Author Topic: COCONUT OIL TAUTED AS ALZHEIMERS REMEDY ...CBS  (Read 40470 times)

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
COCONUT OIL TAUTED AS ALZHEIMERS REMEDY ...CBS
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:43:51 PM »
This is something I have known for years and take a few table spoons a day at least. My mom is taking now every day ( she is living Paleo now) and have seen a big difference in her memory and her emotional health.   watch this video

http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/mp4/LJO190v1_WS

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: COCONUT OIL TAUTED AS ALZHEIMERS REMEDY ...CBS
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:47:15 PM »
MY bad CBN news reported this .

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »
Yeah SEA, I also love the stuff but I have a question.  Do you refrigerate it after opening the jar?  How stable do you think CO is?

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:10:21 AM »
 Very interesting stuff in that video... I have a friend that has had Alzheimer's touch close to home. I forwarded the above link to him hoping it might help out...
 I'm also interested in the health benefits myself.. Thanks for the post, SEA...          Paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Finsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »
This will be my first post here, hello everyone! 

This is what i love about these forums, my grandfather has pretty far progressed Alzheimers, I watched the video and immediately called my mother to tell her about it.  She actually has some coconut oil at home and will see if he will take it.

Thank you for posting and I myself am going to start taking it coconut oil daily.  It has other great benefits.

Tim

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »
The Alzheimer's Association notes this but states that there's very little research done. It sounds promising, I hope the science bears this out.

In the meantime, what could it hurt? I may have to even start using it now that I have read a bit deeper. I need to replace some of the bad fats in my own diet.

westbeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:17:40 PM »
Thanks SEA for sharing this! Will look out for some CO next time I grocery shop.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »
SEA got me using the stuff a year or so ago--love it. Great for cooking anything, but Omelettes and fried rice are particularly good with Coconut Oil. I make semi-primal fried rice, which is a lot of vegetables and chicken and just enough rice to bring it all together.

I've found it to be very stable, but I keep it in the fridge because Diane is a food safety nazi. She'd be tossing it if I didn't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »
I have been using Nutiva organic coconut oil . I buy it in 5 gal buckets and leave it stored in my "Board room" . It's insulated and does not get too hot. I also transfer it to bottles with the easy pour spouts like the bartenders used to use at TGI fridays. I leave them out and Never refrigerate. I guess I go through it fast enough that It does not go bad. If you refrigerate it turns hard and is very hard to mix in anything, especially shakes or smoothies.

Coconut is anti bacterial , viral and  fungal so It's chances of going bad are slim to none.

I heard an audio interview with a man who gave coconut oil to his Dad who got a stroke. He gave him 1 ounce of  coconut oil in the morning and one in the afternoon. He said he reversed the pretty bad effects of the stroke in 6 months. So I would imagine a couple of ounces a day of quality virgin cold pressed coconut oil or an organic coconut oil like Nutiva sells , would be the ticket for treating dimentia or alzheimers.

We use only coconut oil for cooking and baking  ( Paleo)  now. Studies show cooking with olive oil turns the oil toxic. Coconut oil can handle high heat very well. I have not gotten sick since starting a regular program of taking coconut oil with my protein shakes in the morning ( over 1 year) . Since it is anti Viral , Bacterial and Fungal It is better than any antibiotic and apparently does the trick. .

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 07:40:33 PM »
I am big into coconut oil as well.  I use coconut milk in may shakes every morning... does that give me the same as taking the oil straight?

An egg cooked in bacon fat and coconut oil... with a smidge of salt and pepper... MMMM.

Last weekend made filet of sole... and instead of Panko bread crumbs, used almond flour and chopped almonds, lemon rind (pinch) and sliced cherries (very thin) ... pan seared it in coconut oil and finished it off will a dill, lemon / (slight) mustard sauce... CRAZY good.

Our house basically only uses coconut oil to cook stuff... My wife tells me that my hash browns cooked on coconut oil are beyond good. (I don't eat those... I just cook 'em)...

So what do you think SEA, replace the coco milk with coco oil?

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

soulpaddler

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »
Does it have a coconut taste, or is it just like an oil?  May have to give this a try.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
i've been using coconut oil to cook with for a few years now and use coconut milk for my shakes and in my coffee as well. stay away from the 'lite' coconut milk and go for the real deal. the coconut cream that is created when it separates it the tick layer on top and you can drop a spoonful or two of this in your morning coffee and it's amazing. coconut oil is also better for cooking than other oils like olive oil because coconut oil remains stable at higher temps before breaking down into the nasties. olive oil is great, but not for cooking and should really only be used as an oil for dressing foods after they have been cooked.

research has also shown that blueberries have also been shown to reduce the plaques in the buildup in the brain contributing to alzheimers.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 09:22:18 PM »
I love and make thai curries all the time. The heavier the coconut milk the better... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 09:33:51 PM »
I love and make thai curries all the time. The heavier the coconut milk the better... ;D

try this recipe: http://paleopot.com/2011/12/easy-paleo-crock-pot-chicken-curry-with-peppers-and-cabbage/

i made it last night, my roommate and i ate the whole crockpot full already and have another batch on the crockpot right now for tomorrow. Only addition was that I added sea salt to taste and it's perfect. Used two cans of coconut milk.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
I am big into coconut oil as well.  I use coconut milk in may shakes every morning... does that give me the same as taking the oil straight?

So what do you think SEA, replace the coco milk with coco oil?

Tim

Tim
Use both !!  coconut oil is good in your shake and in cooking and in just straight up.  You need coconut oil for energy and for good health. If your going paddling for a long time try put an extra table spoon in your morning shake and maybe some coconut milk. You can paddle till mid afternoon and not even be hungy !!  I use coconut milk in my shakes every now and then and once in a while when I have some coffee  , super good.  You don't want to drink to much coconut milk though .. it can pack on some pounds if you go overboard.

All in all coconut milk is good to have once in a while but it is not as good for you as coconut oil. The oil has many benefits and if your living Paleo it's a MUST have item for good health and a well  balanced system.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin