Author Topic: Switching from a PSH 9'6" Wide Ripper to a ? Advice Please  (Read 6415 times)

MB Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Switching from a PSH 9'6" Wide Ripper to a ? Advice Please
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:23:09 AM »
I've been surfing a PSH 9'6" Wide Ripper on and off for about a year.  I surf a steep beach break in So Cal.

After knee surgery I've finally got to admit that this board is a bit much for me.  I can stand on it fine in flat water or in glassy days, but I fall off the damn thing too often in the lineup on normal mixed swell days.   I'm 57, 6'2" and 195 lbs.

My go-to board is a 10'6" PSH Wide All Around that is so stable I could sleep on it.  But, it's too long.

I'm thinking about a 9'6" PSH wide all around, 9' Blair or 9'6" Nectar.

I would truly appreciate advice for strong surfing, but stable boards,9'6" or under.

Thanks

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Switching from a PSH 9'6" Wide Ripper to a ? Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:36:10 AM »
look at the Fanatic AllWave 9'6 (or even a 9'2) rides like a fish rail to rail fast down the line but stable going out and waiting for a wave.

For a bit more drive (less slash) look at the Cabrinha C'series 9'8

Just a thought. If you have more detailed questions feel free to PM me here
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

surfslider

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »
I tried a friends 9-6 King's Crossover.  Very stable board.  Too big for me at 155 but my friend is about your weight and does well with it.  Carves good.

Rocker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
The PSH 9'6 waa is a great board and once on the tail it surfs like the Wide ripper. But is more stabil and might exactly be what you are looking for. The PSH Bamboo 9'11x31' Wide ripper is also really nice! It is my chopkiller. A guy here loved the rides on the 9'6 Wr but jsut hated the waves he missed. Now he is a happy camper with the 9'6 WAA

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:16:08 AM »
I have both a PSH 9'6 Wide Hull Ripper and a PSH 9'6 Wide AA. Love them both but they are totally different boards. The Hull Ripper is a great hard core performance board for good waves and good conditions. BUT... AA is just a GREAT ALL AROUND BOARD!! Here in Florida we get lots of smaller days or days with wind. Perfect for the 9'6 Wide AA...it turns great and noserides really well!! I probably ride it 65% of the time!!  And BTW, I'm 6'2, 215 lbs. and have no problem with volume or stability.. Good luck with your choice!  But if you get a chance at least try to get a test drive on the 9'6 WAA...I think you will like it....TDE

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:49:34 AM »
The Blair would be a good choice (maybe the wider 8-10?) - definitely try it since Joe loans boards out free for demos.  I'm currently on a Coreban Fusion and it might work for you too - PM me and we could always connect and you can try mine (usually surf La Jolla Shores - dawn patrol on Saturdays is the best bet). 

Are funds an issue?  If not go custom?  I've got a Dave Craig on order right now - the ones I've tried were surfy and stable; lots of them at LJS and you can probably call Mitch at Mitch's Surf Shop and see if he has a demo for you.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:16:47 AM »
Go up 2 inches in width.

The PSH WAA doesn't add any width. The nose and vee differences wouldn't make enough difference in stability.

Kepa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »
The 9-6 WAA with a fuller nose is a good option, but if you aren't wedded to a length requirement, I would go with the 9-11 Wide Ripper.  It has the rocker profile and performance pedigree to get you into the steep waves you surf coupled with a very stable and popular paddling platform.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 01:37:01 PM »
South County 9 footer, or black dragon.
Stand Up Paddle Sports Jammer or Stoke Wide.
Haven't heard any bad reviews on these 4. It also sounds like you may be ready for a custom.  That kind of fine tuning may only be available along those lines.

locnlod

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »
I've been SU surfing for a year now...47, 5'10", 165. Most of the time at C St or San O. I started on the 8 10 SB Widepoint which was fun but felt a little corky and had its limitations for me. So I purchased the PSH WD Ripper and realized that I bit off more than I could chew. When in a wave the thing was fun, but otherwise a constant fight for me. My world changed when I demoed Wardog's 8'6" x 31" Carbon Jammer. Not only is that thing super stable, very low swing weight, and very responsive, it allows me to do things in a wave I never thought I could pull off...so I bought the Featherlite Carbon version. I've had it in mush to head high as a quad and with the nubster in the center...Fun Fun Fun! :D

I do know that Wardog is now making a custom version for a big guy...#240+...IMO probably worth a demo... ;D   

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 04:22:19 PM »
I've been SU surfing for a year now...47, 5'10", 165. Most of the time at C St or San O. I started on the 8 10 SB Widepoint which was fun but felt a little corky and had its limitations for me. So I purchased the PSH WD Ripper and realized that I bit off more than I could chew. When in a wave the thing was fun, but otherwise a constant fight for me. My world changed when I demoed Wardog's 8'6" x 31" Carbon Jammer. Not only is that thing super stable, very low swing weight, and very responsive, it allows me to do things in a wave I never thought I could pull off...so I bought the Featherlite Carbon version. I've had it in mush to head high as a quad and with the nubster in the center...Fun Fun Fun! :D

I do know that Wardog is now making a custom version for a big guy...#240+...IMO probably worth a demo... ;D   

Gracias bro,
Yeah, we can make just about anything in the custom realm...standard epoxy or lightweight and durable carbon...
Robert's 9' x 33" Jumbo Jammer is looking pretty killer...

http://surfingsports.com/images/carbon_jumbo_jammer1.jpg

The poster MB Sup could also look at our production 8'10" x 32" WD Wide...9'2" x 32" WD Wide...or, the wider 32" version of our extremely popular 9'6" x 30.5" Stoke...all quad + 1...set up with my custom bamboo core flex fins...shown side by side below...

These are standup wave boards...not, standup/falloff boards...and, not paddle on your knees boards...or, sit down and rest boards...;-)

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2011/12/more-new-sup-board-pics.html

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2011/09/supsports-new-sup-models.html

Carbon info here:

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2012/03/new-carbon-sups-2.html

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2012/04/wide-carbon-sups.html
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
And the question on my mind... you selling that 9'6"?

MB Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
Yes I'm selling the 9'6". 

It's been surfed about 20 times.  Perfectly clean except for a glue smudge from my knee brace.  White with black and white camo.

The board's in South Bay.  I'll meet you within 60 miles.  Price for a new one is $1.275.  What'll you give me.

Doug

MB Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 04:57:25 PM »
Warddog:

Your response is classic.  For me, I've got a stand up and fall off board.

i'll call you.

Doug

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »
Wardogs boards look great and I think he and Joe Blair have nailed the length and width thing.  Looking forward to checking out Wardogs boards when I get down to SB.  I have demo'ed a few fun wave boards.  the 9'5" Naish mana was a bit corky, and I had a hard time with it on 2-3 ft overhead waves.  too much board!!
 I am 5'10" 195.  Tried both the 8'10" wide and the 9'6" Blair boards and loved em both.  The 8'10" was incredible in head hi+, but was less stable once the chop picked up.  I bought the 9'6" , mainly because it surfed great and was really stable in chop too.  It was a better choice for me, cause I end up paddling to different breaks nearby.  Give Joe a call and demo them all.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin