Author Topic: Ouch! Hope I get to paddle soon.  (Read 6288 times)

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch! Hope I get to paddle soon.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »
Maybe a little, "It could have been worse" story might make you feel a wee bit better while you mend....

Spent 29 years in the fire service, and over those years, responded to numerous power tool incidences.  On one of them, a gentleman was using a table saw (without "Saw Stop", cool device btw) and unfortunately, got a tip of his middle finger, half of his index finger, and his thumb to the first joint slid through it.

Our onscene protocol is to have the medics and a couple of the guys from the engine co. assist with patient care, while the remaining guy(s) from the engine co. searches for the missing digits for possible reattachment.

While searching with no avail for the missing parts, and after locating the blood spot where they have fallen....the engine boys noticed a German Shepard sitting in the corner with a, "don't look at me" expression on his face.

Needless to say, the poor gentleman wasn't able to have then reattached, as they weren't going to be able to wait, or use them once they were finally "found", a day or two later.  :-\

Anyway, best wishes on complete and speedy recovery, and remember.....things could always be worse.   ;) :D

slcpunk

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 12:40:36 PM »
Maybe a little, "It could have been worse" story might make you feel a wee bit better while you mend....

Spent 29 years in the fire service, and over those years, responded to numerous power tool incidences.  On one of them, a gentleman was using a table saw (without "Saw Stop", cool device btw) and unfortunately, got a tip of his middle finger, half of his index finger, and his thumb to the first joint slid through it.

Our onscene protocol is to have the medics and a couple of the guys from the engine co. assist with patient care, while the remaining guy(s) from the engine co. searches for the missing digits for possible reattachment.

While searching with no avail for the missing parts, and after locating the blood spot where they have fallen....the engine boys noticed a German Shepard sitting in the corner with a, "don't look at me" expression on his face.

Needless to say, the poor gentleman wasn't able to have then reattached, as they weren't going to be able to wait, or use them once they were finally "found", a day or two later.  :-\

Anyway, best wishes on complete and speedy recovery, and remember.....things could always be worse.   ;) :D

Thanks for the uplift haha. Is it sad that the thought of someone else loosing their fingers and having their dog eat them is making me feel better? haha

The sad part is I'm in the fire service too been on the line for almost 7 years, seen this all to often. Thank you for your 29 years of service PaddleCrazy! Hope I'm back to work sooner than later.

I just went and looked at the piece I was cutting and realized I must not have been paying attention, cause it was very short! The shortest one I cut all day. My hand had to be a bit past the fencing. Stupid!

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
Thanks for the uplift haha. Is it sad that the thought of someone else loosing their fingers and having their dog eat them is making me feel better? haha
Nope, especially now knowing that you're one of us oddball "bruddas".  ;) :D

The sad part is I'm in the fire service too been on the line for almost 7 years, seen this all to often. Thank you for your 29 years of service PaddleCrazy! Hope I'm back to work sooner than later.

I just went and looked at the piece I was cutting and realized I must not have been paying attention, cause it was very short! The shortest one I cut all day. My hand had to be a bit past the fencing. Stupid!
Than you shouldn't be kicking yourself too badly, as I'm sure you've seen much worse when it comes to the "stupid" department.

We've all had our shining moments of carelessness, inattentiveness, and impetuous; where sometimes we come out unscathed, while other times, not......but none of that even comes close to the many things we've seen in the business, that can only be caulked up to "utter stupidity".

But if you did happen to fall into that last category.....than you must be a "B-shift Truckie"!!  LOL  ;) :D

slcpunk

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 02:27:45 PM »

Nope, especially now knowing that you're one of us oddball "bruddas".  ;) :D

But if you did happen to fall into that last category.....than you must be a "B-shift Truckie"!!  LOL  ;) :D

Dude, you're scaring me..... I'm a "B-tard" and just left the truck. All though I wanna go back. You hose jockies are scary.  ;)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »

Sorry to hear about your mishap.  Had my share and have found that hindsight can make one crazy.  As in, "boy, is it a stupid habit to have your finger on the trigger of the framing nailer in case you tap it on top of your foot."  Good word on the miter saw--I can think of something I did this weekend that was pretty stupid, but it was the saw I had out and I was too lazy to set up the table saw.  Makes me cringe how fast one of these tools can injure you.

Hope the appt went well.  Speedy recovery.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »
We(Californian) will be voting on the StopSaw bill, im all for it but dont like the idea of having one company owning all the patents to this device. The other saw company have to invest R&D if the this bill past or just pay for the patent rights.  I think in the end, the user is going to benefit from it even it cost more.  Just like seatbelt and airbags, it def have save my life once on a pretty bad crash on the fwy.

Speedy recovery.
I heard about that, and it's total BS, this isn't New York, yet, where you can't get a 16 oz. soda, or have salt on your table in a restaurant.
If it isn't an instant life threatening issue, then stay the fu(k out of the way, politicians drive me nuts!!
Who dies from a sawed off finger?  Pa-leeeese!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:22:16 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards