Author Topic: Why aren't more women in SUP? Here is one answer.  (Read 11636 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why aren't more women in SUP? Here is one answer.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 10:11:22 AM »
It is Admin's forum and as he has displayed in the past with his treasure chest of stunning pictures, his outlook isn't Victorian.

That being said, threads like the one in question can tread on sensitivities... male and female.  I posted on it, that I knew the gal in heel's father and that they were all someone's daughter.  My hope was, without telling anyone what to do, that the gallery would keep  to a tasteful roar and I thought it did.  When people go over the line in this forum, and they occasionally  do, most members pounce.  It's a solid crowd here, fairly smart, mostly married and self-correcting.  I don't think we need any censors either.

As far as women shying away from paddling, that's laughable here.  I can't speak for the where the poster is coming from, but here (Maui), I'd say it's at least 50/50.  Paddling anything is a long tradition here that has never made any distinction as to sex.  We have many  women that SUP paddle inter-island (I never have). One that I know is 57.  Many kick my ass on the water, so I have nothing but respect.  This isn't the land of shrinking violets.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
I agree with the OPs sentiments.  I make a conscious effort not to deal with brands that use women's bodies to sell their products.  I would much prefer if a company could convince me of the inherent quality of their product through example and endorsements.  
The thread is embarrassing.  It does 3 things: objectifies women, cheapens the quality of this awesome site, and causes blood to flow into the penis of some of this sites users.  To each his own though.
As a site sponsor, my apologies to anyone who finds the thread offensive.
That said, I would prefer to keep the site as free and open as possible.    :)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »
Grow up...why the hell would I want to do that? I told my wife before we married that if she ever noticed that I stopped looking at attractive women she could start nailing the coffin closed. Men that say they don't look are the ones that I tell my girls to watch out for. Because they're lying. Millions of years of evolution can't be swayed by your opinion.

Promote a healthy perspective...yours? Seriously?  I raised two daughters to be independant strong women. They can laugh at the guys drooling over pictures of women for what it is...human nature. The tougher the women the more she could care less about this. I'm all for equality in every possible way. Do you really think that women don't objectify men? I wasn't a big fan of the Hot Chicks post either. Like Raf I don't care for products that use sex to sell. But censoring to meet you idea of what is correct....no thanks.

As for more women SUPpers....you have no idea what you're talking about....this sport has more women coming to it than any similar sport. Probably 70/30 guys to gals here but the girls are catching up quickly.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:32:10 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 10:34:59 AM »
You know I just went back to the original poster for the HotChicks thread to really grasp what the fuss is about.  The post was titled Hot chicks because the video was titled HotChicks and featured some gals in a pool paddling backwards at a trade show.  If anything what that poster's meta-message to me was how absurd it was that they used that set up on the video to sell SUP stuff.  Echoed by following posts.  

IMO (I also have a belly button) the initiator of this "Why aren't" thread totally missed the point.

SUP Ottawa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Ottawa - SUP Ottawa
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 10:43:24 AM »
Here here Bob, I believe that post is completely harmless. Sure probably not the most appropriate post in the world, but I think there is more concern to be placed on rude and obnoxious comments, rather than the photos or videos themselves.
Cheers,
SUP Ottawa

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 10:54:55 AM »
It's ok to have an opinion on things but I think some people to take some stuff a little too seriously.

I'm sure it's not a big deal to most people out there.. Life's too short IMO.. Don't worry.. Be happy.

I'm sure there are even some people out there that would think this is wrong..  ;D

DJ

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »

Let's get rid of good whiskey, youth, and summer while we're at it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:03:58 PM by Admin »

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »
I vote to grow up and promote a healthy perspective towards all and remove this thread from the forum.
John
Are you serious? Can't be. That is extremely self centered and arrogant. And pretty funny if so. You must just be trying to stir things up.
Surely a "grown up" person with a healthy perspective would never think that everyone should hold the same outlooks, beliefs, and opinions as ones self and anyone who thinks differently is wrong.
What is grow up? How is that defined? Is that the responsibility thing we are ingrained with and run into in life?
What is a healthy perspective? Yours? Mine? His? Hers?
Just because someones perception is not the same as mine or yours or anyone elses does not mean it is not healthy. Trying to impose the idea of a "think like me, I don't like this so you shouldn't either"  mindset is quite unhealthy and a huge problem rearing it's savage ugly head far to often in everything we do.
As far as the other thread, take it for what it is. Many have said true things here about that. All someones daughter, self policing, etc. Yeah, I know, just because I don't find it offensive or rude doesn't mean you won't but that doesn't mean I should tell you that you have to like it and the way I think is the way you should think too.
Possibly the only post in that thread that is horrible could be the original post. (that was a bit painful)

lol this guy thinks he's a feminist or something.  ;D
Chip?

finsider

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 12:49:37 PM »
Admin wins!
Where there is wind, there is a wave

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 12:51:03 PM »
I'm detecting a bit of self-rightous indignation, it's not like women are being put down, called ugly or stupid, or being shown in that way, they are in fact being enjoyed and and admired.

A beautiful woman is like a piece of art, and there isn't anything wrong with admiring art.  My girlfriend loves pics like that, and most of the women I know have no problem with it at all, and I'm sure the ones posing in the pics, are doing it by choice, and having fun at the same time.

Every surf site has a 'babes' section, or a 'bikinis' section, you'd have a big uphill challange to try to cleanup all those sites.  You don't have to click on every thread if you think you might be offended, and you don't have to click on any site for the same reason.
Be careful out there, this world is full of beautiful women, and thank god for it.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:52:40 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
A beautiful woman is like a piece of art

You either agree with this, or you don't.  That's basically the whole argument.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »
I don't think it's the argument at all.  It's just an aside.  The OP of the Hotchicks video meant to show how absurd it was to sell SUP stuff in the manner of that trade show video.  And then some people took it as a slam towards women.  How is beyond me.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
boys  will be boys as long as there are hot chicks to look at,,  and don't kind yourself the women are looking  at the  guys too. it  is just nature
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 03:50:57 PM »
Headmount, I have no idea how you can glean that from the Hotchicks OP's post.  He just wanted to start a post with hot chicks on SUPs.  I don't think anyone is arguing whether thats wrong or not, just whether its appropriate on this website. 

Its reasonable to assume that such a thread could be offensive to a significant portion of the site's users, and potentially turn some people away.

I'm certainly not arguing against the quality of Admin's pics. 

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 04:19:36 PM »
RAF, a woman's body is a work of art.  That's not even an argument.  Centuries upon centuries of nude art, sculpted nudes, etc. don't lie.

IMO, the postings on this forum are remarkably mature, intelligent, and witty.  Even the occasional "hot babe" thread is always in very good taste.  From what I've seen, the comments never devolve into rude language or vulgar sentiments.

If you folks don't think bikinis and chiseled bods are part of the surf and SUP culture, may we kindly suggest you take up curling or golf instead??

(Full disclosure:  I wear REEF sandals.  And hell yeah, I think the REEF girls R-O-C-K!! )
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM