Author Topic: Deck Pad -- self install -- Tips and Tricks?  (Read 13720 times)

DaddyDog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Deck Pad -- self install -- Tips and Tricks?
« on: August 18, 2007, 09:07:20 PM »
I've read the Deck Pad posts, very helpful, thanks to all. 

Will I go wrong by trying to save a few dollars and going with http://hydroturf.com/products.php?cat=Sheets%20of%20Hydro-Turf?
Can I get some pointers on how to do the install?
How much area would you recommend padding?
Exactly how thick do the pads come?
Do you need to acetone or otherwise prep the deck? 
How do you keep your finger prints off the sticky side?   
Any tips for trimming and getting smooth curves? 
Does it bubble like when applying sticky back to sails? 

Mahalo in advance. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Deck Pad -- self install -- Tips and Tricks?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:53:39 AM »
I've read the Deck Pad posts, very helpful, thanks to all. 

Will I go wrong by trying to save a few dollars and going with http://hydroturf.com/products.php?cat=Sheets%20of%20Hydro-Turf?
Can I get some pointers on how to do the install?
How much area would you recommend padding?
Exactly how thick do the pads come?
Do you need to acetone or otherwise prep the deck? 
How do you keep your finger prints off the sticky side?   
Any tips for trimming and getting smooth curves? 
Does it bubble like when applying sticky back to sails? 

Mahalo in advance. 

The pads are easier to install than sticky back on sails. I've done 3 boards now and never had trouble with bubbles under the pad.

I installed the pad on new, never waxed boards. I washed the deck with alcohol first.

I trimmed the pad using new blades in a carpet knife, with a metal straight edge as the cutting guide.

Pretty easy job.

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 07:00:41 AM »
Yulp, thats about right. Try leaving it for a bit before you surf it to. I give em' a day or 2.

The pads work great from that company, although a little stiff and uncomfy for lonnngggg paddles, but you get used to it.

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 03:47:09 AM »
I just put a pad on my board, and I had waxed it prior to that. I just cleaned  it realy well. I stated by removing the wax, and then using mineral spirits, cleaned off as much of the residue from the wax as I could. Then I left it in the Sun for 30 mins. and wiped it repeatedly with paper towels. UI then went over it with the mineral spirits again, washed it with dishsoap, minerl spirits again, and finaly dishsoap, and a clean rinse. Dried it, and then applied it. I have had no problems at all with it. Might of seemed like a little overkill with all of the cleaning, but with the price of theese deck pads, I didn;t want to see it peel up.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 05:26:34 AM »
I have a cautionary suggestion for those who might use the Hydroturf pads (the type with the lined grooves). 

Do not assume that the grooves run straight down the pad.  The pad was likely sold to you in shape that was cut (by the retailer) from a template.   Sometimes they angle the templates on the original uncut pad to yield more finished pads. 

Why is this important?  On the previous boards I had decked , I had cut a 2 inch strip out of the center of the pad (using the grooves as my cut guide) and pieced the two halves back together to get a narrower pad which held a cool shape with only a few straight cuts.  This had worked perfectly, as the lines were straight.  On my last board, however, I started my cut at one end and ended up cutting the pad in two at a severe angle.  Oh Shit!  The lines looked straight to the eye, and I was assuming this was done by machine at the factory. 

Sometimes being wrong is expensive.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 06:30:06 AM »
i went the cheap route and used a $5 yoga pad i got at the local job lot store.  trimmed it to the size i wanted and then used 3M Super 88 spray adhesive to glue it down to my new unwaxed board.  have not had a problem with it yet -- corners and edges are still stuck down nice.  as per pono bill, i do wax it every once in a while and that makes a big difference, sticky wise.
  all that said, if i had the money i'd for sure get the jimmy lewis pad.  from what i can tell it's the most advanced one out there -- it gets thicker toward the edges so you kind of have something to press your feet against that way.  my buddy has it and he loves it. 

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 07:11:39 AM »
Hi Linter,

I am going to offer an alternate opinion on the Jimmy Lewis pad.  I did not like it at all.  I should note, that it was stuck to an SOS 10' board, and that may have been part of the problem.  My complaints:

1.  The outer kick on the pad was in the wrong place for me.  Without narrowing the pad, the kick is way farther out than my parralell stance.  It assumes a pretty wide stance (which is less stable than a moderate or narrower stance).  Then when you switch to a surf stance, it (for the front foot) is in the way if you want go further towards the rail. 

2. What might be the right countour for a domed deck, might be too much for a flatter, or flat deck.  The contour (when I took an ultra wide stance so that I could feel it) felt wrong underfoot - it angled my feet uncomfortably inward.

3.  The pad was too short.  It left it so that wax or signficant additional padding would be required if you want to use the nose.  Personally, I am stoked to be rid of wax, and want my pad to offer pretty full coverage.

Of course, these are just my opinions.

Randy

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 09:51:22 AM »
randy: thanks for weighing in -- now i don't feel so bad about my $5 pad! ;D

DaddyDog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 10:53:04 AM »
Was reading the 3M FAQ lastnight, sorry I don't have the URL at the moment, but it recommended 72 hours for full bond.   The PSA (pressure sensitive adhesives) bonds at some percentage in the first 24, then 80% in the next 48 and 95% after 72 hours, so Allan's advice about waiting 2 days was solid advice.  There is some secondary bonding which takes place called wetting out.  As before I could have all my facts wrong, I'm a dog remember.

For Allan and Rand, can you give me the exact part number off of the HydroTech site which you prefer for comfort and weight and ease of application. 

Thanks again to all. 

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 02:52:38 PM »
I'm cheap.  I went with the Hydroturf seconds: 

"Hydro-Turf "B" Stock Sheets Molded Diamond - Dk.Grey
Part Number: SHTB

"B" Stock Molded Diamond Groove Sheets (40" x 62") are now available in Dk. Grey only. Slightly irregular due to air bubbles, color or brushing. Add 3M self-adhesive for $25.

Price $25.00"

I was so cheap I did not go with the 3M self-adhesive for the extra $25.  I used a can of 3M 90 spray for $12.  Sticks pretty good, enough in the can to apply same pad on two 12 foot boards.  Probably easier, less mess and less hassle to pay the $25 for the 3M backing already applied.  Good luck scraping the 3M 90 off the deck if you ever decide to remove the pad.  It sets up pretty hard.

I still have enough Hydro turf left over to pad another board especially if I get a high performance stand up potato chip in the 9 foot range.  :o

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 03:17:32 PM »
Not sure on the part number. I use the diamond cut stuff, it grips so very nice.

I pull 4 boards out of a sheet, but I only pad the middle. I like wax on the nose/tail for performance. Pads take on water, and make the board heavier. So I cut 2 10" x 31" strips and try to keep it to a minimum.

I use the "B" grade stuff on all of my personal boards, it works the same. The worst sheet Ive had so far had a 2" tear down into the side that glued down fine.
Hydro turf does a good job on the customer service side, and I will continue to use them for awhile.

Plus the pink looks bitchin'.

boots

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 09:09:14 PM »
Does the hydroturf give you much padding or is it pretty firm? What was the shipping cost for the $25 sheets and has anyone had any major blems in it? Thanks guys

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
its pretty stiff stuff. not very comfy on the feet, but mucho gippy

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 02:16:48 AM »
The Hydroturf pads are a bit of a middle ground between ultra thin production pads (around 1/8 inch) and the thicker NSI pads (which are really soft, comfy and grippy, but raise you up quite a bit as well)  I think the Hydroturf's are a nice middle ground.  They do get a bit slicker with age and use, but someone mentioned that you can lightly sand them to bring the grip back (haven't tried it). 

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 11:09:11 AM »
I still like waxed boards... all the way to the nose, easy on the toes.  ;D

* Recent Posts

post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
April 25, 2024, 09:11:14 PM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest