Author Topic: Getting a Race Board  (Read 4495 times)

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Getting a Race Board
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »
I'm 6'4" and 200 and have been paddling for about 4 years.   I have an old "fun" board, a surf-specific board and now it's time to step up and get a race board.  I like the beach start type races (BOP style, but I am not getting a 12'6"), so getting in and out of the surf is somewhat important.

I've narrowed it down to the following:

M&M 14:  I demoed the 12'6" over the weekend and loved it.  This is a great board and I had no problems with stability.  I imagine the 14 will be more of the same, but faster.

Infinity 14:  Do I go with the Whiplash? Ocean Racer? The Dart?  The web site doesn't give any specs on the boards so it is impossible to tell how wide they are or how much volume they have.

Yolo Prowler 14: I have not tried one, but they seem like good boards but even more narrow than the M&M which is pretty narrow.  Do I go with the wide?  The narrow?  I don't think stability will be a problem, but I've heard that 200 pounders like myself go faster on a wider board regardless of stability concerns.

Any thoughts on any of these boards and which direction I should go?
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a Race Board
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:37:07 AM »
definatetly go 14'
more glide to enjoy, i ride a hobie 14', i have not tried any of the boards that you mentioned, so i can't comment on them
I would add that the infinity guys are very helpful in finding the shape that will work for you
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:57:09 AM by paddlejones »

Matt Ivey

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
I am the same size as you and have had a chance to try all 3 boards.  I raced the 14' m&m and really liked it.  It was more stable than I anticipated but I felt like it needed a bit more vol for me.  But keep in mind I was racing in Tahoe so in the ocean it might be better.  I raced a custom Infinity in the San Francisco Bay on a very choppy day with a huge flood tide.  The board was great for these conditions and super stable.  It had a very wide tail that allowed the nose to be pulled in very narrow.  It was the narrowest (in front of the cockpit) board I have ever paddled and boy did it make a difference in my paddling.  The wide tail kept it super stable even in the chop.  I could literally take 3 steps back without sinking the tail.  I only get to try out the Prowler for a second in Tahoe last weekend.  It was a great looking board but not right for me.  Right now I am riding the new Boga 14' race board and really like it.  It is similar to the Infinity in that it has a nice wide tail that helps keep it stable while allowing for a narrower nose.  It is a good middle of the line board for me.  Not the fastest flat water board (board is faster than the paddler though) and not the best downwind board but a happy medium.  I can ride it on Tahoe as well as in SF Bay and be happy.  Some day I hope to have two boards to race one for the flat and one for the ocean.  But till then the Boga is perfect for me.  It is not as light as the M&M or the Infinity but it is also much cheaper.  One board I want to still demo is the Hovie Comet for flat and Comet ZX for the open water.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:24:23 AM »
Infinity race boards are made to order.  The guys at the shop sometimes have some demo ones for sale or maybe an order someone did not pick up, but in general they are made to your details.  I would say the best bet is to email Dave Boehne at Dave@infinitysurf.com if you want advice on which to pick.  Dave races all the time and is a super guy to talk with about boards and shape.  Steve (the dad) shapes all the SUP race boards.  You can also email Steve but he is a little more of the shaper and not racer, and really wants to make you a happy customer. 

The guys at Infinity have a lot of new tricks they can do that are not on their website.  They are now doing CNC stringerless boards.  My 12'6" x 26.5" weighs 16.5 lbs.  Notice how on mine it has the top of the nose shaved down, sort of just aesthetics.  I do find that the turned down nose allows more water on the deck. 

Have fun. Jill

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »
Hi Jill,

Beautiful board!! A couple of questions.. How light did you go with glassing? That weight is great. Also, do you find the down turned nose acts as a piercing design, ie m&m? Have you tried any of the other boards mentioned?
Thnx

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »
As a guy racing wise GET A 14FT

I know nothing about the infinity

But between the other 2 the M&M is by FAR the better choice

I'm a bit heavier than you but I like the Fanatic FLY race which might be worth considering if you have access to one

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

bretrwarner

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »
I raced on a 12'6" m&m this summer and loved it. I haven't tried the other two, and I agree with the length comments, but I just wanted to put in one more vote for how great the m&m design is. For what its worth I am only 175 lbs and about 6'2".
Good luck figuring it out.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 02:17:57 PM »
Corlot,

My board is double carbon with no stringer.  This is what makes it so light weight (also being a very small board). On my husband's double carbon board he did go with extra glass in the standing area.

As to testing out the other boards, I am 5'7" 110 lbs so I am not qualified to comment on how you might like them.  The thing I like best about the Infinity boards is the very deep sunken deck.  Steve will do a 2.5" sunken deck with a scupper drain.  With the low deck you can get your feet near waterline.  I much prefer the feel of paddling at water level rather than on top of a board.  The scupper hole works great and drains fast.

As for the nose.  It does work a little like a piercing nose, but not as much as an inverted.  The nose of the board still has enough volume to pop it out and keep the front end about water.  We are experimenting with a foam water deflector to keep water from boat wakes from coming into the deck area.  Seems to be working great. 

Have fun, Jill

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]