Author Topic: Please support me in giving outdoor adventures to people with special needs  (Read 4079 times)

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
Fellow Standup Zoners,

I am reaching out to my friends and paddling brothers and sisters here on the Standup Zone to support me in sharing paddling and other adventure opportunities with folks who would otherwise never get to experience them. On Saturday, October 15, 2011 I will be stand up paddle boarding a 5 mile racecourse on San Francisco Bay in support of Environmental Traveling Companions’ (ETC) accessible outdoor adventure programs for people with disabilities and economically disadvantaged youth.

I have set a personal goal of raising $300 for my effort and I am asking you to support me by making a contribution toward this goal.

Throughout my life, I have been blessed to have the access and the physical ability to enjoy surfing, paddling, snowboarding, hiking, camping and fishing.  These activities have enriched my life immeasurably, and I have often taken them for granted.  ETC provides outdoor adventures to those who are not as lucky as me, including folks that struggle every day with a disability, and disadvantaged youth from nearby communities.  When I learned about this event at an SUP race last weekend, I knew immediately that I needed to get involved.

Any level of sponsorship will directly and positively impact the lives of people who live daily with challenges many of us can never imagine.  You can follow the link below to donate and learn more about how Environmental Travel Companions makes the outdoor experience possible for others.

Thank you,

Andy Gere

http://www.crowdrise.com/andygereetcfundraiser/

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
My dad did a lot of sailing until he had a stroke in his late 50's which left him with a severe limp & a week left side. An organization in San Diego set up sailing for physicially handicapped sailors and got him back out on the water. Groups like that are awesome (as well as ones that give disadvantaged kids new opportunities & experiences). I'm happy to support your effort.

What's your route in the Bay? I'll be out of town or else I'd come out to watch & cheer you on. Best wishes.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Menlo,
Thank you so much for your generous support.  Your sponsorship will make a meaningful difference in the lives of folks who would otherwise be unable to enjoy the types of experiences that we do on a regular basis.

The SUP course will be a loop that starts at Marinship near the Bay model in Sausalito, heads out Richardson Bay towards Angel Island and finishes back at the starting point.

Thanks again,
Andy

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Have a great time and best wishes on your fundraising. I'm recovering from foot surgery so no SUPing for me until December.  :(

As soon as I can, I'm going to hit Bluerush up in Sausalito to check out some Boga Boards, but I also head down to Santa Cruz. In the past it was for bodyboarding (36th, or the Lane when with my surfing friends). I'm flatwater SUPing now (Coyote Point in the bay or from the Santa Cruz harbor to offshore) but hope to get into SUP surf eventually. When I'm able to get back in the water I'll get in touch and see if we can meet up.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sounds good Menlo.  We have a pretty good group down this way, and do a lot of training paddles, downwinders and of course surfing too.  Join us when you can.

Andy

RyanSurfNTurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Great cause! Can I paddle it with you and donate?

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ryan, it will be a super fun event.  Info on registering and joining is here:

http://www.etctrips.org/old/regatta/index.htm

Let me know if you go for it so we can meet up in Sausalito.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My friends Scott and Leslie Ruble, owners of Covewater Paddlesurf in Santa Cruz just made a very generous donation to the cause, and I want to recognize them here.  Thanks Covewater!
http://covewatersup.com/

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Count me in Andy.

Good on ya!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tim,
Thank you for the support!

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I wouldn't be a good fundraiser if I didn't bring this to the top one more time.  You still have an opportunity to sponsor me for the race this weekend and help bring outdoor adventures to disabled people and disadvantaged youth.

http://www.crowdrise.com/andygereetcfundraiser/

Thank you to all who have donated already!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Thanks for the reminder Andy. Have fun!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bob,
Thank you so much for the support!  You are making a real difference in the lives of people who have drawn a tough lot, good on you.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Way to go Andy... you beat the crap out of your goal!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tim,
Thanks for sponsoring me and helping Environmental Traveling Companions bring outdoor adventures to people who wouldn't have them without your help!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut