Author Topic: where do you sup???  (Read 25390 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
where do you sup???
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »
Ok  a  lot of us are from far away places others close by.  most of us will never get to some places where others sup regularly.
For instance sup the creek is from cape cod he sounds like one a few  who sup there and  his description of the brakes and the rivers and bays sound pretty cool. I wan tot hear more about all these places. who knows maybe i will win that lottery yet.  so I'll start

Terramar north ( power plant)   what we call dolphin house,  nice wave best  on  a west. peaky over a rock reef  with section that are slow or sometimes bullet fast.   sand bars on the inside.   Very low key  sup friendly. blows out early   water 57 winter sometimes 70 in summer,, also Carlsbad lagoon  nice in the evening when the speed boats have gone home.

Who's next lets hear about  you gem.  you don't have to name names  though... 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SUPsurferFL

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: where do you sup???
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:48:38 AM »
Surf Breaks

#1 Ponce Inlet / New Smyrna Beach FL: Best waves in all of Florida, possibly the entire E. Coast depending on who you ask. There are nice long jetties on both sides of the Inlet, so depending on the direction of the wind, you can choose sides and get a more protected area resulting in more groomed waves over a nice set of sand bars, when it's really pumping it breaks way outside at several spots down a nice long stretch of beach where people can spread out, but typically the best rippers are found right up on the jetty where it typically is a bit larger than anywhere else. Vibe is rather chill, SUP friendly, by far my favorite spot.

#2 Venice Jetty (Gulf Coast FL): Best Gulf Wave I have ever ridden, when it's really good it can seem like you are on the E. Coast, this spot also has a very large jetty, possibly the largest man made structure on the entire Gulf Coast. When the wind is out of the North, I typically will make the drive down there to get a more protected and groomed wave.

Flat Water: I have many options living in the Tampa Bay area but none of them offer the tranquility of Fort Desoto Park, this place is a SUP heaven, as it has lush greenery, tons of wild life, both protected and open water sections, endless possibilities, and good for all skill levels, you can have a nice leisure stroll through the protected areas where you’ll notice lots of manatee, dolphin, shark, rays, turtles, you name it; or you can paddle out into the open water to challenge yourself with the wind, current, chop, boat wakes etc., it’s my go to spot when the wave machine isn’t working. I like to go for nice long paddles in and around the small islands, it’s an ideal location to explore and bring a cooler and post up on your own little island, also it’s fun to bring a fishing pole and explore the area while catching fish from your SUP

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:53:05 AM »
Most recently, the Sandy River from Dabney park to Lewis & Clark, with two very goofy friends.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

endlessfight

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
Lake Huron is my bread and butter. Where i SUP the most, and where i learned how to surf.
Sometimes i'll venture to other great lakes as it's about a 3 hour drive for me to Erie or to Lake Ontario, depending on the swell.

my non-surf local spot is in Salinas Grandes Nicaragua. I bought some land there last year and it's my getaway for good ocean waves and warm water!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »
On a NW swell, I LOVE [spot name deleted] otherwise known as Tim's NW swell secret spot.

On a SW swell, I really like [spot name deleted] otherwise known as Tim's SW swell secret spot.

On a South swell, Dog Patch is fun.

Go out and get some!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

[MB] SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »
North or south side of Manhattan beach pier. On any given weekend, you could find me plus a half dozen of us up by 24th st between MB and porto.

Todd
8'5 Hokua
9'1 PSH hull ripper pro
9'6 X 2 Nalu
10'6 Isle

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »
I'm in a nice centralized spot here in Mass. It opens up a lot more chance of waves. Swell from almost any direction is at most an hour drive. Without traffic I can get to north shore (of Boston) breaks in about an hour and 15. I rarely get up there though because if its working there the Cape is on too and it a bit closer, under an hour.

The Cape has so many great spots for surf and flatwater. Great for downwind too.

South Shore of Boston has great spots too but swell window is smaller because of the Cape. Closest spot (15 mins) and most rare to break is Plymouth beach...(no worries about secret spots still rare to see anyone else surfing it). I'm still waiting for a big day when I can make the call to get others to join me. When it hits just right it's a place that few can match. Multiple shoals inside and a 2 mile sandbar at the mouth of the harbor. Usually freaky mix of waves and current there but some long fun rides.

I hit Rhode Island frequently too. I work in Providence so dawn or late afternoon are possible.

Here's a rough 50 mile radius of my house. Pretty cool playground if you like water.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:14:00 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »
 In the ocean....   (have to have a smart-ass in the bunch)   ;D           Paddle on,     JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »
Cape of the Cod, Barnstable... right in the middle of Stoney's red circle. Just getting back into it so I'll be exploring outward once I get into shape.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:43:50 PM »
My name says it all.
Now will you Zoners please give me some competition at the reef?

I'm throwing the gauntlet down!

(I grew up surfing one of Tim's secret spots.  Every time he mentions it, I chuckle inside.  Secret Spot...Bah!
It will drill you, however.)
:p

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »
Mainly Dpatch/Sano
Sometimes Tims secret spots if he lets me ::)
Trying to hit Boludos secret spot next big SW swell
Trails during summer when sano gets to be too much and i dont feel like traveling-its fun to play Whack-a 909er there!

Not sure whats going on at Old Mans-not to bring up a sore and tired subject-but there have been some rumors floating around about the lifeguards not really enforcing the ban there lately-anyone heard anything?-as i was driving away today i saw a fellow supper daring to ply the surf at 4 doors-my favorite SW spot, could the OK sign be going the way of the Dodo!?
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 04:25:48 PM »
My name says it all.
Now will you Zoners please give me some competition at the reef?

I'm throwing the gauntlet down!

(I grew up surfing one of Tim's secret spots.  Every time he mentions it, I chuckle inside.  Secret Spot...Bah!
It will drill you, however.)
:p

Cardiff,

I will come down and play with you some time.  As to my NW "secret spot" ... just don't want to put its name on a bulletin board... it DOES amaze me though how incredibly uncrowded it is.  It kind of regulates itself though :)

Tim

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »
Mainly Dog Patch for me too.

Although I frequent a special spot at Trails frequently as well.

There a little beach break in north San Clemente I like thats hollow and fast and not too crowded that I try to hit often when time is short and I need to get some top turns (and slams) in.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:15:28 PM by sup_surf_giant »
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »
I hear ya Strand Leper.  My spot is no secret at all but for how amazing the spot is, you'd think it would be packed and it's not.  So I like to keep it that way without broadcasting.  However, anyone in SoCal can PM me and I'd meet up with them.  Seems to work well with SW.  NW can be good but sometimes it doesn't let up and getting caught inside can be tough.

A lot of good spots in Carlsbad to Cardiff.

I just hit DogPatch today.  Had a good time in the chop.

TDoc

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • surfinoregon.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »
Charging @ Willamette River...except for now as I separated my shoulder last night in my martial arts class.

Lame.

Doc

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
Today at 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin
Today at 05:27:16 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest