bathroom right next to the playground my kids play at. It downed power lines and snapped a pole in half.

* Recent Posts

post Re: 85l Sunova Carver: Gorge Review
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
lakemichiganwingfoiler
April 29, 2024, 10:30:44 AM
B-Walnut
April 29, 2024, 09:09:49 AM