Author Topic: short to longer  (Read 24083 times)

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: short to longer
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2012, 08:35:36 AM »
Go long, much more glide...if you're in less than perfect waves, the extra length helps carries your momentum thru flatter sections, more surfing, more flow, more fun.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »
This is a great thread, with a banquet of food for thought.  My efforts on narrower boards were a great experiment and confirmed the value that wide has for me.  The variety of SUP boards I've seen out in the line up is truly broad, and is probably the reason manufacturers are salivating with the emergence of out sport.  There are so many configurations and variations that might work for us, both as the "one board" and as a special board for a certain kind of swell.  The opportunity to sell more has definitely arrived.

I rode a 10 foot Weber for 8 years in all kinds of conditions.  It worked fine for most everything, and great on those head high glassy days.  I'm really looking for it's equivalent in sup, at whatever that size turns out to be.  My SoCo Turtle has come pretty close, much better than I could have dreamt when I was shopping in the beginning.

Truth be told, I love the discussion as much as anything.  It shows off the diversity of the Zoners.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »
I have to agree. it seems that sometime guy  you talk to in the water or onshore and friendly but fairly short.  I also rode a weber among many other boards Mine was a 9'10 performer. If you are looking for a sup weber here is a possibility. The company is called real surf on the pch in Oceanside. I walked in an  he had a weber performer hanging over the door. I said wow that looks like a weber performer. he said yeah it is.  so we start talking   it ends up about sup.  he says let me show you this  we go out look at his tuck he pulls out a  sup sized weber performer. His name is Shaun Ambrose,  he  actually shaped the performer that  I own. 

So tell me what board you  have owned I love t o hear about different  sup shapes
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »
Shea Weber has a few models of Sups that he's patterned after his longboard line up.  He sent me the cad layout for a performer-sup that would have been really tempting had it been about 3 inches wider.  Both my son and I longboard on Weber stylists and we've been really happy with them (until I started this SUP addiction).  I've even inquired in the past about a blown up feather fastback but I still would need to widen it up to 32.5 or 33 to be functional for me.  The Mahalo X-Wide is pretty close outline wise. 

Shawn has some pretty nice boards, and a nice selection of photos of them at his web site.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin