Author Topic: Pulled Pec muscle from paddling... anyone else?  (Read 8165 times)

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
Pulled Pec muscle from paddling... anyone else?
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »
  I went on a nice afternoon downwind run last Monday, as it cleared off. Had a SW tailwind from 15-25 kts, and an incoming tide, going with the wind, so not too many glides until I got far down the channel, but made great time.

Anyway, after going past an island in mid-channel, I decided to go into a beach about 1/2 mile from where I was, but it was 90 degrees to the wind to go straight in, and I paddled very hard on my left side, using big sweeper strokes and occasionally back-paddling on the upwind side while trying to keep the big nose of my 14' Glide pointing the right way. Made it in no problem to where a kiteboarder was getting ready to take off, then ran down a 100 yards to where I came into shore.

All good, great run and had some nice glides. Had the wife come pick me up, and later that evening at home, I started feel some pain under my left "Moob" ???. Could feel the soreness the next day, and it was better somewhat on Wednesday, until I spent a few hours crawling around on a boat I was working on, which involved laying on my belly and reaching into and pulling cables with both arms in a small space. By the end of the day (and after much cursing every time I had to move) I was wiped out and could barley move my arm.

Been slowly getting better every day, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had an injury similar to this from SUPing? We hear all the time about sore back/shoulders/elbows and such, but this was new to me.   Of course the timing sucks, as we finally have a sunny day this morning!
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Pulled Pec muscle from paddling... anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »
Bet the backpaddlin' gotcha (bow draw stroke?).  Happens once in awhile to me in ww river paddling.

Get on them weights and do some flys. ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:37:44 AM by madmax »

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:30:27 AM »
Hi RainWaves

Sorry to read about your injury, down time is a bummer ! Have you regained pain free movement in your arm after resting? Did you use ice, heat, stretching or other modality?
Any athletic trainers or physiotherapists with knowledge of kinesio taping can contribute to help healing.
The injury seems, from your history, caused by severe over exertion and should be improving by now.....but,if no progress is evident or there is persistent pain, movement limitation, swelling, redness or blackening of the region where the pectoral connects to the arm, seek MD attention.
Heal promptly !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »
That does not sound like a pull/micro tare, more like just a muscle being worked harder then it is conditioned for.  The end result is both hurt, just a pull takes a lot longer to recover from.

If your wife is up to it, try laying on your back, her on the side opposite the hurting pec.  place the palm of her hand  on your sternum with the fingers on the pec, the upper fingers against the clavicle/collar bone.  put some downward force into the palm and using the clavicle as a guide, push the palm out towards the arm till the palm runs off the body, repeat a few times.  Increase the pressure as the both of you are comfortable.  My bet is you are going to have a "OMG that hurts so good" moment, and she will get tired and stop before you have had enough
Obfuscation through elucidation

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:51:42 PM »
 Thanks for the tips and good vibes everyone! Yes, it has slowly been getting better, and there never was any sign of a tear, or anything bad like that. The pain is, and has been over my ribs, right below the nipple where the pec muscle cuts in and ends. Compared to the other side, there does seem to be a small lump right there when my arm is extended overhead.

And of course, I did everything wrong afterward (no heat, ice, etc. just Canadian aspirin and beer ;)), and instead of taking it easy for a few days, going out and over using it on Wednesday did set me back for sure. But, this is the busy season at work (I'm a boat mechanic), and was putting twin 300 Yamaha's on a customers 30' boat, and had to get it done (which I did on Friday at 5:30!).

I appreciate the idea of getting help from the wife, but that isn't likely to happen ::). I figure another week at most and I should be back up. I did try going for a quick paddle yesterday, and could feel it when paddling on both sides, which surprised me somewhat. I took it very easy, and made it short .  The biggest bummer is I have a new 14' Javelin waiting for it's first paddle. I just unwrapped it this evening, and can't wait (but will!) to take her out.

Thanks again! Pete.

Pete.

jimmyz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »
I'm still nursing a pulled peck from mid April! Too much effort in an 800 m race and not enough training for the old bod to handle.  :(

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 06:49:55 AM »
The pain is, and has been over my ribs, right below the nipple where the pec muscle cuts in and ends. Compared to the other side, there does seem to be a small lump right there when my arm is extended overhead.
Pete
Glat to hear you're improving. Regarding the area of the pain, seems to me related to intercostal muscles too, specially if you can feel the pain increase on inhalation. Take it easy on paddling, keep stretching and try to get a deep tissue/myofascial release work done there.
Be well
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:18:18 AM »
I'm still nursing a pulled peck from mid April! Too much effort in an 800 m race and not enough training for the old bod to handle.  :(

Sorry to hear that! (for you, and me too!). That is kind of what has me worried, is that this will be a long healing period. I had an elbow "issue" last Spring that took me 8 Months to get over, but fortunately wasn't paddle related, and didn't bother me while on a board. Hope you recoop soon!

@ balance_fit:

Thanks for the continuing advice, and yes, I can feel it when inhaling deeply, but it is very mild at this point. Will try to work on the massage angle when possible. I can just hear my smart-alec son now: "dad's playing with his Moobs again" :D ;D.
Pete.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 08:54:30 AM »
Hey guys, always a pleasure to help fellow paddlers stay healthy. Those sudden injuries are always treatable, better not letting them become chronic=time out of water...(TOOW) !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »
Welcome to the reality of getting old. When I started racing SUP's, I had a bad habit of trying to catch myself on the board with one hand as I was falling in. It happened about 3 times in a ocean race, my pectoral muscle was strained or torn. It took months to heal. Now when I feel myself going in, SUS'g or racing, I don't grab the board! (I always seem to fall off the left side of the board?) As far as cross winds go, the longer the board, the more brutal the paddle. I feel your pain brother.....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin