Author Topic: What sunglasses do you wear? Any tips on dealing with water spots while paddling  (Read 22913 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Grey Peahi MJs  like LPB.  I love 'em and my wife lashes a float croakie on them so after a yard sale I can retrieve.  Yeah dish soap. 

It's so bright here... I knew this windsurfer from quite a ways back named Craig Masonville from Michigan.  Used to sail Hookipa without a harness and wear welding glasses.  Guy looked like a welder too but he started Hi Tech Surf and Sport here on Maui which is now the premier store for SUP here.  They sell Ke Nalu paddles....

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
Kaenons- light, great clarity, strong, and hydrophobic.

odzilla

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
To clean glass or plastic lenses I have been using Costco's eyeglass cleaner. I bought a bottle years ago and have been refilling the bottle for free at their eye care centers. Probably refilled 2 gallons already. I also use a microfiber cloth to wipe the lenses. By using only the cleaner and microfiber cloth water spots and scratches are not a problem. Been using my Oakleys for 5 years only scratched the lenses when I accidentally sat on them. The Costco eye center people also help me straighten out the Oakleys.

SUP Viking

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've just been using cheap 10-20 dollar polarized glasses with a strap to secure them to my head.

If they get beat up too much at least i know i got my moneys worth. The salt does a number to any sunglasses.
"Fear of the uknown is the greatest fear of all, but we just went for it"

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Grey Peahi MJs  like LPB.  I love 'em and my wife lashes a float croakie on them so after a yard sale I can retrieve.  Yeah dish soap. 

It's so bright here... I knew this windsurfer from quite a ways back named Craig Masonville from Michigan.  Used to sail Hookipa without a harness and wear welding glasses.  Guy looked like a welder too but he started Hi Tech Surf and Sport here on Maui which is now the premier store for SUP here.  They sell Ke Nalu paddles....

Craig Masonville, there's a name from the past. Didn't he eventually screw up his back by sailing without a harness then went on to become a minister?

tulipcity paddle

I wear my Maui Jim's only because I have nothing else.

In reality I don't wear them much because of water spots.

Any tips on keeping them clear besides staying out of water?

Strange thing about Maui Jim's..... I tried a pair on a few years ago, liked them a lot, but after 20 minutes of wearing them, I would get a BAD headache,..... took them off and I was fine in 5 minutes......had the same thing with a few of the pairs I tried. Strange ......

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Absolutely the best.Buy,wear,and you will thank me.I tried them all,and been wearing these for a few years now. Holds up even in big surf.Get the spray stuff they sell too,don't try anything else on the lenses or you will f@#%# them up.http://www.kurtisusa.com/surfshack/index.php?l=product_list&c=1
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
the spray stuff is new,from Raincoat,haven't tried it yet,but I have been using the Raincoat paste for years.Windex and other stuff is for glass only,if you put it on plastics,it will mess them up.http://www.motosolutions.com/about.html
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have been wearing Ray Ban Baloramas for ages. They are built stout and last forever even with abuse. I did go many years with out them because I couldn't find contacts my eyes agreed with but now I have a set with my prescription from Ray Ban. I also like the wayfarer (it was my only option for ages to get my prescription put into) but they let too much light in on the sides.

trashinwb

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bombers!They float, come in a slew of styles, and at @ $40 for polarized you can't go wrong. Rain-x wipes help eliminate water spots. I thinks it causes the water to bead up an run off.

northvibe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
I have perscription Ray Bans and went PB'ing with them. Fell in a few times and they never moved off my face. Love them and I use them for everything, auto racing, water sports, running, warrior dash, etc. They are also a slightly rubbery texture, so they stay on and the big eye things give you lots of sun blocking and view. I'm on my 2nd pair in 4 years.

Look like these
http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/rb2016/w2686

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I have been wearing Ray Ban Baloramas for ages. They are built stout and last forever even with abuse. I did go many years with out them because I couldn't find contacts my eyes agreed with but now I have a set with my prescription from Ray Ban. I also like the wayfarer (it was my only option for ages to get my prescription put into) but they let too much light in on the sides.

I don't know if I'd wear them boarding (a bit on the heavy side for me), but the original ('67 era) Baloramas have to be the coolest sunglasses ever.

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

I don't know if I'd wear them boarding (a bit on the heavy side for me), but the original ('67 era) Baloramas have to be the coolest sunglasses ever.

That's much of what I love about them Been wearing them since the early 80's when I could first afford them.

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I've got some Baloramas from the late 70's, but in the water I wear their RB4034 model. Somewhat similar shape, but much lighter and the lenses are polarized.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
I've had a pair of Baloramas for years, just about wore them out.  Earpiece eventually separated from the hinge, meant to get them repaired and never did.  Gotta dig those out and send 'em in, great specs.

For paddling I just wear a cap.  Water spots drive me nuts, and I'm always worried about losing my specs, even though I'm the last guy in California that still wears a Croakie on his glasses every day.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin