Author Topic: My take on 6'6 Impossible  (Read 21965 times)

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: My take on 6'6 Impossible
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »
Im going to vacuum bag corecork sandwich with fiberglass and carbon. 

thanks DW,
On those measurement to the tail, is it measure from tail to the trailing edge of the fin?
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »
i found this Probox quad sup diagram, if i follow their guideline; about 11.875" for the front box 6.25" , both trailing edge 1" from the edge, front fin and back fin 1/4" & 3/16" toe-in. does this looks good? thanks

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »
i found this Probox quad sup diagram, if i follow their guideline; about 11.875" for the front box 6.25" , both trailing edge 1" from the edge, front fin and back fin 1/4" & 3/16" toe-in. does this looks good? thanks

The measurement is to the rear of shapers mark. The shapers mark is the 4 1/2" long pencil line used by the glasser to locate the box jig. So yes, its the rear of the fin too.

1/4" toe on front and 1/8" toe on rear is more common. 8 and 6 degree cants, or 6 and 4 degrees.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »
here is a little update from couple late night work, 6oz under the cork.  I was trying out different tint and pigment since the outside will be cover in CF, i didnt care much what the cork looks like.

bottom cork vacuum on with red(more like pink on the white eps foam) tint

both top and bottom cork is on

notice how the blue tint resin fill in the cavities on the cork but the blue tint looks like mold on the cork.

I still need to sand down where the top and bottom cork meets and it will be ready for the exterior CF layer. Also i should have measure the shaped blank before i took delivery, just measure the thickess part and it 4" on the thickest part. after the cork sandwich, i might able to get to 4.25", still .5" short on my orignal design.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 01:40:50 PM »
Pretty cool project!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

surfniels

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • surfniels.blogspot.com
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 09:34:13 AM »
You must be single or maybe  you have very patient wife..
My wife would have absolutely killed me if I took a project like that inside the house !  ;D

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
yup one of the good thing being single.  The garage is a bite dust so i like to bring it in for lam but i do the sanding outside.  Got half of the cork rail sand down last night. Probably do the top CF lam over this weekend and set the finboxs by Monday.Hopefully i can ride this thing by next weekend assuming the epoxy have harden enough.  Also i still trying to figure out the finish if i want tinted gloss coat, sanded finish or a pigment gloss coat finish or do a light weight microballon fill coat/sanded finish.

VonR

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
surfinJ, you can have some luck finding one at http://www.gongsup.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
Note that you will find a lot of info on this forum (in French) on the design & evolution of these ShortSUPs and the technique to ride them

I have just sold the 6'8" in the picture to a guy from tahiti who was visiting France, I hope to have its replacement with me for my trip to Seignosse 18-25 June... but I wont have any to sell :-(

Here my next 6'8" in the hand of the shaper: Patrice Guénolé

Colas'

How is the new 6'8"? It looks similar to my 6'10". Yours looks a like it has the wide point a little farther fwd with the tail brought in a little narrower. My board is a lot of fun for steep little beach break conditions.

Aloha,
Jeff
Aloha,
Jeff

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
How much weight did you pick up vacuum bagging the cork on?

Regards,
Bob

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »
i didnt weight the cork but i did weight the glass layer(so i can get a measurement of 40:60 fiber to resin ratio). but the cork is supposely 16lb per cube feet(?? unsure about the unit). i use about 850g total epoxy on the both top and bottom interior lam(6oz fg).  I follow dw's advice and use a wetout table so not all epoxy went on the board but the top cork layer i did wetout the glass on top of the cork using the wetout table which soak up quite a bit of resin.  That is why my bottom cork pic doesn't have much bleed through while the top cork pic have alot of bleed through.  i think the bleed through help fill in the cravites in the cork which makes a stiffer sandwich which i want on where im standing.
I did some test fg/cork/carbon piece and they are really stiff compare to just fg/cf piece

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
Colas'

How is the new 6'8"? It looks similar to my 6'10". Yours looks a like it has the wide point a little farther fwd with the tail brought in a little narrower. My board is a lot of fun for steep little beach break conditions

Alas, we were plagued with the flattest summer I can remember, and wasn't able yet to go on vacations. Managed to catch some 1 foot session, the board seem to have a tad more drive and be faster than the previous one, (flatter rocker and a tad less curve in the hips). The board definitely wants to be pumped to work (you must drive the board, not let it glide). The reactivity and lightness of the full carbon construction is insane, can't wait for fall waves and trips...

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
got the bottom cf layer on, need to sand the rail down and put on the top cf tomorrow and hot coat on sunday. hope i can get it the fin boxes install by sun or monday of next week.
i saw the video that DW post at swaylocks forum.  It is a video of Nelson sailboard factory, vacuum bagging their board.  Really helpful, almost have a flawless finish with just a clear plastic sheet over the wet CF and vacuum down with some poly breather cloth. Thanks again DW for posting that video.

my garage is a mess, need to sell bunch of stuff to clear some space.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:39:16 AM by Ucycle »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 10:30:36 AM »
nice one looks great did you go for just a carbon over the top of the cork? i think im going to be giving the cork a go to see what its like although i may just go for it on the deck looking forward to seeing it finnished!

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 11:13:08 AM »
i kinda went over kill on this build, 6oz fg underneath the cork both deck and bottom.  No fg on top of the cf, i just have to be careful on my sanding. the vacuum finish on the cf is pretty smooth and flat just a couple pin holes that i need to fill. the only way to avoid pin holes is to do vacuum infusion but that require a infusion epoxy and flow medium.

i guess the next build im going to run 3oz fg internal and 6oz exterior with a deckpatch. With just the cork with internal 6oz fg, it felt pretty strong already so with those adjustment i probably could drop a pound of glass and epoxy. I use about 400g of epoxy and 350g of 6oz fabric(cf or fg) per layer

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]