Author Topic: Paddle Surf Hawaii 9'3 Ripper 1st Review  (Read 16924 times)

gkona

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle Surf Hawaii 9'3 Ripper 1st Review
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 02:54:43 AM »
Byron,
  I just got my PSH 9'3" and am hoping to get it out in the water today! We've got some overhead surf from Hurricane Bertha but the wind is onshore(pretty much par for the course out here...Nantucket, MA). What do you think about the center fin it comes with? Seems pretty flexy...I cant wait to see how she goes...I'm so stoked. Nice cutties on the ankle snappers!
kona

bagus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 04:33:20 PM »
I picked up my 9'3" Ripper last week during the nice south swell that rolled into Oahu.  I have been living in SF most of the past 6-8 months so my water time is very limited.  First day I took out the new board I had it set up with the center fin pushed all the way forward.  I am 5'10" and 180 pounds.  The board absolutely rips.  I found that I could really dig in the rail for long drawn out turns that normally would have caused me to spin out.  The board is so easy to turn and maneuver without really needing to step back off the tail.  I did find that the board was much harder to paddle into waves.. definitely pushed more water than my old 9'6" PSH.  But as with all boards you can't have it all.  The one area I did have problems was when it starting to get windy, I found myself unable to keep the nose from getting blown up and over the wave if I came up too high and was stepping back to do a cut back.  I found myself getting blown off a couple of times.  Probably just need to get used to the weight.

My advice is that this board is definitely built for steeper, faster waves. It is definitely not going to perform on flatter waves.  I would look at the all-around models if you need something to work in a wider variety of conditions.  But if you can afford a two board quiver, the Ripper and a 9'6" PSH would be killer!

If anyone is in SF, I have my 9'6" PSH here now and my buddy has the Ripper so droop me a line and you can try Blane's boards here in Cali.

Byronmaui

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 09:44:23 PM »
Gkona stoked that you got a ripper board. You are going to love it. I believe I will pull my best floater ever on this board when I get back to Maui and I will get a pic.
I let my good friend use my board while I have been on a family vacation and he called me this morning to tell me he loves it and wants me to grab him one. In the excitement of the moment I called Blaine forgetting it was Sunday morning to ask if he has anymore. They may be all gone but Blaine was gonna check. I warned my friend to get one when I did but he would not listen so he may have to wait til August. Anyone that is thinking about a ripper better get their name on the list for the shipment due in August or you may have to wait longer.

Aloha

Byron

Byronmaui

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 10:01:07 PM »
Forgot to answer your question gkona but I only rode my board once and have not played with fin setup. I am going to change the fin to a 5.0 when I get back.

Bagus I think all short boards have an issue with wind. At least that is the case with me.

Aloha

Byron

Byronmaui

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »
Picked up another ripper today for my buddy on Maui. The board is a nice blue. Will post pics when I get back.

Also a big mahalo to Blaine and Austin who I met today. Thank you for going out of your way. I saw some of the up and coming designs and I am really psyched on this board that I saw. There is nothing on the market that even remotely looks like what I saw and if it performs like it looks then watch out because this board will be everywhere.

Aloha

Byron

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 05:31:28 PM »
Hey Byron,

I see that you're still on Oahu.  Did you see any smaller shapes from Blane guys?  I hope that you are scoring some waves.  I'll be back home in August with my girlfriend.  I'll try to make it to Maui and check you out.  Take it easy!

Sam

malu

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 09:39:09 PM »
Aloha Guys,

Does anyone know if PSH has any 10'6 in stock ? and if so what colors.

Mahalo in advance!

Malu

Byronmaui

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »
Aloha Guys,

Does anyone know if PSH has any 10'6 in stock ? and if so what colors.

Mahalo in advance!

Malu

Malu

I saw 4 orange boards in the shop and cannot remember if they were 9'6 or 10'6. The boards looked good.

Aloha

Byron

Byronmaui

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 10:35:34 PM »
Hey Byron,

I see that you're still on Oahu.  Did you see any smaller shapes from Blane guys?  I hope that you are scoring some waves.  I'll be back home in August with my girlfriend.  I'll try to make it to Maui and check you out.  Take it easy!

Sam

Aloha Sam

I just got back to Maui tonight and there was no SUP in the vacation. I did realize that I need to get back to the north shore and live there or somewhere in the area. The beaches are unreal and I miss the North Shore, Laie, Goat Island, Punaluu, Crouching Lion, etc. There are soo many more untapped waves there I am drooling and me and my wife have a new 4 year plan. Sorry for rambling but I did see an awesome board for Ikaika that is going to rip. This shape is no where in the market and will definetly be the talk on the winter season. You should ask Blaine about it because I don't want to spill the pancake mix when it is not my pancakes to try. Sam I hope I SUP with you in the future.

Aloha

Byron

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »
Hey Byron,

I'm coming home in August for my nephew's 1st baby luau.  I'll try to make to Maui to check you out.   If not, there's always a next time.  After all "you can take the boy from the island, but you can't take the island out of the boy!" ;D

Mahalo'z,
Sam

Byronmaui

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 03:47:46 PM »
Hey Byron,

I'm coming home in August for my nephew's 1st baby luau.  I'll try to make to Maui to check you out.   If not, there's always a next time.  After all "you can take the boy from the island, but you can't take the island out of the boy!" ;D

Mahalo'z,
Sam

When in August? I will be up there from the 18th - 20th for the Duke and possibly the finals on 22 - 24th but depends on how my son does. Let me know if you want to hook up.

Aloha

Byron

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 03:51:26 PM »
Byron I fly in in the afternoon on the 22nd.  Maybe we could hook up if your son makes the finals for some good food and paddle.  I have to find a place on Oahu to rent boards and paddles.  Me and my girlfriend are coming empty handed.

Byronmaui

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »
I am such a bad influence.  Well I brought back the 9'3 ripper for my friend but did not get any pics because he picked it up >:(. My friend is a novice and his feedback is " Board is easy to turn and real loose in waist to shoulder high waves". I did not see him surf but I have to believe him.

An interesting observation was the board came with an 8 center fin and he said " It held tight compared to my board". Before I left I changed my center fin to a 5 but never tried it so like anything play with fin sizes for different waves.

Aloha

Byron

Byronmaui

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »
Byron I fly in in the afternoon on the 22nd.  Maybe we could hook up if your son makes the finals for some good food and paddle.  I have to find a place on Oahu to rent boards and paddles.  Me and my girlfriend are coming empty handed.

I will make you a deal. I leave the boards with you and we split the shipping back to Maui when you leave if we don't come up for the finals on the weekend. I should have 4 short boards to choose from. How is that? I will have the 9'3 ripper, 8'6 Foote, 9'0 C4 and 9'0 Lightning bolt plus paddles. You tell me what to bring up.

Aloha

Byron
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:14:33 PM by Byronmaui »

Byronmaui

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »

I will make you a deal. I leave the boards with you and we split the shipping back to Maui when you leave if we don't come up for the finals on the weekend. I should have 4 short boards to choose from. How is that? I will have the 9'3 ripper, 8'6 Foote, 9'0 C4 and 9'0 Lightning bolt. You tell me what to bring up.

Aloha

Byron

P.S. I also have the 7'0 and 8'0 foote if you dare or the freight train Kalama. ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:15:20 PM by Byronmaui »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]