Author Topic: Where to stay in San Diego .  (Read 9627 times)

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Where to stay in San Diego .
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 08:32:58 PM »
Couple more places for eats: Stone Brewery in Escondido (good food, family atmosphere, and good brew) - make reservation now.  Georges on the Cove in La Jolla - excellent view especially at sunset. Marine Room in La Jolla - go at high tide.  If price is no issue hit the Sky Room in La Jolla (also at sunset).  Favorite breakfast joints - Park House Eatery (no. 1 choice) followed by Cafe on Park.  Best tacos - Tacos El Gordo (for authentic tacos second only to Mexico) or South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach (if you want good grub and hippy beach atmosphere).  And finally Mitch's Seafood for cheap and good seafood with cool view of the boat docks.

Cool things to see - Balboa Park, the zoo, wild animal park in Escondido, a Padres game (they probably won't win but it's a great park), Torrey Pines Glider Port (hang gliders launching over the ocean).  

you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions (except don't eat at Bali Hai - just enjoy the view!) - have fun!

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Where to stay in San Diego .
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »
Couple more places for eats: Stone Brewery in Escondido (good food, family atmosphere, and good brew) - make reservation now.  Georges on the Cove in La Jolla - excellent view especially at sunset. Marine Room in La Jolla - go at high tide.  If price is no issue hit the Sky Room in La Jolla (also at sunset).  Favorite breakfast joints - Park House Eatery (no. 1 choice) followed by Cafe on Park.  Best tacos - Tacos El Gordo (for authentic tacos second only to Mexico) or South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach (if you want good grub and hippy beach atmosphere).  And finally Mitch's Seafood for cheap and good seafood with cool view of the boat docks.

Cool things to see - Balboa Park, the zoo, wild animal park in Escondido, a Padres game (they probably won't win but it's a great park), Torrey Pines Glider Port (hang gliders launching over the ocean).  

you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions (except don't eat at Bali Hai - just enjoy the view!) - have fun!

Got a new Chef and menu at the Bali Hai since the remodel. Food's good there now. As to the mai tais...  :P one and done is my rule!

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Where to stay in San Diego .
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 09:48:24 PM »
Watch out for the service at Stone... I've had to call the front desk to have them send someone to our table to take our order while on the patio. I have had two good and one so-so server there since then tho. 

StuBro

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 10:43:06 PM »
I love this food debate of SD.  There's no loser's here; just all of us that get to eat at these places!  I love the North Park poster as that place is totally different and cool since I first knew it in the early 90's.  I love the OB comments and all the usuals from around town.

I'll throw in a couple more:

Best Bloody Mary = Shakespeare's on India Street

Best Bay Front Deal = The Fish Market.  Yeah, there are the cheesy parking meters here but I've been going here for over 15 years from when I walked there from a glass tower downtown.  It's got absolutely amazing fish, it's right on the water, and is also next to the new Midway Carrier Museum which is really pretty cool and visitors love.

Surfer44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 04:55:26 AM »
Keep the list going. I'm compiling all the places for when we go there next month. TIA
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
 but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW, what a ride!!!

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 07:06:37 AM »
Maybe SD is the place for the first ever Stand Up Zone International Meet Up?

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »

Best Bloody Mary = Shakespeare's on India Street

You reminded me of another place for grub (especially breakfast) - the Tractor Room (get the buffalo quesadilla and the corn bread).  Also a place for great a great Bloody Mary.  Make sure you go when you're hungry - they don't know the meaning of a small portion...

PiratesSayARRR

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »
I'll throw a couple of more restaurants into the mix.

Breakfast:
Snooze. Located at 5th and Washington. Just really good and reasonably priced breakfast. Get there early (pre 8am) or be prepared for a long wait.

The Mission. A few locations including Mission Beach, Downtown and North Park. Cheap and excellent food. Get there early on the weekends. It isn't too crowded during the week though.

Lunch/Dinner/Bars:
Slater's 50/50. Located in Point Loma. Their becoming famous for the 50/50 burger which is 50% beef and 50% bacon. It's pretty damn delicious. Paddle about 6-8 miles before hand to burn off those calories.

Tender Greens. Located in Point Loma (close to Slater's). It's a walk-up cafeteria style restaurant. The food is so good, fresh ingredients (chicken, steak, ahi) and their mashed potatoes are pretty spot on.

Hamilton's Tavern (21+). Located in South Park. Tons of craft beers that they rotate. They also have killer grilled cheese sandwiches.

The Regal Beagle. Located next to Blue Water Seafood off of India. Great craft brew selection and tasty sausages.

The Linkery. Located in Northpark. Good beer selection and often have some cask ales available. Also have very tasty sausages but feels fairly pricey. Worth noting because the food is good.

Craft and Commerce. Located in Little Italy. These bar tenders know their stuff. Wide selection of burbons and ryes. Good food too and cool decor.

Speakeasys:
We have a couple of speakeasys in San Diego both of which are downtown.

Prohibition - located on 5th. Reservations through their website are recommended.
Nobel Experiment - Located at Neighborhood entrance via their keg wall.

Surfer44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »
SO far:
Stone Brewery in Escondido (good food, family atmosphere, and good brew) - make reservations now.
Georges on the Cove in La Jolla - excellent view especially at sunset.
 Marine Room in La Jolla - go at high tide. If price is no issue hit the Sky Room in La Jolla (also at sunset).
 Favorite breakfast joints
Snooze. Located at 5th and Washington. Just really good and reasonably priced breakfast. Get there early (pre 8am) or be prepared for a long wait.

The Mission. A few locations including Mission Beach, Downtown and North Park. Cheap and excellent food. Get there early on the weekends. It isn't too crowded during the week though.
Park House Eatery (no. 1 choice)
Cafe on Park. Best tacos –
Tacos El Gordo (for authentic tacos second only to Mexico)
South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach (if you want good grub and hippy beach atmosphere).
Mitch's Seafood for cheap and good seafood with cool view of the boat docks.
Phil's BBQ - ..if you go around 11:30am during the week you will get in timely.

Lucha Libre - Delicious Taco shop on Washington. Parking can be a pain but it is oh so worth it for a Surfing California Burrito.

Hodad's - Located in OB (original) and Downtown
 The best burger in San Diego at Rocky's).

Blue Water Grill on India Street. Fresh and delicious fish. Probably will have a line unless you hit up a late lunch/early dinner.

Pizza Port - Located in OB. Great pizza, lots of beer and kid friendly.

Tractor Room (get the buffalo quesadilla and the corn bread)
Bali Hai one night for the sunset and 1-2 mai tais (lethal),
Italian at Little Italy, around the corner (get a reservation).
Lunch/Dinner/Bars:
Slater's 50/50. Located in Point Loma. Their becoming famous for the 50/50 burger which is 50% beef and 50% bacon. It's pretty damn delicious. Paddle about 6-8 miles before hand to burn off those calories.

Tender Greens. Located in Point Loma (close to Slater's). It's a walk-up cafeteria style restaurant. The food is so good, fresh ingredients (chicken, steak, ahi) and their mashed potatoes are pretty spot on.

Hamilton's Tavern (21+). Located in South Park. Tons of craft beers that they rotate. They also have killer grilled cheese sandwiches.

The Regal Beagle. Located next to Blue Water Seafood off of India. Great craft brew selection and tasty sausages.

The Linkery. Located in Northpark. Good beer selection and often have some cask ales available. Also have very tasty sausages but feels fairly pricey. Worth noting because the food is good.

Craft and Commerce. Located in Little Italy. These bar tenders know their stuff. Wide selection of burbons and ryes. Good food too and cool decor.

I would also consider heading out to Cabrillo Monument. There are some really good tide pools (so go when the tide is out). Entry is $5 cash for your car.
 Incidentally it is also where a fun surf break Little Waimea is located when the swell is up.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
 but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW, what a ride!!!

Gaucho

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »
Carlsbad has a lot of hotels...near Legoland and a couple shops in Leucadia that rent Sups.  Carlsbad lagoon for flat water...south jetty in Carlsbad by power plant Sup surfing.  Nice downtown area near beach and not too far from San Diego, Sea World, Zoo and Balboa Park

TourmoSUPr

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »
As a father of a tweener and teen raised in PB and La Jolla, yours will love the PB area, just keep them off Garnett after 9 pm! Some nice little hotels in north PB and south La Jolla near Windansea.

As a fellow Blair rider, well worth the drive to go see Joe. Just call ahead and make sure he is around.

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »

Aloha Stand Up Paddle in Leucadia CA is happy to host it.
Who wants to come to San Diego?

www.AlohaStandUpPaddle.com

Aloha,
Tom English

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »
Hey I want to thank everyone for the great tips!

I booked a room at the Dania that I can cancel at the last minute if I want. 

I found this place on airbnb for about the same price.  It looks nice and close in La Jolla but really not sure about its local? 

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/409683

Do you think this would be better than the Dania ?   Whats the best place to rent a board?  Could I do dawn patrol from this place while my kids sleep in  by walking to the beach? 

Thanks Again

Jim

T-Boy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 11:27:25 PM »
Great post everyone, makes me want to take my next vacation in S.D. Great idea for a SUZ meet up Tom  8)

Angulo 14x28 carbon custom
JL 8-11 Striker
Hobie 8-11 CM Torque
L-41 8-0x30.5 ST

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 07:28:11 AM »

Aloha Stand Up Paddle in Leucadia CA is happy to host it.
Who wants to come to San Diego?

www.AlohaStandUpPaddle.com

Off topic but are you guys where the Longboard Grotto used to be?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 28, 2024, 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf