Author Topic: Where would you move for a year?  (Read 12752 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Where would you move for a year?
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 04:48:13 AM »
Yea really, I'm writing it all down but will tell nobody.  I hope
much more will come.  The hawaii deal is true,  surf everyday
somewhere on the island, for the whole year.  A lot of the
mentioned places have on and off seasons, except bali.

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2012, 02:07:46 PM »
Don't know much about the rest of the planet, but I have lived in Hawaii for over 50 years.

Surf:  Kauai has the best combination of good waves and empty breaks. Maybe a bit high-performance for a beginner.

Oahu has the most quality breaks, but it is crowded.  There are many very easy places to surf.

Maui has a limited number of breaks, and though the island is not densely populated, the breaks tend to get crowded. And there is too much wind.  

The Big Island has the fewest breaks and they are widely spaced.

Living expenses: The biggest variable here is what you plan to do with your daughter.  Hawaii public middle and high schools are pretty dicey.  About 1 in 5 opt out of the public system and go private/independent. That takes applications, tests, interviews, and between 10 and 20K.  

If you're going to go public, you'll need to pick your school district carefully.  On Oahu I'd maybe try Mililani.  Newer development with newer and better rated schools and cheaper rents. The down side is rush hour traffic. It's hellish and would take you over an hour to get into town.  Since you're telecommuting that is not an issue.  It's up on the central plain, so you'd be as far from the water as possible.  Probably about 30 minutes to get to the North, West, or Town sides.  

East side is expensive, North side is beautiful but the waves get huge. Windward side is not great for stand-up.  Waianae coast schools are poor.

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

Kileki

• Waikiki Status
  • Hoe Wa'a
    • View Profile
    • hookit.com/members/tylerirwin
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »
Tahiti

Best paddlers in the world are there, and I'm willing to bet they would teach me a thing or two.  8)
Ho a’e ka ‘ike he’e nalu i ka honua o ka ‘ale
Show your knowledge of surfing on the back of a wave.
-Hawaiian Surfing Proverb

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »
Maui has a limited number of breaks, and though the island is not densely populated, the breaks tend to get crowded. And there is too much wind.  

The "too much wind" part is true, until you discover downwinding, then there's not enough. And windsurfing, kiting, etc.. I've had a few days when I couldn't find a place to surf, but they're few and far between. the winds wrap around the island and generally cancel out somewhere. Likewise, if the weather isn't good where you are, it's generally better somewhere else close by. There's always something to do in the water.

Most years the wind doesn't come up until about 11:00 AM. Last year was the exception. I learned to surf SUP in the wind, and it turns out to be kind of OK. The wind clears the lineup out. I had some of my best days last year being blown around between sets.

There's really a huge number of SUP-able breaks in Maui, they just don't have a parking lot and a name.

Right on about the school thing though. The big advantage to Hawaiian private schools is that you may have to pay for high school, but your kid can get in, you may not have to pay for college. Astonishingly high acceptance rates and scholarship levels. There's a overtone of achievement and connection with Seabury Hall on Maui, Kamehameha on all the islands, and Punahou on Oahu that is hard to overstate.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
We are hoping to try Costa Rica for 3 months this year....its gonna be a good test run for us.  I'll let you know how it goes..1 year maybe next time...
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2012, 10:11:33 PM »
Singapore.  From there I could live comfortably and quickly get out to rough areas in SE Asia that have great adventure potential.  But every time I come home, it's da best.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2012, 11:22:23 PM »
My friend is a Chiropracter and loves Thailand (he golfs) . He said he was golfing one day and was paired up with an elderly couple who said they lived there. They said they were from New York. They were living in a public housing building in a bad part of NY , they each were getting SS but thats it. They were barely surviving , had no car lived in a slum and had no hope of a good future. They said one day their friend said they should move to Thailand. They looked into it and they realized they had nothing to lose. They lived on the streets for about 6 months and saved the money they used for rent to get airline tickets. They said they now live in a nice 2 bedroom cottage and have a maid come to clean once a week. They eat out as often as they like and they golf once a week. Their quality of life has completely changed. I guess it's all about how much change you can handle ??

I have another friend who has a vacation rental on the North shore right on the water. His plan is to finish renovating the house build a cottage and find someone to take care of the daily maintenance of the rental. He has been going to Bali for 25 years and says he and his wife will be moving there. He said he will be able to live like a king there and surf insane waves as often as he likes. He said the people where he goes are very kind and giving. The food there is all freshly grown and he says his whole body changes after being there a few months. Of course he says there is nothing like Hawaii but he can always come back here for visits.

So maybe you will go somewhere and live there for a LONG time ??  never know

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 08:07:36 AM »
I can surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon, while wearing the same board shorts. It's good right here at the beach in SoCal. My in-laws live in HI, so that's out! I can only take them for a few days..... ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Supperson

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »
El Sal.....

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Where would you move for a year?
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »
Mexico in Puerto vallharta area like punta mita or sayulita.

Jim

endlessfight

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »
i know so many people that have done the 'yeah im going away for 6 months!' or a year to a certain place......and 10 years later they are still there. i think it happens more then people think it does. im pretty sure we got lots on this board as well!

i personally have had a dream for a long time to make the big move by the time i'm 35 years old. i just can't see myself working in an office until retirement. the government in canada just raised the pension everyone pays into until age 67. no way in hell will i be working that long, that is no way to live. i've always felt like we in north america tend to live way above our means. if i'm able to live in a place and have enough money to eat, sleep, and sustain yourself....then why not go for it. i know couples in parts of central america that are living comfortably on 15k a year. i have a great career that will be hard to turn my back on; but you gotta go with your gut.

i've always liked this quote.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]