Author Topic: Upgrading My SOS Big Blue  (Read 8735 times)

dakine1214

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Upgrading My SOS Big Blue
« on: November 18, 2011, 05:20:04 PM »
Ive had a great time on my S.O.S Big Blue but after years of fun looking for something a little more progressive. I will never get rid of the board because it is such a quality board but in need of something a little different. Here is where im at. I want a board that can handle more steep take offs. I find myself at a couple breaks when the tide starts to get low it gets too steep and I have to really jump on the back of the board. I want a board also that is a little shorter and can turn a little easier. Looking for a board that i will take out on waist to head high. Ive been looking at the PSH 9'11" Ripper, Naish Mana 9' (not sure if that is too short), Mana 9'5",  nalu 10'6". Stability is a factor cause when it gets choppy i dont want to be spending all my time taking headers. I love the stability of Big Blue but know there will be a learning curve with more progressive board. Any help I would really appreciate.
Thanks
John
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:59:47 PM by dakine1214 »

dakine1214

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Upgrading My SOS Big Blue
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:06:40 PM »
Ive had a great time on my S.O.S Big Blue but after years of fun looking for something a little more progressive. I will never get rid of the board because it is such a quality board but in need of something a little different. Here is where im at. I want a board that can handle more steep take offs. I find myself at a couple breaks when the tide starts to get low it gets too steep and I have to really jump on the back of the board. I want a board also that is a little shorter and can turn a little easier. Looking for a board that i will take out on waist to head high. Ive been looking at the PSH 9'11" Ripper, Naish Mana 9' (not sure if that is too short), Mana 9'5",  nalu 10'6". Stability is a factor cause when it gets choppy i dont want to be spending all my time taking headers. I love the stability of Big Blue but know there will be a learning curve with more progressive board. I really do not have a clue which/what board to get. Any help/advise I would really appreciate.
Thanks
John

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 07:21:41 PM »
what do you weigh and where do you surf?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:44:14 PM »
Whatever you do, don't get rid of the "Big Blue", that board along with the "Big Red" just may go down as two of the earliest modern, sucessful boards of the rebirth of this sport. 
Somebody, someday, is going to start a SUP surfing museum, or add onto an existing surfing museum with a SUP section, and those boards will be a premium addition to the display, maybe even big bucks in the process.
Just sayin'.
It takes a quiver to do that.

dakine1214

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »
i weigh 170 and surf on the big island of hawaii

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:32:22 AM »
Whatever you do, don't get rid of the "Big Blue", that board along with the "Big Red" just may go down as two of the earliest modern, sucessful boards of the rebirth of this sport. 
Somebody, someday, is going to start a SUP surfing museum, or add onto an existing surfing museum with a SUP section, and those boards will be a premium addition to the display, maybe even big bucks in the process.
Just sayin'.

Just sayin'.

Aloha Greg,
True dat...withstanding the test of time...who is still using a computer from 6 years ago?...;-)

We have a section in our "B" shop that we call the SUP museum...it has our original "Big Red" prototype and original production versions...along with a few other historical models...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:28:26 AM »
Hea WD ~
In regards to your last 2 pics, 4.5 to 5.0 yesterday, and maybe even a chance on T-Day.
No better way to build an appetite for the big meal, except maybe SUPing of course.   ;)

Still haven't tried my 8'-10' WP with a sail on it yet, too many options.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:32:16 AM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 09:22:30 AM »
There certainly are boards to keep. A Big Blue would be on the top of any list. Looks like a cherry 12'2" in wood on Wardog's rack. I'd like to have that as well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 10:09:34 AM »
There certainly are boards to keep. A Big Blue would be on the top of any list. Looks like a cherry 12'2" in wood on Wardog's rack. I'd like to have that as well.

Aloha Bill,
Those are actually the original 12'6" wood Cruisers...kept two of them...
I need to put my 12'2" Starboard by Mark Raaphorst on that rack...

Oops...I apologize for hijacking John's thread...hard not to get a little sentimental about those boards back in the day...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

dakine1214

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »
i agree with you all...i love my big red and big blue but still am curiouse what you guys would recommend for my next board???

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 11:35:01 AM »
i agree with you all...i love my big red and big blue but still am curiouse what you guys would recommend for my next board???

hmmmm...how about the Big Green?...;-)

Sorry...had to do it...especially, since you through out that you have a Big Red, also...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »

Aloha John,
You're gonna want a board with a more pulled nose and some rocker...a board like our 9'6" x 30.5" Stoke would work well in the conditions you describe...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2011/09/supsports-new-sup-models.html

Sounds like you keep your boards for awhile...I'd suggest that you demo a few boards from the bigger production companies...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »
Boy, those are very pretty board. Love the pine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dakine1214

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 07:40:59 PM »
just one .... i really thought i would have more responses...i guess this is more of a downwind forum or race etc.  Any surfers out there hellllllllloooooooooooooooooo LOL

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 07:50:07 PM »
just one .... i really thought i would have more responses...i guess this is more of a downwind forum or race etc.  Any surfers out there hellllllllloooooooooooooooooo LOL

I am 5'10 185-190 and went from Big Blue to a PSH 10' and then a PSH 9'6 ripper.  Really could have made the jump right to the smaller as the stability was not an issue.  I ride east coast waves and we get a lot of onshore winds here and the 9'6 ripper worked fine. 

I used a friends 9'11 ripper up in NJ back in Oct.  Was very stable and smooth rail to rail  Plenty of float for me and I was using it in waist high semi choppy surf.  Worked great.

I think there are quite a few choices in the mid to upper 9's.  PSH, Starboard, Naish all have great shapes in those sizes.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:49:29 PM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf